This is why I trap (pictures of trapped animals)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
As people may have read, we are having real rabbit problems this year - and, as well as shooting, are using cage traps to manage the numbers - they are effective

Young Rabbit Caught by British Red, on Flickr

Well, today I rolled a really unusual "rabbit" out of one of the traps

Hedgehog in ball by British Red, on Flickr

After a while, the snuffle hog unrolled (it only rolled up when removed from the cage - it had been scratching fleas when I first saw it)

Unrolled Hedgehog by British Red, on Flickr

...and trundled off none the worse for wear

Hedgehog leaving by British Red, on Flickr

I feel quite good about our trapping ethics today :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's a nice post to read whilst having an early lunch, prior to what looks to be a good soaking - I'll be out there with the dog and horses now 'till around 8 pm. :)

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
We used to have cages out for grey squirrels at work. We kill them and take blood samples to monitor squirrel pox.

We once caught a hedgehog in a trap we'd left out and it rolled up as soon as we got near it. We couldn't get it out the trap, while it was rolled up it was to big for the trap door. Definitely less obliging than the one you got there Red!

Not so much of a problem with rabbits here, I rarely see any. In fact the last one I saw was white and black and looked like it'd been let loose rather than a wild one.

However we've got a grey squirrel raiding the bird feeder in the garden and I'm pretty sure it took the young veg shoots too! I'm trying to convince the missus to let me shoot it, or at the very least trap it..

kaiAnderson

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2013
Liverpool
we have humane mice traps that we use then wonder down the fields and release them, although me brother did tell me his work friend trapped a mouse humanely, and forgot about it for 2weeks. may have to get a rabbit trap as they are running our garden ragged.

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
We used to have cages out for grey squirrels at work. We kill them and take blood samples to monitor squirrel pox.

We once caught a hedgehog in a trap we'd left out and it rolled up as soon as we got near it. We couldn't get it out the trap, while it was rolled up it was to big for the trap door. Definitely less obliging than the one you got there Red!

Not so much of a problem with rabbits here, I rarely see any. In fact the last one I saw was white and black and looked like it'd been let loose rather than a wild one.

However we've got a grey squirrel raiding the bird feeder in the garden and I'm pretty sure it took the young veg shoots too! I'm trying to convince the missus to let me shoot it, or at the very least trap it..

I shot two a few years back. They make a very nice stew.

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
I love the pic of the hedgehog strolling away.

"I have fair more important places to be!":D

Thanks for sharing

Ste

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Nice work and lovely pics.

On my way to work I must see at least one or two hogs that didn't make it across the road every morning and it saddens me a bit. We humans keep fragmenting their habitat (at best, at worst we just destroy it), so they have to cross roads.

Good on you goodjob

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
What cage trap are you using British Red?

I use a variety. The one shown above is a basic pressure release (no springs) 30" rabbit trap. its at least 9" square - many I find are to narrow or too short for a big buck to easily enter. There is a short raised platform that links mechanically to the door release. Works well but because its geared to "rabbit weight" small critters will not trigger it. That's good in that you don't have to release them, bad in that they can rob out the bait. Smallest thing that triggers them is a particular female blackbird known as "stoopid" (she has no fear of anything - even running rotovators where she will jump in their path for a worm). She just sits there till I let her out though :)

I find for smaller creatures (e.g. rats) that a spring loaded mechanism is needed to slam the door fast as their bodyweight doesn't close it fast enough. That kind need a real "hair trigger".

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Julia - she was by the veg patch when I caught her :)

Jon, I've tried using children before but honestly, they are more destructive than cats.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE