They're making it easier to diagnose Lyme disease..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Probably a nitrogen compound (urea, uric acid and so on) that would decompose to ammonia.
Some sharks excrete ammonia. Stored in the meat, they are inedible.
When you think you have found a site for excretion, move 2X or 3X distant.

Go ahead! Whizz in your drysuit. You only have another 4-5 hours in your shift to marinate in it.
Plan ahead. Gallons of coffee are for the boat going home.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
People today like to imbibe close to dangerous amounts of water, specially before they do a sport.
They call it ’hydrating’, thinking that they are building a reserve of easily accessible water.
Without realising that the regulating organ ( kidneys) start excreting this water excess as soon as it enters the system, so the electrolyte balance is maintained.
Being not a 100% perfect design, a small amount of electrolytes are stripped away from the body.

Of course, most if this water is packaged in nice little plastic bottles, that first add a nice dose of various chemicals to the water, while it dits in hot warehouses or containers while it is shipped around the world.

Then 5 minutes into the five, when the outside pressure increases, many people feel the need for a wee.

Cayman is for some reason a Jerusalem for divers. But our sharks are not being fed by humans, so we only feed human to thevsharks on very rare occasions, maybe once a year. Diver, fisherman, drunk tourist.
Vanish without a trace, so unexplained.
Except a couple of years ago, the only body part of the diver they found, the regulator, had a sharks tooth tip embedded in it.
It made a light coffin to fly home..

But despair not, come to us, drink yourself senseless and wee as much as you like!
Because the little nasty tick lady and the diseases she carries injure and kill far more people
than those cute fiskes!

Last edited:

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
We should not get embarrased about our 'privates'. Part of our mortal coil...
We in the medical business do not have the same cultural inhibitions as normal people. The inhibitions makes our work sometimes difficult, even for me 'The Swedish Toothfairy" aka ' Painless Dentist".

I get them there too, usually in an less visible area behind the scrotum..
Robson V the Canadian mentioned that they are drawn to urine, maybe that is why?

i think it is the warm moist area, i have had ticks in the area behind the scrotum on more than one occasion, warm soft skin and plentiful blood supply?

and yes medics are weird with regards to inhibitions, over the course of my career i have seen more of other peoples genitals than i have my own i think, and its a complete non-event, i literally have other things to worry about. I am also unfazed by faeces urine, blood, vomit or any other body fluid, its usually not someones fault that they cant keep them inside and they need my help so again it becomes a non-event.
However, my weak spot is eyes. eye injuries make me want to loose my lunvh, and i have to take a deep breath before dealing with them.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
My weak spot is puke.
Pus, blood, smells, you name - no problem.

In fact, one of my job’s pleasures is when I open a very hard, pus filled abscess.
The look of relief on the patients face is priceless!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Apologies, Woody Girl.
Deal with this stuff for long enough and you don't care who whacked the triple-injected cat for the anatomy class.
We practiced sewing cuts in agar to learn sutures for nerves. MD's don't have all the fun.

Reactions: MrEd

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The hardest suturing I did was of the small intestine of a pig that was shot by a .30 cal FMJ with a bent tip.

Normal people get queasy, it is us apenormal medicals that are weird.
But none of us enjoy having a needle being shoved into us, just like you....

Reactions: Robson Valley

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
There is an interviewon the Fieldsports Britain YT channel, done at the British Shooting Show, over the weekend.
One of the regular contributers was describing his problems with getting Lymes long ago and the struggle to get it diagnosed and treated.
Well worth a listen, even if you have no interest in fieldsports.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
In fact, one of my job’s pleasures is when I open a very hard, pus filled abscess.
The look of relief on the patients face is priceless!

Mrs Chainsaw is a dentist, her favourite thing also... weirdos ;) Makes our dinner conversations interesting and needless to say the 'little chainsaws' have very little issues with this kind of stuff, too used to it.

Reactions: Janne

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
With the lengthening days, when will the UK tick season really begin ( if you have such?)
I had the dogs (big Chessies) trained to lie still with their heads in my lap so I could clean them off.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE