Thieves beware!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pholland

Apr 26, 2012
Bognor Regis
Just had most of my tools nicked out of my garage at home. One of the most sickening feeling going. There must be something wrong with society when your livelihood is stripped from you in a second.
I can't help thinking things like this wouldn't happen if I lived in the woods and had my own space. Also more more chance of catching someone in a trap and no one would hear!:pirate:
Anyway I just hope the insurance pay out before the frost is over and I don't loose any work from it.
Just a heads up people there is always a vulture around somewhere!

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I had a load of tools nicked when my car was stolen 20 odd years ago. I still miss some of those tools much more than I ever do the car (Mini Clubman). Thieves have no interest in stuff you might have had since childhood and courts sadly don't take that into consideration either on the rare occasions they are brought to book for it.

Lets hope these scumbags slip up and get found out.

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire
People who can steal a man's livelihood have no conscience and in my opinion no place in society. I hope you get your tools back soon .

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
i feel your pain mate, I've been the victim of souless thieving scrotes :(

Unfortunately I don't think being in the woods in the middle of nowhere would be much safer realistically. Nobody would be spotted walking/driving in and nicking everything, they could even torch your place on their way out and chances are the police and fire service would stand no chance of getting there in time to save anything. If you set traps to catch them (other than camera traps) then it is you that would come off worse in the end too :(

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
I know how you feel mate , I lost my toolbag 2 weeks before xmas.
My bag total £1500 , my bosses powertools £2000. Insurance won't pay out as we didnt have a strongbox bolted to the floor of the van.

I hope that you have more luck than me getting yours back.

Craig.....

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Rough that Pholland sorry to hear. Its the fact its your tools that really shows the how much of a waste of carbon they are.
Could of been a pencil rather than a .....

Llwyd

Forager
Jan 6, 2013
Eastern Canada
I can't help thinking things like this wouldn't happen if I lived in the woods and had my own space. Also more more chance of catching someone in a trap and no one would hear!:pirate:

I lived out in the woods for many years and can tell you that the chances of things like this happening to you go up exponentially. Typically it is someone you know too. Traps also do not discriminate between the guilty the innocent or the drunk guy taking a leak. The drunk guy could be you.

Good locks, fences and a layered security that slows people down and forces them to make lots of noise works best.

I understand your frustration though. Take away a mans ability to feed himself and he gets all cranky and wants to shoot things.

Pholland

Apr 26, 2012
Bognor Regis
Thanks for your support all. I wouldn't want the tools back now that some dirty scummer has had his mits all over them. Just hope the insurance pay out really. Nothing I can do now. Life goes on. And what goes around comes around, so my satisfaction comes from knowing there time is limited.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
You've probably already thought of it mate, but Boot Fairs within a radius of home are worth a visit over the next few weeks. If your tools up for sale, don't say anything to the stall holder, go to the cops first. Get a crime reference number when you report the theft and keep it on you, so that you can quote it if you see your property and ask police to attend the market stall. Good luck.

(A boat owner did as the above, and got his outboard back from a boat jumble )

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, what goes around rarely comes around imo.

I had my trailer smashed open and robbed two years back and a few grand of kit nicked by some travellers.
When such a thing happens we generally buck up our idea's on our home/car/garage security and firmly bolt the doors after the proverbial horse has long bolted; but after a while we forget and start getting complacent again.

I'm sorry for your loss, but your posting should serve to remind everyone to check their security; I know I will do this week.

Thanks for sharing.

noonan79

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2012
cheshire
I HATE thrives/scumbags! We've been done a couple of times ( car,bikes,fishing gear and tools) . Me and my mates nearly caught the ones that took the bikes, only for them to hot foot it into some wood near ours never to be seen again, it was a good job we never caught them otherwise it would have been us in trouble with the police for abh! I hope all goes well with the insurance, I know it can be a pain. One thing that I always do now with anything of value is take pictures of it with the receipt in the picture.

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
Sad to hear that, but your no safer in the woods. I have had chainsaws nicked out of a van vault on the back of a pickup in the middle of a 200 acre wood before now

Gweedo

Forager
Jun 23, 2005
Wales
Sorry to hear of it. Beware the common tactic of waiting a month or 2 until your insurance pays out followed by a return visit from those that did it, this time to acquire your brand new tools. Happened to a mate of mine.

geordienemisis

Settler
Oct 3, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
I know how you feel at the moment its make you feel sick to the stomach. I had my tools stolen from our van years ago, it takes years to get your tool kit together. I hope you have some luck in getting them back as insurance just buys new tools no broke in tools you like to work with. Try local boot sales in your area you can always spot your tools.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Thats gutting mate. I seriously have the utmost contempt for anyone who would steal a mans tools.

As has been said, car boots and lately gumtree are the first places to look. Policeman friend says a lot of 'appropriated' gear seems to find its way onto there.

Only for seller to swear blind they got it at a car boot sale and they're innocent guv. Obviously.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Really sorry to hear that bud. I know I'd go loopy if my tools were nicked!

It makes me wonder how I might improve security on my shed. If someone really wanted in, it would take no time at all!

Hope it gets itself sorted out!
Andy

joe.ford

Forager
Apr 8, 2004
Essex
Just heard today that the neighbor across the road had an attempted robbery.

their house backs onto an old railway line, now public footpath.

All was going well for the would be thieving scum, they managed to break down the garden gate. But there was something on the other side they hadn't bargained for.

A huge (and fluffy) Alsatian was waiting on the other side:lmao:

He has the most ferocious bark, it's one of these deep loud scary voices but is a big softy, not that they had time to find out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE