This miffed me off no end

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks guys - I'm sure if we work together we can stop this sort of silly, untruthful hysteria

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I wish you good luck. But I'm afraid this sort of thing picks up momentum rather than ebbing with reason.

Binxie

Tenderfoot
I don't even understand what the hysteria in this country is anyway surrounding guns. If a nutter is going to go on a killing spree its fairly easy to gain access to a gun of some sort to do it with and if they can't find a firearm they'll just resort to knives. Don't get me wrong, I don't think we should have apsolutely no firearm control whatsoever, but when you look at the statistics of gun offences in this country and realise that the majority of 'real' firearm offences (i.e discounting air and imitation weapons) can be attributed to pistols which have been illegal to own since the 80's anyway.

Of course most people in this country aren't thinkers anymore and will just regurgitate whatever the media says, but Im fairly confident that you would find that knife crime per capita was much higher in the UK than the USA and therefore restricting the weapon is just ridiculous. People will always have a reason to go after one another. They ban guns, they will now nick you for having a knife on you, whats next? Arrested for having an inflatable hammer, a screwdriver, a newspaper? What is more important IMHO is to get developed nations better equipped to deal with and treat the mentally ill so that awful events like this no longer happen. You can't stop legitimate gun ownership just because of a crazy.

The Government in my opinion relies on a poorly educated public and tabloid ****e helps to keep that status quo. If the public were to actually be told the real facts about the world and not about Jordans latest boob job then we'd still have a freeish society where bushcrafters such as ourselves could go out with a 22. and take some rabbits in a woodland somewhere. Unfortuntely the world seems to be lacking common sense anymore. Rant over.

This of course is just my opinion.

ExHelot

Nov 25, 2012
Michigan
It isn't weapons, it's society. When i was a boy of twelve I received my first firearm. I'd used them before but, this was mine. All of my sons (all five) got long guns on their twelfth birthday and every daughter got the option (only one in three took it). They were raised with firearms, respected them and knew that mishandling them was a huge offence. There was no mystery, no strange mojo, they were tools. I took hunters safety when I was twelve to get my hunting license (that made me legal on public land).
When my friends and i took the class we brought our rifles and shotguns to school no one took a second look. We went directly to the instructor who then tagged them with our name and they were then locked in the coaches office in the gymnasium. My how times have changed!!! Or is it the culture?? All I know is that I've never seen a gun kill anyone but, I've seen plenty of people use guns to kill other people. We need to keep it straight. You can ban guns of all kinds and every one that is really motivated will get one. I can walk into the local hardware/DIY shop and for under ten dollars have what I need to make a rifle up to .30 caliber, shotgun, 20 or 12 gauge, or handgun, .22 to .38 caliber.
The social engineering is not the solution. Mental health care, education and respect for life are what's needed. I grimace every time I think about how much hassle people have in other countries just carrying a knife. How long can it be, can it be in a pocket, must it be carried openly? I won't start in on history lessons and all the reasons I believe there should be freedom to be armed unless you are a criminal, because I'm not going to change any minds. I am glad that I can still, for now at least, give an honest opinion whether it's politically correct or not, without fear of government retribution. The time will come though, as long as people insist on a false sense of safety and security at any cost. Phew!
This of course is just my opinion given in solidarity with another (libertarian?).:soapbox:

Last edited:

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Whilst I think we all agree it's daft and understandable people are upset (me included) this thread is on the brink of going political and getting locked
I think it's great the thread turned the annoyance of the OP to positive action of reporting to the PCC so lets keep it positive please

Cheers

Mark

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Whilst I think we all agree it's daft and understandable people are upset (me included) this thread is on the brink of going political and getting locked
I think it's great the thread turned the annoyance of the OP to positive action of reporting to the PCC so lets keep it positive please

Cheers

Mark

Correct, 2 longish running threads over on BB with regard to firearms have gone completely pear shaped with much ill feeling and aggravation within the last 24 hours.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Complaint made.

There is a funny story on another forum where a shooter was told he was cruel by managing bunnies by a woman who bought her son a toy machine gun and smiled as he 'shot' her and told her 'he had just blown her head off'.

Problem in a nutshell.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks c-d - as Mark says, I do appreciate peoples frustration - but wanted to use the thread to take action rather than vent our feelings - it gets us further in the end

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
I agree that the story is rubbish an inaccurate but do think that converting your .22 to look like an assault rifle is a pretty stupid thing to do as we are only ever one backlash away from a ban so why push it with silly tacticool bling

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
I agree that the story is rubbish an inaccurate but do think that converting your .22 to look like an assault rifle is a pretty stupid thing to do as we are only ever one backlash away from a ban so why push it with silly tacticool bling

I'm of the camp that sees nothing wrong with it, there can be some advantages to changing the ergonomics and layout of a weapon but giving how highly-strung and sensitive the public can be these days, it can become a touchy subject.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon

It's not that straight forward, military-styled .22LRs can offer features that more traditional styled rifles don't; it's not just about looks! What's bizarre about the US assault rifle ban is it bans many rifles purely on looks, a bit like banning black cars because someone thinks they are more likely to be involved in an accident.:rolleyes:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It's not that straight forward, military-styled .22LRs can offer features that more traditional styled rifles don't; it's not just about looks! What's bizarre about the US assault rifle ban is it bans many rifles purely on looks, a bit like banning black cars because someone thinks they are more likely to be involved in an accident.:rolleyes:

Now they're proposing banning certain calibers as well! Never mind that the .223 is one of the most popular hunting calibers. Especially for younger hunters who cain't take heavy recoil or for hunting pests such as coyotes and prairie dogs.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Got this today:

Dear Mr Lister
Thank you for your email.
We are currently investigating this article following an earlier complaint. We will let you know the outcome of our investigation when we can.
Best wishes

Simon Yip
Complaints Coordinator
Press Complaints Commission
Halton House
20/23 Holborn
London EC1N 2JD
Tel: 020 7831 0022

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE