But its not a Gransfors......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
20200722_104045.jpg
A few years back I sold my GB Small forest axe, it wasn't getting any use and I needed the money.

Fast forward to last week and when I was at my permission I noticed a beautiful Ash had come down in the winds- no surprise I have had it on my radar as a dont sleep near that for about 6 years.
It's got the most beautiful straight trunk just ooosing with projects and I need to buck it into smaller pieces.
I'm not financially flush enough to justify a new GB (crickey they've gone up in price or I've become more sensible in my spending).

A chat with a mate ensued and he suggested this Bahco Camping Hatchet.
It ticked all the boxes
- sensible price (£27)
-decent weight
-handle length a spit under the fingertip to armpit recommendation.
-Ash handle

It arrived today and other than needing a tickle to sharpen the cutting edge and a new mask (instead of the silly little rubber cover works for in a workshop or travelling in a car) I am very pleased.
Looking forward to taking it out for some work.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Hi Sam.

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with this axe. I have a couple of Bahcos I bought before I knew of GB, so around 20 years ago. I have found they are rather soft steel and really don't hold a decent edge. Be interesting to know if they have improved them over the years.

Dave

Hi Sam.

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with this axe. I have a couple of Bahcos I bought before I knew of GB, so around 20 years ago. I have found they are rather soft steel and really don't hold a decent edge. Be interesting to know if they have improved them over the years.

Dave
ive not heard of any issues like this recently (i checked before i spent any pennies)
i'll report back accordingly

Reactions: MartiniDave

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
I had one and still have one and I sold off my small forest axe after I got mine.
Just a little bit heavier than SFA but it makes it a much more usable axe because of this.
I modified mine as I do with all my axes and sharps

Cheers Russ

Lacijag1

Forager
It is not a bacho but the same head. U can get these hatchets on ebay for £8-10, they are pretty bad as they are but if u put few hours work into them, u can turn them into a useable hatchet-small forest axe.
The head is a bit heavy, border line and the steel is soft, I don't see it as an issue tho. So i tried to make a small forest axe out of this hatchet. Changed the grind, it has an edge now more suitable for cutting rather than splitting.

Reactions: dnarcher

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I bought on for our scout the haft failed soon after getting it. Some weird grain structure in the wood.
The replacement was nice.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE