This miffed me off no end

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Really having to bite my tongue for this post as i want to F and blind but i'll get a slapped wrist if i do but the media in this country really do need to get their heads out thier backsides and dispense with the scaremongering rubbish and stop trying to ruin life for everyone:

The article in question: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...ooting-weapons-on-sale-legally-in-the-UK.html

The article starts: LETHAL assault rifles like the one used in America’s Sandy Hook school massacre are being LEGALLY sold in Britain.

DO they even bother to READ the crap they spout? The weapon mentioned in the article: http://www.deactivated-guns.co.uk/l...kitted-ruger-sr-15-ar15-clone-/prod_1505.html

As it is based off the Ruger SR15 (SR556) platform i'll like to a vendor to give the stats: http://www.ruger.com/products/sr556Standard/models.html

Straight off you see it's semi-auto or rather one-pull, one-round so WHY OH WHY are they honking on about it being a LETHAL assault rifle...f'in idiots

I had to laugh at this part: Semi-automatic centre-fire rifles were banned in Britain after the 1987 Hungerford massacre, when Michael Ryan, 27, used two of the weapons as he shot dead 16 people. - nowhere on the vendors (deactivated-guns.co.uk) does it even mention whether it is centre-fire or rim-fire so why are they even mentioning it (although you would assume centre-fire if it was a true clone but i believe the SR556 platform is for rim-fire and not centre.

So WHAT it a gunowner wants to turn their perfectly legal gun platform into something a bit more appeasing to their eye? why should they suffer because of idiots?

Just grinds my gears...argghhhhh

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That article is peppered with things that are untrue

An M4 or AK47 legal in the UK? No, they aren't (if they haven't been deactivated)

Absolutely flat out untrue. Tell you what - why not stick in a Press Complaints Commission complaint?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......Straight off you see it's semi-auto or rather one-pull, one-round so WHY OH WHY are they honking on about it being a LETHAL assault rifle...f'in idiots.....

The one used at Sandy Hook was only a Semi-Automatic. That's all that's legal here also.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
The one used at Sandy Hook was only a Semi-Automatic. That's all that's legal here also.

I'm aware of that, the press most likely are as well but as usual they prefer to throw around the words "assault rifle" knowing full well the immediate reception of those words sets "full auto machine gun" into people's minds.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm aware of that, the press most likely are as well but as usual they prefer to throw around the words "assault rifle" knowing full well the immediate reception of those words sets "full auto machine gun" into people's minds.

Agreed. It's also interesting to note that "assault rifle' isn't even a military term. It was invented by the press.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Agreed. It's also interesting to note that "assault rifle' isn't even a military term. It was invented by the press.

Hi Santaman,

It's generally accepted that Hitler coined the phrase Sturmgewehr for the Sturmgewehr44 back in WWII. Sturmgewehr means "Storm (Assault) Rifle", it was then generally accepted as the tern for this type of weapon. Wasn't invented by the press.

Goatboy.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Hi Santaman,

It's generally accepted that Hitler coined the phrase Sturmgewehr for the Sturmgewehr44 back in WWII. Sturmgewehr means "Storm (Assault) Rifle", it was then generally accepted as the tern for this type of weapon. Wasn't invented by the press.

Goatboy.

Although - and here's a bit of nerd for you - Hitler didn't like the S44, and held back production of it - because it he didn't like its looks.........The Wermacht put it into production on the quiet.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Although - and here's a bit of nerd for you - Hitler didn't like the S44, and held back production of it - because it he didn't like its looks.........The Wermacht put it into production on the quiet.

LOL Andy,

I could get nerdy too, though unfortunatley when you display a good knowledge of weapons ( IE the troops using MP40's in the first Indiana Jones film, three years before they were in production) some folk get twitchy and think your a loony.

History is fun though.

TTFN
Goatboy.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well, I have been on to BASC who are on the case, but suggest we also make individual complaints. Article 1 of the PCC code of practice states that

Accuracy

i) The Press must take care not to publish inaccurate, misleading or distorted information, including pictures.

There are clear accuracy issues with this article (thanks for pointing it out Lister)

Complaints can be made here

http://www.pcc.org.uk/complaints/makingacomplaint.html

If people complain officially, they are likely to stop doing it. If we just honk on here, they wont.

Red

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Standard front page fodder for The Sun after a firearms incident whether here or across the pond and we shouldn't be surprised by now, complete bo!!ocks of course.

Thanks for the link Red, have sent the E-Complaint.

Ash Blue

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2007
Manchester
Mainstream news is nothing but government propaganda. Every time the government wants to make a new law restricting something, an event happens just in time for them to justify it. "Problem reaction solution" tactics has been used for generations.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Wonder if someone could pen a letter to the PCC that we could all send individually?, it doesn't matter if we all send the same letter, the PCC would get loads of individual complaints and would be obliged/more inclined to act, im also thinking if there is a standard complaint letter, more people might be inclined to send in a complaint if all they need to do is add their name & address, the letter will of course need to contain 100% accurate information.

And, no, im not offering to write it as there are others here who are far more qualified than i on this subject, but i am quite happy to host a file on my server for others to access if this idea is feasible?.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hi Santaman,

Goatboy.

True enough Hitler actually coined the term but it was never (and still isn't) an acepted military term. The press made it popular in the 70s and 80s.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Wonder if someone could pen a letter to the PCC that we could all send individually?, it doesn't matter if we all send the same letter, the PCC would get loads of individual complaints and would be obliged/more inclined to act, im also thinking if there is a standard complaint letter, more people might be inclined to send in a complaint if all they need to do is add their name & address, the letter will of course need to contain 100% accurate information.

And, no, im not offering to write it as there are others here who are far more qualified than i on this subject, but i am quite happy to host a file on my server for others to access if this idea is feasible?.

Rather than write it, might I suggest what needs to be filled in on the online form?

Fill in your details and then something along the following lines:

***************************************************************************************************************

Newspaper / Magazine: The Sun

Date of Publication: 02/01/13

Headline: Massacre guns on sale in the UK

Internet Link to article: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...ooting-weapons-on-sale-legally-in-the-UK.html

Please explain how you believe the Code of Practice has been breached:
The article makes several factually incorrect statements with the purpose of inciting fear and alarm.

It states:

“A gun just like this was used to slaughter 20 innocent kids in the hands of crazed loner Adam Lanza. Why are they legal here?”

The gun they show is a different make of gun, shooting a different type of cartridge, in a different, far lower powered, calibre. It is not “just like” the gun used by Adam Lanza. If it was just like it, it would be illegal.

The article further states that

“Also legal in the UK ... Colt M4 carbine, Kalashnikov AK47”

Neither of these guns are legal in the UK.

Which specific clause(s) of the Code are you complaining under?:
Accuracy

i) The Press must take care not to publish inaccurate, misleading or distorted information, including pictures.

***************************************************************************************************************

Filling in the complaint form only takes a minute and can be found here

http://www.pcc.org.uk/complaints/form.html

Hope that helps

Red

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Perfect, cheers Hugh, right people, you complained about it on here, now it's time to make it official have your voice heard :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE