The "What is this bug?" thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I'd go with a Meloe too, and I don't know which one either, although M. proscarabeus is the commonest UK species. I would love to have seen that, as there are relatively few records of Oil Beetles from the southern part of Wales. Brilliant find.

Paul, as a local naturalist and invertebrate recorder, I wouldn't mind knowing exactly where and when you took that shot, if you are willing. PM me if you like.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Some older ones from may here:

A very small beetle-ish type of thing:

Centipede of about 3-3.5 centimeters long.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Niels,

The centipede is a species of Lithobius. In the UK I would guess at L. forficatus, but couldn't be sure (need to see the number of teeth on the mandible and the shape of the pores on the hind legs, amongst other things).

The beetle is more difficult, at least for me. I think it might be a Tenebrionid, but that is as far as I get, and even that might be wrong.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Thanks. The centipede makes some sense now. I understand that me being on the mainland complicates the identifications even further.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Is this a ringlet butterfly? Sorry it's a bit dark...

120713a_zps7acfd305.jpg

Lynx

Nomad
Jun 5, 2010
Wellingborough, Northants
I was out walking last weekend when two longish looking flies landed on my arm (I was in a grass field where sheep were grazing if it helps). When I spotted them I flicked them off and whilst doing so caught one of them and squished it over my arm. It was full of blood; my blood! I noted the two spots of blood where they had been sitting. I felt nothing whilst they had been feasting but I'm now curious to know what they were. Any ideas?

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Yes, that's one of the Euophrys jumping spiders. Difficult to be certain from those pictures, but may well be Euophrys lanigera, which is fairly common around houses and human habitations. Nice little beastie.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
This hedge was full of these spiders and they had holes. He didn't defend it though, he just ran in there. Big fangs it had too.

Attachments

• 2013-07-14 18.08.09.jpg
    2013-07-14 18.08.09.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 6

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I'm going to chuck this in here. it's a burnet moth, and I think it might be a Narrow Bordered Five Spot Burnet, but it is so old and worn it is difficult to tell.

9288514190_f66aafca97_b.jpg

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Yes, that's one of the Euophrys jumping spiders. Difficult to be certain from those pictures, but may well be Euophrys lanigera, which is fairly common around houses and human habitations. Nice little beastie.

Thanks for that, for a while there I was worried they were ticks tbh!!

We seem to get a lot of them, strange spotty almost spider looking things!!

Very interesting too, I'm gonna do a bit of research on them.

Thanks
Steve

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
Spider for you Harvestman, big girl too (or seemed to be anyway)

And I'm pretty sure this is a Peach Blossom Moth

Apologies for the pics it was dark and late and I couldn't be bothered to set my tripod up so I used flash

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Lovely animals Wattsy. Peach blossom moth yes. Very nice.

Spider is one of the Gnaphosidae, usually referred to as Drassids, or Stone spiders. If that one was found indoors, and is really as dark as it looks, then it is probably Scotophaeus blackwalli, usually referred to as the Mouse Spider because of its hairy appearance. If it is actually more silvery-grey, and was found outdoors then it will be a species of Drassodes, probably Drassodes cupreus. Based on what I'm seeing here, I'm going with Mouse Spider at the moment.

There are other possibilities, but those are the most likely.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE