The "What is this bug?" thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Flies do not have nymph stages. Egg, several instars of larva, pupa and adult. Judging by the poor degree of melanization, I'll suggest a newly emergent adult.
Flies are Diptera = one pair of flight wings and the other pair reduced to haltere balancing organs. I see two obvious pairs of wings so Hymenoptera is a possibility.

I did not say it was a fly. I said it was a Barkfly nymph

http://www.brc.ac.uk/schemes/barkfly/introduction.htm

Psocoptera are an order of insects that are commonly known as booklice, barklice or barkflies. They first appeared in the Permian period, 295–248 million years ago. They are often regarded as the most primitive of the hemipteroids.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psocoptera

Here is an adult from the same location but I have no idea if it is the same species.

Barkfly by Alf Branch, on Flickr

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Quality thread. Good banter too.

Can anyone get a bit more specific on this Syrphid for me?

SKd5N4R.jpg

And this bee on Himalayan Balsam?

VTEG8hA.jpg

Last edited:

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
DSCN3416.JPG So, attached is an action shot, of two unknown (by me) insects doing the... er.... wild thing... whilst chowing down on an unfortunate bluebottle. Sorry for the crappy image. They sort of look familiar, as in I've seen them flying aound before, but no idea as to the species?
DSCN3411.JPG

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Found this on my red currant bush today. Very interesting, striking colours and the transparent wings, and what looks like feathers at the rear. Only wish I had the ability to take better pictures. 20180604_093951.jpg 20180604_093901.jpg 20180604_093901.jpg

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Last edited:

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
View attachment 49166 So, attached is an action shot, of two unknown (by me) insects doing the... er.... wild thing... whilst chowing down on an unfortunate bluebottle. Sorry for the crappy image. They sort of look familiar, as in I've seen them flying aound before, but no idea as to the species?
View attachment 49165

What you have got is something like this a pair of Empis flies mating while the female eats

empis-stercorea-mating-and-eating by Alf Branch, on Flickr

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
This looks like a Currant clearwing to me a type fo clear wing moth
Synanthedon hylaiformis

Many thanks for clearing up the mystery for me :emoji_thumbsup:
I searched for the Synanthedon hylaiformis, but it threw up no further info? but I did find Synanthedon scoliaeformis, which is, apparently called the the 'welsh clearwing' looks identical to the one I saw. I must admit to having a love for moths, but have never seen one of those before.

Reactions: brancho

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE