This is really taking the mickey!!!!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

deepcmonkey

Forager
Nov 6, 2007
Oxford
Saw this on the bay, now I really do think this is getting out of hand!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Authentic-Ray...ryZ16042QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Also one of the new 25th aniversary knives didn't take long!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ray-Mears-Woo...ryZ16042QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This also made me laugh, selling as doesn't require it, but is back on the waiting list!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ray-Mears-Ala...ryZ16042QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is really beyond a joke, there must be to many stockbrokers into bushcraft at the minute. lol

I agree with all - especially jojo. I am lucky enough to own one of his Nessmuks - a better knife for my needs, beautifully handcrafted and my every day user.
Good luck to those who speculate in the RM/ AW market - but £1500?!! Ah well...if it's worth it to someone! The price for these has, obviously, yet to top out. As to the 25th anniversary model: I really liked the idea of a rough forged Woodlore, but good old market forces have put this beyond my reach - hey ho!

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
In my opinion ther'd be no point in buying such a knife: a) I could get a car or somthing of equal good use b) you'd be scared to use it and it would end up in a display case gathering dust for the rest of its life. But my opinions are my opinions and everyone has a right to express there feelings, so try not to get laired up over them.

Hello Fella's

I do tend to agree with some of the statements posted here, but lets face it once one has a name like RM and its a name that a lot of military personell like myself will be glad to of heard of, within the great help that Ray has done for some of our very survival over the years.
Ray is a swell guy, he is only doing his job to remind us all of what has been done before, some of his techniques were done by us whilst on many exercices when he was a small boy, but he is right none the less, you will of watched most of his programs and learned many of the things he has shown for free.

Someone said a boycott, what a stupid statement, that won't bother Ray maybe Allan so why the nastyness, its Allan's living you will be hurting, there are those who are jealous for sure, RM uses whatever knife whenever he likes, lost sales of the Woodlore won't make any diference to him, things must be working though because he is always out of stock.

Why not instead of banging on about this knife, don't you try making your own, there are many instructional videos out there of how to do it, here is one to have a look at below, if you have either a coal fire and or a wood burning stove you don't need the outdoor furness
that Pete uses,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ysKd1cswlo

Davy Stephenson.

B

bushyboo

Hey Davie
Great link ,Its made me want to give it a go at making my own knife . Im just going to wait till the carboot sales start again in the new year so i can get the bits and bobs needed to make a small forge in the back garden

Thanks for the link :You_Rock_

Gordon

Hi Gordon

Just a couple of tips for when you start your project

Make sure you have enough depth of oil so when you can submerge the blade fully about a gallon is enough, then you won't get a load of flames and a better hardening.

When you are tempering the blade finally, use the gas cooker to heat the blade before quenching it in water, the blow torch is too powerful and erratic and the colour changes are much too quick to catch them in time.

Regards

Davy.

deepcmonkey

Forager
Nov 6, 2007
Oxford
To be honest I dont think it has any thing to do with Ray, I think the guy is awesome.

It just makes me laugh, £1500 for a knife! maybe I could see it if it was Ray's personel knife and you were a really big fan and it was signed etc.. but it aint.

I guess a fool and his money are soon seperated

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I don't see the problem with silly prices. If someone has the money and wants to spend it on a RM knife, good luck to them. Some folks see it as an investment, same as buying a picture costing millions. It's just coloured pigment on canvas. It's the rarity factor that makes it valuable. So with RM/AW knives. They are rare in the great scheme of knife collecting so they are going to command high prices. If you think a grand and a half is dear, just wait till Ray and Allan have popped their clogs. Then you'll see some mighty price hikes.

Let them get on with it I say. If you don't like the price, don't bid. Simple.

Eric

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
But somthing is only worth what someone will pay for it ? the fact that has not been sold can mean that its just not worth that much and the only true way to find its value would be to auction it off . Whilst I think the one valued at £1450 was sold at auction for charity for £1300to this seller

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
I wouldn't like to take a knife out that cost me 150 quid let alone that kind of telephone number type price.

I think I'll stick to my Ope and the self grinds (one day I might even get one right), mind you I am a bit of a workshop bushcrafter (I've got out of my armchair, now I've just got to get out into the wilds)

H's Law states "Never take anything to a camp that you can not lose or break."

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Let them get on with it I say. If you don't like the price, don't bid. Simple.

Eric

Wise words indeed.

I can sort of see the attraction of harvesting RM/AW knives and caring for them lovingly but they are not 'paintings'. A painting is a decorative piece that is hung on a wall to enhance the appearance of a room and, if it's valuable, make a statement about the owner. A knife - and this is particularly true of those from the RM/AW stable - is a practical tool that demands to be used in the environment for which it was designed and made. If you are paying highly inflated prices for a knife, you will be more protective about it and less inclined to use it. What a waste! By all means buy the thing, paying whatever you want for it, but then get the most out of it by using it rather than just caressing it.

Does make one realise the value of a good ol' Mora...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE