Ticks and Lyme Disease

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
A method I have seen for removing ticks that looks effective, I think a link was posted on here, uses a piece of thread.

Tie a loose overhand knot in the thread pass the loop over the tick and pull tight.

This should grip the tick in the knot and you can pull the tick off.

Obviously if you have removal tool you won't need this idea but it seems to fulfil the reccomendations about how to safely remove them.

Not tried this method myself, the couple of times I have seen ticks, on my young son behind his ear both times, the tick has brushed off.

BobFromHolland

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 9, 2006
Rotterdam, NL
http://www.otom.com/
I use these and am well excited of them.
Had to use it last week as well. Most of the hiking I wore long legged trousers and found five of them on my trouser-legs after a stroll through the underbrush, but my wife had one bite her.

It came out without a problem 'alive and kicking'. I sadly had to crush the bugger between my fingernails, just to prevent it from tucking in again.

Bob

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
Good one. Loads of info.

I've been using dried marigold petals in a cloth bag as a deterent for years. My old Grandad told me about them after coming back from excercise in Germany.

Yes I did get some strange looks at the officers mess when I asked if I could deadhead their flowers.

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
Did anybody else see the news item about the dog that died from a 'Brown Tick' bite in Kent.
The tick, previously unknown in this country, is thought to have bit the dog while walking alongside the channel tunnel link in Ashford. Unknown if the tick continued walking.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
this thread is cursed.. i have only had one tick before and it was about two years ago, i was reading this post this morning just before going out when i got in to my car and look down at me knee what do i see but one of these little pests sucking away!! got it off ok though :rolleyes: ticks 0 tomtom 1

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Hope you didn't use the using a suture needle to apply pain to the tick's face for removal method Tom Tom :eek:

Naruska

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 15, 2006
Finland
This is one disease you do not want to get...I know several people who have been inflicted and none of them reminiscise fondly...

Initially, doctors tend to mix up symptoms with other minor ailments...but if untreated/mistreated it can lead to complications with permanent effects ie. kidney malfunction or failure etc.

Marko

pteron

Acutorum Opifex
Nov 10, 2003
Wiltshire
pteron.org
Naruska said:
This is one disease you do not want to get...I know several people who have been inflicted and none of them reminiscise fondly...

Initially, doctors tend to mix up symptoms with other minor ailments...but if untreated/mistreated it can lead to complications with permanent effects ie. kidney malfunction or failure etc.

Marko

Agreed. I used to live in Hunterdon County New Jersey, a major Lyme disease black spot. We knew loads of people who had had the disease, one guy had not spotted the tick and months later was walking on crutches as the bacterium had attacked his knee joint. This is in an area where the doctors know about the disease and are on the lookout.

The treatment is a massive dose of antibiotics, although they were investigating a vaccine when we were there.

Saskia

Mar 2, 2006
The Netherlands
Nice overview of information, Marts.

I've just finished my MSc-thesis on tick habitats. Therefore some information about where to expect most ticks.

My most important findings are that the presence of small rodents (wood mice, etc.) and roe deer are very important for the presence of ticks in an area.
Forest with an herb layer (grasses, bilberry, etc.) is the main vegetation type were ticks occur. Deciduous forest is preferred, but they occur also in pine forest as long as there is an herb layer or thick layer of leaf litter. Meadows are often too warm and dry for ticks. They are sensitive to desiccation. But also here, ticks can occur.

So, be alert to ticks when you're outside and check your body every day!

For the Dutch people here: I have written an article about ticks and Lyme disease for the magazine of a camping club. (It is not scientific!) and the information in it is similar to what Marts has written, but in Dutch. Just send a PM if you would like a copy of it.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
I posted a comprehensive thread on best practice for removing ticks last year on the forum, including relevant graphics showing how to do it properly. The thread can be found here:

Tick Removal

This was in response to a lot of misinformation etc found on the net.

One of the best European sites for reliable and scientific info on the subject can be found here:

EUROPEAN UNION CONCERTED ACTION ON LYME BORRELIOSIS

Loads of detailed info and images etc. As with all things knowledge and experience changes over time so keep an eye out for changes over time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE