THe survival experts know nowt:)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Funny that, hasn't it been in the news lately that a town called Hell in the states has actually frozen over with all this cold weather they're having? Looks like the BG school of Survival is open for class mate :cool: :)

Only Joking btw :rolleyes:

article-2535709-1A7D371000000578-703_964x531.jpg

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've driven through Hell twice and under it too.

I still don't think BG has got anything to teach me.

Ooooooof, thats a proud boast Gary, you may not like his shows and the theatrics employed (I'm not a great fan of his shows other than the one on the Legion which I did enjoy) but he's still done way more than the overwhelming majority of us here when you think about it so I suspect his knowledge base could in fact offer some things to learn and not just how to book a wilderness hotel but from experience gained on his past junkets into the Arctic and the Himalayas, desert and jungle et al.

Ray Mears shows were started off in the UK and pretty much geared at a UK audience, perhaps if BG's shows had been a British production we'd have seen more of his real skills...sadly his shows were/are primarily focused on the Semper Fi, Do or Die, Gung Ho, Gung Ho American audience.

I bet I'm a better cook than him though :)

I love the entertainment I get here! :) first a few comments from personal experience. I always carry several "Bic" lighters, but if they get cold they don't work. zippo's do if they have a flint and fuel. I can guaranty you fit people sweat less and need to drink way less to stay hydrated. A quinzy if built right only needs to be 6" thick and you could stand on it when it has set. BUT its a lot of work to build unless like Wayland you find a nice pile of snow. a tent is much quicker and easier but colder if you don't have a stove or something to add heat.
Most Arctic peoples don't need to exercise to generate heat their internal furnace kicks in as needed even if they are sleeping, I'm told Australian aboriginals do too

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Ah - glad to see you're reading this in the right spirit, EssexMonk:) And for the others, I suppose I'd better come clean and say that some of my comments may have been slightly tongue in cheek. Although having said that, I also believe that there is an underlying truth behind them!

You're absolutely right about Bics, which is why I always carry several in sub-zero temps, and in a warm place so that it'll work! But I'll also carry petrol lighters - my preference is for Imco, and some matches too. And meths, and a pocket wood stove - again my preference is for the ultralight Emberlit Ti, and preferably a multifuel stove or two as well. As you can gather, I'm not trying to climb K2 in a dash either:)

Quinzys only 6" thick? Rather you than me! However, I will dispute you re the "cold tent" issue. I mentioned Jervens bags before, and the reason is that its a lot warmer than a quinzy - for a good example of that see the following from a man with no arms and a huge sweat problem re his trip to the North Pole... http://www.jerven.com/reference-from-the-south-pole

Also a good article re the independent testing of the bags http://www.jerven.com/the-sintef-review

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE