Ticks and Lyme Disease

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
While I was out in the woods last week I came across some ticks.
As many of you have probably experienced a tick or two in the past I'm sure you'll sympathise - they aren't that much bother, but can still be an irritation. because of past encouters I always carry a tick remover in my first aid kit. The best I have found is the O'Tom tick remover which can be had for a couple of pounds.

This time though I wasn't head-charged by one or two. I think I must have sat on a moulting site. in all I removed over 40 ticks - twelve of which had got quite comfortable head-down in my skin. Apart from two days of twitching at the slightest itch I seem to have cleared them all out, but it did prompt me to look a bit more at their life cycle and Lyme disease in particular.

I thought I'd share some of the information I have dug up as it may be of interest to others in the future. (credits and links at the end)

Introduction
You and your dog may be at risk from Lyme Disease when you visit the countryside. Lyme Disease is a relatively uncommon infection (in the UK,) but it has recently started to occur more frequently. It is caused by a bacterium carried by ticks. People who walk in the countryside, especially those walking through grass, rough vegetation or wild areas such as heathland, are more at risk. Here are some simple precautions which you should take when you visit the countryside.

What is Lyme Disease?

Lyme disease is an illness which can affect the skin and in some patients the nervous system, joints or heart. It is caused by a spiral shaped bacterium called Borrelia burgdorferi. Man and other animals can be infected with the organism but not everyone develops symptoms.

Lyme disease was so named because a cluster of cases of arthritis was observed in children in Lyme, Connecticut in the USA in 1975. This was originally thought to be due to rheumatoid arthritis but subsequent investigation showed the condition to be an infectious disease. However, this is not a new disease; it had been known in Europe under a variety of names since the beginning of the 20th century. Lyme disease is common in the United States and Scandinavia. Other countries in Western and Eastern Europe, the former Soviet Union, and Japan, China, and Australia have all reported cases. It is not a common illness in the UK, with less than 200 cases per year being reported in England and Wales in recent years. There is no evidence that the disease is increasing in the UK but recently it has become more frequently recognised because awareness of it has increased in the general public and the medical profession, and blood tests which can help in diagnosis are now available.

The highest risk was thought to be from April to October when the tick was most active and feeding, but research has now shown that, in certain areas, ticks may be active most of the year.

Can it be prevented?
Yes. The ticks cling to ends of vegetation and wave their legs around hoping to latch on to a passing animal or person - so your first defence is to keep your skin covered.

If a tick attaches itself to your clothing, it may crawl around for some time before making contact with your skin.
Light coloured clothes will help you spot ticks and brush them off.
Ticks are usually most active and seek feeds in the spring, summer and early autumn
Not every tick is infected with the Lyme disease bacterium
Not every bite from an infected tick will transmit the bacterium. An infected tick will not usually pass on B. burgdorferi unless it has been attached to the host for more than24 hours
Simple common sense measures can further reduce the very small risk of becoming infected:
Wear long trousers, preferably tucked into your socks or boots, and long-sleeved shirts with cuffs fastened if walking in grassy, bushy or woodland areas where the habitat is suitable for ticks. Wear shoes or boots rather than open-toed sandals. Insect repellent can be used on clothes if desired, or on limbs if it is not practicable to cover up.
It is sensible to inspect skin and clothing for ticks every three to four hours, especially if you are likely to be in a tick habitat for a prolonged period. Make sure that children's skin and clothes are properly checked.
Remove a tick as soon as possible after being bitten, grasping it as close to your skin as possible. Take care to remove it entirely using gentle but firm pressure; as the head can break off and be left behind with the mouth parts still embedded in the skin, thus also risking ordinary skin infections. You may find that a tick will become detached more easily if it is covered with petroleum jelly for 10-15 minutes before attempting removal. Do not use the frequently recommended method of burning the tick with a match or lighted cigarette.
It is not recommended that antibiotics are given to prevent the transmission of Lyme disease following a tick bite. Only if the area becomes inflamed may treatment be required; see your doctor for advice.
Check your pets for ticks as they are also at risk of infection. Tick repellent sprays or collars may also help.
See your doctor if you develop a rash or become unwell with other symptoms. Let your doctor know if you have been exposed to ticks

What if I am bitten?
Remove the tick as soon as possible by grasping it close to the skin with tweezers. Apply gentle pressure, twisting anti-clockwise upwards, repeating if necessary. Part of the tick may remain embedded, but you will have prevented the tick transferring the infection to you. (Save the tick in a sealed container in case you develop symptoms later.)

Should I see my Doctor?The disease may first show itself as an expanding reddish, round rash (erythema migrans) in the area of the bite. This rash starts three to thirty days later.

Symptoms of Lyme disease

Early symptoms may resemble influenza ('flu,) with swollen glands near the site, mild headaches, aching muscles and joints, and tiredness
Many infected people have no symptoms at all. Some patients develop a reddish-pink rash called erythema migrans, which spreads out from the site of a bite after three to thirty days. Patients may be feverish and have some enlargement of the lymph glands near to the site of the rash. They may also complain of aches and pains and feel very tired. The rash may spread to cover quite a large area of skin but it will gradually clear starting from the centre outwards, even if not treated with antibiotics. The rash usually fades after three to four weeks, although in some patients it may last much longer. Treatment shortens the duration of the rash, and should prevent later complications.

Much less frequently there may be nervous system complications such as facial palsy, which is a weakness or paralysis of muscles on one or both sides of the face. Other neurologic problems include mild meningitis, abnormal sensations on the skin (described by some patients as feeling like sunburn), and numbness, weakness or pains in different parts of the body. These complications may occur months or even years after the bite of an infected tick and some patients with these and other complications do not remember having been bitten or having had an erythema migrans rash earlier.

Lyme disease can occasionally trigger an arthritis which in most affected people will settle down after treatment, but sometimes it may be more prolonged and may recur at intervals. Lyme arthritis occurs more frequently in North America than in Europe and differences in the incidence of arthritis may be due to a genetic predisposition to arthritis in these patients. An abnormality of heart-beat rhythm may occur within a few weeks of the bite, but this is uncommon and responds well to treatment. Other complications are rare.

If you have any of these symptoms and you suspect that you may have been bitten by a tick, inform your doctor. Lyme Disease is treatable with antibiotics and the earlier it is diagnosed, the better.

LIFE CYCLE OF THE TICK
The tick (Ixodes ricinus) is a tiny spider-like creature whose appearance changes with the different stages of its life cycle. The cycle includes three feeding sessions, usually over a three year period. However, in some areas, mild winters and cool summers can modify what is described here.

Year OneFemales deposit several thousand fertilised eggs in soil crevices. By the summer, the eggs have hatched in larvae, which remain inactive in the shelter of leaf litter until the following spring. It has been shown that ticks may be brought into the home and lay eggs. Regular vacuum cleaning should remove them.

Year TwoIn the spring, the larvae become active, climb up vegetation and wait to attach themselves to their host, usually a small mammal such as a field mouse or vole, for a blood meal. After the feed, the larvae fall to the ground, moult into the nymph stage and remain inactive until the following spring.

Year Three
In the spring, the nymphs become active again and have a blood meal. This may be on a mouse/vole or a larger animal such as a rabbit or hare. After the feed, the nymph falls to the ground to mature into the adult stage. Adults emerging in the Autumn or, more usually, the following spring, climb up the vegetation and attach and feed on a passing host (commonly a deer, but also sheep, horses or dogs.) Mating may then take place on the host; the male dies and the female drops off. The female then lays her eggs to complete the life cycle.

Infection of the tick takes place during one of the blood meals, at which, the tick may acquire or transmit the spirochaete Borrelia burgdorferi (the cause of Lyme Disease) to the host animal .

Lyme Disease is usually transmitted to humans by infected nymphs (during year three of their life cycle,) when they bite people. In the nymph stage, the ticks are quite small and will not be felt on the skin. Lyme Disease can also be transmitted by infected adult ticks to human beings when they emerge looking for larger hosts. As the tick feeds, it swells with the blood of the host and becomes more obvious on the skin.

Habitat of Ticks
Ticks are found where there is a combination of the following:

dead vegetation or leaf litter

passing host animals

Many parts of the U.K. are potential tick habitats. Recently, it has been found that ticks from many of these areas carry the infection.

A REVIEW OF LYME DISEASE

Prevention in Risk Areas
Keep skin covered and, where possible, avoid brushing against vegetation.

Inspect clothing and body regularly when you spend time in the countryside.

Remember, dogs and cats may be bitten and infected. If your dog or cat becomes noticeably lethargic and you are concerned about Lyme Disease, seek Veterinary advice promptly.

Removal

Do not panic, but remove the tick as soon as possible.

They will crawl about before biting.

An infected tick will not usually pass on the infection until it is fully engorged with blood.

Not every tick carries Lyme Disease.

Not every bite will transmit the disease, even if the tick is infected and not removed.

Check your pets for ticks and remove them.

Seek Medical Help

Infection is unlikely unless the tick is attached for more than 24 hours. If a rash or 'flu-like illness develops after you have been exposed to ticks, or the site becomes infected, seek medical advice promptly.

If anyone has anything to add to this please feel free. :)

Information taken and collated from:

http://www.wadhurst.demon.co.uk/lyme/lyme3.htm

http://www.amm.co.uk/newamm/files/factsabout/fa_lyme.htm

Slimey

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2005
Hertfordshire
Cheers, lots of good info in one place. I've cut and pasted this into a document that I can keep accessible. Never had a tick myself and having read here about them in the past I don't want one either!

Thanks again.

Simon.

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
:You_Rock_ Great thread. I have suffered these little buggers many times and used the red hot needle method to get them out. Having a steady hand is vital!
Thanks for all the information.

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Excellent stuff Marts thank's!

I have two (minor) addition's;

The erythema migrans rash is a unique diagnostic feature of this disease and normally shows itself as an expanding red ring. It can also show itself as multiple concentric rings like a shooting target or as big expanding disk (a filled ring) but both forms are atypical. The rash is just a discolouration, if it itches, burns or feels painful it's likely to be something else.

A pregnant infected tick can also transfer the bacterium to it's offspring

I was infected last year and had a huge (12 inch) red expanding disk on my leg. I didn't remember being bitten by a tick and had no further symptoms. My doctor ordered a blood test which came out negative. As the rash was still expanding, and he had seen patients with the same rash before, he gave me antibiotics. After 2 days the rash had gone.
The labaratory testing of this disease is notoriously bad.

Tom

twelveboar

Forager
Sep 20, 2005
County Durham
I've got a mate who does a lot of stalking, and he got Lymes, and it hammered him bigstyle. This is not an illnes you want to get. The main problem is Doctors are very slow to pick up on it, so if you find yourself ill and have been out in the woods, then tell them that you may have been exposed. As usual the sooner they get on it the better.
Tick wise, I always seem to get them up in Scotland, the worst being after a day beating on Cawdor Moor, I took about 30 of the dog, then the missus removed about the same number from me. Luckilly I avoided illness as the midges had removed all of my blood. ;)

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Marts said:
If anyone has anything to add to this please feel free. :) [UNQUOTE]

Traditional insect repellents like Deet will help. Where I live in Southern Germany, our house backs onto part of the Pfalz-Wald forest, and we get a lot of ticks due to the deer.

Cats and dogs pick up ticks as well as people's kids. It's kind of unavoidable if you want to spend any time outdoors here. However, get an intimate friend to help check all of your body for ticks - I see this as quite a fun part of bushcraft but you won't see it on 'Extreme Survival'...

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
I have never had a tick bite me, my dog however seems to be a feast for these little critters.
I have become a dab hand at removing them with my leatherman though, grab the head as close to the skin as possible and jerk them out in one sudden movement to take them by suprise.
I do treat my dog with stronghold when they seem really active but these are strong chemicals and I don't like to use it too often, you never know the long term effects of these drugs, no matter what the packet says.

Brendan

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
"You may find that a tick will become detached more easily if it is covered with petroleum jelly for 10-15 minutes before attempting removal."

this is dangerous advise, if you cover a tick, you will sufficate them. This might cause the tick to vomit it's contents in to you.

leon-1

twelveboar said:
A pair of tweezers on the head and an anti-clockwise twist removes them safely.

The excepted method is to evenly pull straight back with no twist as this can cause the mouthparts / head to break off.

The longer a tick is embedded the better hold it will get, they effectively cement thier mouthparts in place, when removing grab the tick as close to the mouthparts as is possible taking care not to put pressure on the abdomen or body (you don't want it vomitting into you).

Pull the tick evenly straight back, DO NOT TWIST as this can cause the head and mouthparts to break off (a cause of secondary infection and abcese), do not pull back sharply just even steady pressure, if the tick has a good hold your skin will rise (almost like pinching it up), stop when this happens and allow the natural elasticity of your skin to pull itself back, it will break the cemented grip reasonably quickly.

Once the tick has been removed examine it to ensure that you have all of it (head and mouthparts) and place in a container so that it can be examined by medical personnel if required.

davef

Forager
Mar 6, 2006
North Lancashire
you can get special tick hooks from the vets. Two sizes of hook which fit round the head of the tick. You then twist the hook around in a circle, the tick gets 'dizzy' and lets go, it is easy then to just lift the tick off. Once removed you can take out your frustration by squidging the tick in as elaborate a manner as takes your fancy.

Our dogs get them fairly often but Frontline/Stronghold do the trick.... shame there's no human equivalent!

leon-1

davef said:
you can get special tick hooks from the vets. Two sizes of hook which fit round the head of the tick. You then twist the hook around in a circle, the tick gets 'dizzy' and lets go, it is easy then to just lift the tick off. Once removed you can take out your frustration by squidging the tick in as elaborate a manner as takes your fancy.

Our dogs get them fairly often but Frontline/Stronghold do the trick.... shame there's no human equivalent!

Dave they are the O'Tom tick removal tools, I have one in my FAK, they are very good, but can't be used on really small ticks (yes I know there are two sizes in a pack), on really small ticks the only proven way of removing them consistently is with tweezers.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
You can now buy tick patches. Just stick them on and leave for a few minutes. They force the tick to back out by cutting off the oxygen and the tick then sticks to the patch enabling it to be kept for identification if necessary.

Probably a good way of teaching children how to remove ticks. :)

Rid-A-Tick

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
A fiver for 6 bits of tape 1" in diameter? Someone saw a business opportunity there... ;)

The thing that would worry me is that I'm under the impression that it's the "backing out" process that involves the greatest risk of infection. As far as I know, ticks can't just "let go" - the only way they can detach themselves is by injectng a digestive enzyme which dissolves the skin in the immediate area, and that's the thing that's most likely to carry infection. This is the reason why you're advised against burning them or covering them in vaseline.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
OK.

'Folk' Methods that are now considered bad

Smearing with Petroleum Jelly, ointments, ether or gasoline
Fingernail polish
Grease
"using a suture needle to apply pain to the tick's face for removal."
Cigarettes, matches or any other form of direct heat.
70% isopropanol

None of these methods initiated self detachment in laboratory tests. The ticks apparently have enough oxygen to complete their feeding cycle anyway. And as for "applying pain" :eek:

More modern "emergency" methods have also been tested. Injection of local anesthetics (lidocaine, lidocaine with epinephrine, and chloroprocaine) also failed to initiate self-detachment. While there are chemicals that will initiate self-detachment, health risks are associated with the use of these chemicals and should not be used. Napalm, for instance, while 100% effective can cause a certain amount of heat rash to your bits. :rolleyes:

Laboratory tested tools that have been found effective are:

Ticked-off
Tick nipper
Pro-tick remedy
O'Tom
standard medium-tweezers. - although with deeply embedded ticks (such as the lone-star tick) 95% of tests resulted in mouthparts remaining in the test subject (don't ask what it was)

So.. no more nonsense postings about tick removing by starving them of air. ;) A steady hand and quick action are the order of the day :)

References
http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/~acarolog/tickgone.htm

http://www.sc-lyme.org/ticks.html

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/1999/lymeside.html

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Good info there Marts! Nice one. :)

In the past when I've managed to leave mounthparts behind when removing a tick, I've usually dug 'em out with either a needle or the tip of a sharp knife. Sterilize your tool of choice first using heat, clean the area before and after, and apply antiseptic. Just like digging out splinters really...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE