THe survival experts know nowt:)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
It's ok if the fatty sleeps in their sleeping bag naked. Any clothing at all will cause instant frostbite. It's true I read that in another tire kicking thread somewhere ;)

Alan

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Being not very fit myself I would add one important factor into this argument.

I stop before I get sweaty and change my layering.

Fitness aside. Often the most important thing is to think... Think about what you are doing. Even more important, think about what you are going to do, and adjust your clothing and actions accordingly.

As for the fat issue, it's not just about insulation or energy reserve. It's also about the surface area to mass ratio. A ball loses heat slower than a bar of the same mass and material because it has a higher ratio of surface area to radiate heat.

Now, can we get on with the light hearted rant while I eat some more Xmas Chocs and work on my seal like physique...

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
You can be 'fit' and still carry a few pounds of fat on your body. Period.

People like Sir Ranulph Fiennes will deliberately put on weight before expeditions as the 'reseverve fuel' is on hand for the body to use when needed. Even eating 5000 cal + a day he's gone into Ketosis on past trips.

My friend Dave was a right beer monster when he was in the army. A good hefty beer belly to go with it.
He could run sub-3hr marathons.

Exterior fat does not always equate to lack of fitness.

As for the bare foot thing; erm, people didn't always have shoe shops down the road you know. I used to run barefoot and have done many miles in sub-zero weather. Bloodflow goes up and your toes don't drop off.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Hee hee - apologies to those who have taken things a bit too seriously on this thread! (And don't worry - I haven't forgotten Part 2...coming soon) However, it's raised some interesting points.

Mrcharly posits that we weren't born wearing shoes, and having attended three births I can confirm that:) However, most paleontologists and geneticists believe Homo Sapiens originated in a tropical climate, where clothes weren't necessary. As HS spread, his clothing and body-shape changed to fit the changing environment. I'm not disputing that having a brisk run in the snow without shoes may indeed be possible, due to the heat from the exercise allowing blood to flow more rapidly through the body and staving off hypothermia, even in the extremities. Trouble is, sooner or later you've got to stop! You don't see seals on iceflows jogging on the spot to keep warm, do you? Or Innuit, for that matter; in their case it is the exact opposite - they need to be absolutely motionless for hours at seal blow-holes, waiting to dinner to arrive... Blubber rules:)

I must also dispel the myth about the lean, mean fighting machine that is the optimal soldier physique. It's not optimised for Arctic conditions, being a general-purpose design capable of fighting anywhere, and specifically honed to carry large loads on its back - after all ammo isn't light! And one must remember that very little of the globe is within the Arctic/Antarctic circles. Because of its poor Arctic design - very low body fat for example - it requires continuous external support in the way of food and other supplies, both military and otherwise.

And this exercise thing - it's deadly. If you don't die of a stroke or coronary, you'll likely get run down by a car or lorry as you run or cycle on the roads. Even if you survive, your body won't thank you - your knee, ankle and hip joints will wear out, never having been designed to run on hard surfaces. In short, it'll either kill or cripple you. Don't do it!

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
As one who is definitely well supplied with the extra padding......no clothes =perishing right through to the marrow.
Our 'blubber' is mostly of a different kind; it's simply fuel, not insulation.
The insulation stuff is 'brown fat' and that's the stuff that's found in babies and hibernating mammals. Most of our blubber is white adipose tissue, not brown.

Therefore, survival is dependant on making enough heat and not losing it to the environment.....fine when you're running but damned all use the rest of the time since no one can run 24/7.

The body's shiver/muscle twitch response means that we do burn a lot more calories in the cold, but it's the quality of the clothing that we wear that makes the most enormous difference.
The Inuit, for all their physical adaptations do not survive without clothing.

There's also the fact that people who work and live cold, do adapt to some extent. I met a very old lady a long while ago, and it was a bitter cold winter. Her hands were like holding mine near a fire. I was so surprised I asked her how ? and she replied, "I worked in a dairy; I worked in cold water from the time I was thirteen until I retired at sixty. I made butter, real butter, for ten hours a day from five in the morning until three in the afternoon, six days a week. I can't abide gloves or mitts on my hands. I'm always hot. (Well she said it in Scots but that's what it translates as :) )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_adipose_tissue

Interesting take on the survival type thread AndyBB :approve: makes a very pleasant change.

atb,
M

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Hee hee - apologies to those who have taken things a bit too seriously on this thread! (And don't worry - I haven't forgotten Part 2...coming soon) However, it's raised some interesting points.

Mrcharly posits that we weren't born wearing shoes, and having attended three births I can confirm that:) However, most paleontologists and geneticists believe Homo Sapiens originated in a tropical climate, where clothes weren't necessary. As HS spread, his clothing and body-shape changed to fit the changing environment. I'm not disputing that having a brisk run in the snow without shoes may indeed be possible, due to the heat from the exercise allowing blood to flow more rapidly through the body and staving off hypothermia, even in the extremities.

Erm I didn't always go running. Walking the dog, walking the moors above Holmfirth through bogs and knee-deep snow - the cold 'twas never a problem.

Wet feet slipping on rocks was a problem, as wet skin is softer and more easily cut.

I maybe should point out that I built up to this over some time. When I was running regularly my feet were untroubled by broken glass, brambles or even thumbtacks (got home one day wondered what the noise was; when I checked my foot there was a thumbtack in it).

Couldn't do it these days, my feet are soft again.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
And of course mammals do produce down. I for one have a gland in my belly button which produces down regularly.
Ha ha ha ha ha

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I stopped reading the thread at the point when I learned that being in the 71- 80 group allowed me to be fatter. Thanks for that Santaman, now I can stop the post-Christmas diet I started yesterday. Pass me another mince pie.

First, to everyone, I recognized the OP was a joke.

Now, to Oldtimer's comment, I'm not that old just yet, but I find it comforting too! In serioiusness, I suspect the higher allowed percentage is due to the fact that as muscle mass atrophies (as it inevitably does as we age) body fat percentage must go up or we'd simply wither away.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
That's a complicated one. I was lead to believe by my lecturers at university (sport & exercise scince) that the fitter you are, the quicker you start sweating and the more you sweat. It's the bodies coolant system so it makes sense - it's not a waste product as such.......

So why do we diabetics sweat more?

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Yes but our vitals are no bigger than those of skinny people's. And those vital organs are surrounded by natural body armor.

Fat penetrating rounds have been around for a few hundred years... or are you developing special harpoon rounds for the more evolved blubbery arctic soldiers I hear so much about? :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE