In praise of wooden spoons and muddy paws!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Some of you will recall that I had a good whinge a while back about the lack of large spoons available for the homesteader and preserver of food in bulk. The wonderful gents of Kepis and Muddy Paws sorted me out with some that to many look like small oars but are perfect for five gallon saucepans!

Anyway, to bring things up to date, Muddy paws contacted me recently and asked if I needed more? In all honesty I was embarrassed to accept given his previous generosity, but the good man reassured me so I grabbed greedily!

Spoons by British Red, on Flickr

The top and bottom are large and small Kepis models used for brewing wort and Indian cookery ( hence the stains :eek:)

My new muddy paws models are the middle two. Yes, I have already stained the large one in use :(

The smaller ( relatively) of the two is a thing of incredible tactile beauty. 18" of sycamore, MP polished it with wood shavings to a silly sheen. It's incredible to hold.

So what does one do with such a thing?

Why wreck it by stirring caramalised onion chutney for three hours of course!

New spoon and caramalised onion chutney by British Red, on Flickr

It's just the perfect size for my medium (18 litre) pan.

Weirdly my only shortages now are conventional sized spoons and spatulas. Thankfully those, while nothing like as satisfying to use, can be bought!

Last edited:
Reactions: Muddypaws

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Cool gifts, you can tell you really enjoy paddling around in big pans of your home grown goodies

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Cool gifts, you can tell you really enjoy paddling around in big pans of your home grown goodies

Very much indeed. That caramalised onion chutney would never be made commercially, its still cooking now :). Same with our pickled onions, it takes ten different spices to make our pickling mix. But it tastes great ;)

Just dug up the spuds, carrots and parsnips for Sunday dinner. Some of last years sloe jelly will complement them and the roast chicken wonderfully I think ;).

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
". . . . a thing of incredible tactile beauty." Recent Farmer's Market was Friday, besides grape vines (sold 16), I took a bucket of spoons and forks (sold 4).
Not uncommon comment about the tactile smoothness to hold the spoons/forks. A baked-in veg oil finish will prevent staining.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I must admit I prefer the stain to anything that may taint what I am cooking up. It's all a sign of the tool being used!

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Well deserved gifts BR, karma in action I reckon :) Nice spoons too, so good work by muddy paws and kepis.
Oddly I have just cooked up a batch of red onion relish and pickled some golden beetroot, just not on the scale that you do things;)

Rob

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Very much indeed. That caramalised onion chutney would never be made commercially, its still cooking now :). Same with our pickled onions, it takes ten different spices to make our pickling mix. But it tastes great ;)

Just dug up the spuds, carrots and parsnips for Sunday dinner. Some of last years sloe jelly will complement them and the roast chicken wonderfully I think ;).

Sounds delicious

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Hi Red

Nice to see the new spoons being pressed into service already. Since I have got into making and using wooden cookware I have come to regard staining as a badge of honour, or "added character". My favourite " go to " spoon is half the size of your new sycamore spoon, and is collecting its added character nicely.

Glad you like yours

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE