The Teabag Debate?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
nobby said:
That sounds like Five Pints

Condensed milk is very high in sugar and was made by Nestle in tubes but I don't think they do it anymore.
You can still get the Nestle condensed milk in tubes in the UK, but not all Supermarkets stock it. I usually get mine from either Tesco or Sainsburys. :)

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
I don't drink tea or coffee, taste reasons rather than health. But recently started drinking Chocolate Chai from Whittards (Thanks Womble for pointing me in its direction) Lovely stuff.

By the way Rich, Scott.

No idea what tea, milk, sugar that Ray uses....But I heard from a good source that his favourite biscuitis teh good old chocolate covered Digestive!! :D

:lmao:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm a confirmed Tea Jenny, and I like good tea, and, I have amassed a collection of tea strainers over the years. The best of the lot is this one from Nothing But Tea .co.uk (usual non profit disclaimer)

http://www.nbtea.co.uk/acatalog/tea_accesories.html

third item on the page

It fits neatly inside my mug/ pot/ billie and it works with everything from tea to coffee grounds, from pine needles to acorns :D
Not cheap, but it's lasted for years of daily use and has on occasion strained my rice and pasta too.
Tea bags (once in a blue moon I use a tea bag, and then it's usually a fill it yourself re-useable one)....use them to soothe tired, fire smoked eyes during a quiet after dinner nap ;) and then burn them. If there's no fire I just rip them open, scatter the leaves and put the skins in the rubbish bag.
I do know that the Tetley ones don't rot down well in the compost heaps :(

atb,
Toddy

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
nobby said:
They are biodegrable but it is best to tear the bag because it is designed to last a long while in water.

Tea bag paper is made with wood pulp and vegetable fibres, made from bleached pulp abaca hemp. Of all papers it is probably the strongest. The unused teabag waste is often used as pet bedding. (hamsters and the like)

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Purists close your eyes...I actual use Typhoo QT Instant tea. I think you can get it in Tescoids. Solves the problem about tea bags and milk. Actually not a bad taste either. Lemon tea is great in the summer.
Pablo

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
Why bring tea when there is all kinds in them woods pine needles no worries just put back into mother earth

Feb 10, 2007
London
Thanks All for the contributions. I think i may go with the tea infuser idea as i can use it with coffee and other natural infusions. As has been expressed here the biggest problem with teabag disposal is the bag itself so i think i will take it out of the equation.

Thanks again....Paul :D

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Sorry to did up an old thread, but has one tried QT, tea granules with milk powder mixed in it. Sold in many shops / supermarkets ? I think I tried some years ago while second manning in a truck, but not sure. If so, I seem to remember it was okay, the biggest thing was it was too hot.. lol

Cheers, Nag.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Not only do tea bags burn when wet (well, they dry out quickly and then burn) but I know one blacksmith who drinks so much tea, he actually lights his forge with the bags!

Also, for those people taking washing up liquid to do their pots in the bush; I hope it's the biodegradable variety ;)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
<sigh>

Boil a kettle.

Use a proper china teapot (none of your metal rubbish)

Quarter fill the teapot with boiling water, swill carefully for a minute and discard (to "warm the pot" )

Using good, high quality leave (Assam, or Darjeeling - PG is not a type of tea) add one heaped teaspoon per CUP (not mug) and "one for the pot". You use a teaspoon. Hence teaspoon

Fill the pot with the right quantity of water

Add a teacosy to keep the pot warm

Leave to stand for five minutes

Always add the milk from a jug (or a slice of lemon) first, them pour tea into the cup. This slowly increases the milk temperature. The correct expression as to who will pour is "shall I be mother?" as traditionally mother pours the tea. Two people should not pour as one will become pregnant ("two hands on the pot"). The tea is poured out through a fine tea strainer which prevents the leaves entering the cup. The strainer has its own bowl to sit in.

When enquiring about sugar "do you take sugar"..."yes please"...", the next question is "one lump or two"? Sugar comes in lumps and is added using sugar tongs, not a spoon.

A teaspoon is added to the saucer (never put in the cup) and the drinker stirs their own tea (clockwise).

When the first round of tea is poured, a jug of hot water is added to the pot and the cosy replaced.

Indian tea is traditionally drunk white, china tea black. When entertaining formally, both are offered ("Tea"..."yes please"..."China or Indian" etc.)

Sandwiches or cakes should be small enough to balance on the saucer.

the terms "mashing", "Stewing", "getting a brew on", "Brew oop chuck" and similar vernacular expressions have no place in the British tradition of tea.

That did not win us the empire!

And Spikey, as I have been forced to tell you on a previous occasion when advising colonials on the proprieties of imbibing, there is no place for the expression

"Me got a free monkey" :rolleyes:

Now , please, pass the port

Red

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
:lmao: thank you Red... however I for one am not taking my best china nor am I taking my best Tea to go camping with. I am fully aware of the correct tea making procedures.. :D Although it would make an interesting and amusing moment with my associates whom I go camping with. We could always hire some lackie or other to do for us too.. ;) Although these days one can never find decent help.

Cheers, Nag.

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
<sigh>

Boil a kettle.

Use a proper china teapot (none of your metal rubbish)

Quarter fill the teapot with boiling water, swill carefully for a minute and discard (to "warm the pot" )

Using good, high quality leave (Assam, or Darjeeling - PG is not a type of tea) add one heaped teaspoon per CUP (not mug) and "one for the pot". You use a teaspoon. Hence teaspoon

Fill the pot with the right quantity of water

Add a teacosy to keep the pot warm

Leave to stand for five minutes

Always add the milk from a jug (or a slice of lemon) first, them pour tea into the cup. This slowly increases the milk temperature. The correct expression as to who will pour is "shall I be mother?" as traditionally mother pours the tea. Two people should not pour as one will become pregnant ("two hands on the pot"). The tea is poured out through a fine tea strainer which prevents the leaves entering the cup. The strainer has its own bowl to sit in.

When enquiring about sugar "do you take sugar"..."yes please"...", the next question is "one lump or two"? Sugar comes in lumps and is added using sugar tongs, not a spoon.

A teaspoon is added to the saucer (never put in the cup) and the drinker stirs their own tea (clockwise).

When the first round of tea is poured, a jug of hot water is added to the pot and the cosy replaced.

Indian tea is traditionally drunk white, china tea black. When entertaining formally, both are offered ("Tea"..."yes please"..."China or Indian" etc.)

Sandwiches or cakes should be small enough to balance on the saucer.

the terms "mashing", "Stewing", "getting a brew on", "Brew oop chuck" and similar vernacular expressions have no place in the British tradition of tea.

That did not win us the empire!

And Spikey, as I have been forced to tell you on a previous occasion when advising colonials on the proprieties of imbibing, there is no place for the expression

"Me got a free monkey" :rolleyes:

Now , please, pass the port

Red

:eek:

Wow, what a lot of rules to follow!! I think the only Rule on beverages that I will adopt from my British friends is to " always pour your Guinness to ensure a head of at least 1inch, and drink it cold " . Now That is a tradition worth keeping !
Beer = Canada.
:lmao:

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Thanks for that Red, my first belly-laugh of the day!

But - are you supposed to trim the crusts off the little butties?

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE