Berries! Delicious berries!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
It is that time of the year! Berries are everywhere :D

I love to take this opportunity to stock the last remnants of summer on glasses, in the freezer etc. This makes me curious as to what others are making from their berries :)
What berries are you gathering this year, and what are you making? Do you have any interesting recipes to share, or maybe some odd unusual purpose for your berries that others should try as well?
And I am not thinking in terms of shooting berries out of your asses, no matter how spectacular that might be.

I now have blueberry jam, strawberry jam, and a mix of raspberry and red currant jam in the freezer. Today I made 2 liters of red currant (ribes?) jelly! It goes perfectly with this autumns game meat.

This weekend I will continue gathering blueberries, rowan berries and lingonberries. A nice way of relaxing and at the same time doing something useful :)

What do we want?! BERRIES!! When do we want them?! NOW!!

Rognebær by Lykketrollet, on Flickr

Blåbær by Lykketrollet, on Flickr
Blue fingers, or it never happened! ;)

Blåbær by Lykketrollet, on Flickr

Helt på bærtur by Lykketrollet, on Flickr
My dog joining me. The slow pace of a berry hunter suits her 13 year old body.

På bærtur by Lykketrollet, on Flickr

Ripsgele in the making by Lykketrollet, on Flickr
Boiling the red currants/ribes before straining them.

Ripsgele by Lykketrollet, on Flickr
Voilá! 2 l of tasty red currant jelly. That should last for a while...

Tyttebær og blåbær by Lykketrollet, on Flickr

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Rowanberry jam is fantastic to game!

To make it you do as with lingonberries, but sieve out the seeds.
Less sweet and more tart than Rowanberry jelly.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Most of our berries have been gone for over a month. Pears and plums are coming in now and I hope to make a pear pie soon. Also Barbara's in a canning mood (she's making pepper jelly this week) so I hope to encourage her to make some pear preserves as well. Usually with the strawberries I just freeze them for later use. I don't have access to a fig tree here but I dearly miss fig preserves as well :(

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Rowanberry jam is fantastic to game!

To make it you do as with lingonberries, but sieve out the seeds.
Less sweet and more tart than Rowanberry jelly.

I have always eaten it as jelly, but now I need to try making some jam as well :D

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Most of our berries have been gone for over a month. Pears and plums are coming in now and I hope to make a pear pie soon. Also Barbara's in a canning mood (she's making pepper jelly this week) so I hope to encourage her to make some pear preserves as well. Usually with the strawberries I just freeze them for later use. I don't have access to a fig tree here but I dearly miss fig preserves as well :(

I want to try out canning in time :) It is such a great way to preserve food. It is one of those skills I really want to learn.
Pepper jelly, is that like jelly made from chili peppers or sweet peppers?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I want to try out canning in time :) It is such a great way to preserve food. It is one of those skills I really want to learn.
Pepper jelly, is that like jelly made from chili peppers or sweet peppers?

The recipe Barbara has uses both, but the emphasis is on the chilis with bell peppers used as a filler to dilute the heat a bit.

I was first introduced to it in the 1980s and it was a wonderful sweet/hot accompaniment/condiment to cured meats. I've also seen it served over softened cream cheese as a dip for corn chips (fried tortilla chips) or crisp raw vegetables such as celery or broccoli. Really the only limitation is your own tastes and imagination,

The color and heat levels vary with the specific chili used. (this year we had a small crop of cayennes but a much better crop of jalapenos, as well as banana peppers.

Last edited:

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
You would´t mind sharing the recipe for it? (please, please, please!)
I sounds perfect for our household!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You would´t mind sharing the recipe for it? (please, please, please!)
I sounds perfect for our household!

She pulled it off the internet. If you like I'll get her to show me the site and try to link it for you when she gets home (no promises about my technical ability though, I have trouble linking sites if the URL is abbreviated)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Lets see how this posts! www.createdby-diane.com/2015/07/jalapeno-pepper-jelly Be advised that Barbara doesn't intend to use the food coloring and this is her first time using this recipe (she lost the one she used last year)

Also realize that the measurements given (specifically "cup") is an American cup (8 fluid ounces) rather than an Imperial cup (10 ounces)

Let us know how it turns out for you too please!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE