Modifications to the german army rucksack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
I’ve been looking at canvas rucksacks for a while now, and whilst I’d really like an FR, funds aren’t in place at present. Fortunately, I saw the classic version of the German rucksack on sale for a very good price so I thought I’d take a punt on one. Given the fact the reviews were limited and mostly not great I was totally prepared to send it back, but I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn’t as awful as some had experienced. There were however a few modifications I thought it needed so I spent the last couple of evenings having a go. I think I’ve made an average rucksack useable for the time being, until I can justify forking out for something else.

Anyway here are some pictures… First job was a good wash in the bath, I didn’t take a picture of the urine water that came out but it was definitely worth the task.

09CC4CFF-C926-4754-A8D9-CB7B0E7FCE02.jpeg

Once dried I used some nail polish remover to strip the green dye off the leather, and re dyed it with a nice brown. This step took a while.
C232932D-253D-413B-B45D-5C5F7272ECF0.jpeg

Then I made up a leather strap to reinforce the shoulder area. This gave the back a lot more structure.
ACC1DB24-E2F5-4568-A667-CC92AF2A16A2.jpeg

Final job was a coat of fjallraven wax. I just rubbed it in and heated with a hairdryer as normal.
324CD759-5BB8-416D-834A-94EB3DD21E49.jpeg

Anybody else done anything cool to these old bags??

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
That looks like a really neat job. Those old rucksacks just look better with age I think. Where did you get it from?

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
That's a really nice job. I like that a lot.

Mine's still got all the original straps and buckles, and it's pretty bomb proof.

I like the idea of the strip of leather across the top.
The sleep mat inside gives a lot of structure and is very handy as a kneeling mat and extra layer for sleeping.

One mod I'll get around to one day is change the velcro tabs for buckles over the pocket where the mat lives. They don't quite grip like they used to.

I added a bungee with a cord lock across the top of the flap. It comes in useful for clothes when you're taking layers off.
I added a sternum strap too.
I'd like to make the carry handle a bit bigger one day too. It would make it more comfortable when it's fully loaded and you have to carry it in the hand.

I love mine, it's my go-to daypack. For the price and robustiness (yes that's a word) it's hard to beat.
1L bottles fit in the side pouches, and just big enough for an overnighter.

Reactions: Minotaur and SCOMAN

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE