The Teabag Debate?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 10, 2007
London
Hi All,

I guess like me a lot of people out there like a nice cuppa whilst out and about! This got me thinking (dangerous i know!) as to what others do to dispose of their used teabags?

As the saying goes "take only memories and leave only footprints". So should i take them home with me (as i do now), bury them (are they bio degradable?) or sling them on the fire?

This then lead on to another train of thought should i start to use tealeaves again and can you still buy decent tea strainers?

I am interested to know your thoughts.

All the best....Paul

Johnboy06

Tenderfoot
Aug 18, 2006
Ellesmere Port
If there kept in a seperate container and ur taking them with you at the mo y not continue doing it anyways its not gunna add any weight? Wonder what the actual bag is made of tho im gunna check me pg tips im on me fourth cup this smornin anyways lol

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
If I'm out with my Kelly Kettle I usually sling them into a bush or another out-of-the way place :eek:
If I am by the fire in a camp I will burn them.

I haven't seen much teabag litter about..and there are worse things to leave lying around.. dog poo, for example.

It's a dog poo minefield out there.

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
They are biodegrable but it is best to tear the bag because it is designed to last a long while in water. Also, in a save the planet and its resources and all the people on it mode, when you have two used teabags you can reuse them together and make a third nice cup.
Personally, I find human turds a lot more objectional to dog turds and there are a lot of human turds out there.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Beat me to it Glen. A mesh tea ball infuser is the way to go. All thats left is leaves!

Red

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Yes does anyone know what tea Ray drinks?? While you're at it what about brand of milk too and sugar and cream and...

TobyH

Forager
Apr 4, 2006
Deepest, Darkest Suffolk
Next you'll be asking what toilet paper the man uses!!!(if any)

Slight hijack but I've been trying to find out what dried milk powder works best. I had some on the Woodlander (by Woodsmoke in the lakes) course and it was really nice, but no idea what make it was or where to get it. Any ideas?

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Whatever I pack into the DB's with me, I packi out. Well....except for...you know.

For garbage I carry a few small zip-loc bags inside my pack that I fill up as I go along. No trace camping is a wonderful thing and it needs to be practiced by everyone who spends time in the bush. It doesn't matter if you're a bushcrafter, a mountaineer, or someone just taking an afternoon stroll.

And that goes for tea bags as well as canned food.

Adam

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Tera them open, scatter the leaves and burn the paper. The paper seems to last for a long time.

I found some milk powder in Uk years ago that comes in a white plastic bottle that is supposed to look like a milk bottle, with a blue plastic lid. It was brilliant stuff, mixed into a brew without horrible floaters and was great for making up milk for breakfast. I am now sold on the idea of condensed milk, which is fantastic stuff, and I believe you can get it in a squeezy tube in normal supermarkets in UK. If you want normal milk, just squirt a load into a pan and add water until you get the consistency you want.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Drink coffee then you won't have any waste!!:)
Coffee and Tea are both diuretics (I think that is how you spell it!) so change to coffee and problem solved!

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
spamel said:
I found some milk powder in Uk years ago that comes in a white plastic bottle that is supposed to look like a milk bottle, with a blue plastic lid.
I am now sold on the idea of condensed milk, which is fantastic stuff, and I believe you can get it in a squeezy tube in normal supermarkets in UK. If you want normal milk, just squirt a load into a pan and add water until you get the consistency you want.

That sounds like Five Pints

Condensed milk is very high in sugar and was made by Nestle in tubes but I don't think they do it anymore.

A 50/50 mix of Coffee Mate and a powdered milk with added water makes a good milk substitute for cereals. haven't tried it in tea because I like the rat pack strong white tea which only needs water.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE