The Small Stuff

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary Elson

Feb 27, 2007
Bulkington Warwickshire
Hello

Heres a question ?

I guess most of us here don't get to spend all day every day in the outdoors pursuing our mutual interest

if you've only got a couple of hours to spare what do you get up to ?

Cos sometimes its the few snatched minutes that prove to be rewarding
A friend recently remarked that you don't need to wait for the 'big hits' weekends away etc you can have a little 'fix' every day and gain a lot of enjoyment.

I really like a couple of hours carving for instance

Gary

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
If I've got a couple of hours to myself, but need to stay around the house because of childcare duties etc, I like to either tend my veggie plot which can be relaxing, or set up the Kelly-kettle and have a brew.

If I am not needed at home, I like to get out and climb a nearby hill, which is surrounded by wonderful birch and pine woods. I enjoy climbing up through the woods, stopping to collect tinder or berries, and emerge on the top in heather moorland with fantastic views of the Don valley. There's nothing like sitting on top of a hill, admiring the landscape spread out before you to put everything in perspective:D .

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I like to go down the bottom of the garden and brew up a cup of tea. Takes longer than flicking a switch on the electric kettle, but seems much more satisfying.

Apart from anything else, this gets me familiar with lighting fires or portable stoves, so that when I'm out at the end of a long day, I know what to do and don't spend ages trying to get a fire going when all I really want is food and rest.

On a completely different scale, I think it's a bit like army exercises and combat (not that I've ever been in actual combat): on exercise, you practise things under simulated conditions so that when you're out doing it for real, you know what to do.

Geoff

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
I don't think I could stay sane Mon-Fri if I wasn't fortunate enough to work on the edge of a wood and a large pond so I can stomp through there during my lunch break everyday and get my little fix. lol.

Otherwise I'm out in the woods or along the footpaths and bridleways nearly every weekend, can't stand being cooped up at home all weekend.

mazeman

Forager
Jun 7, 2007
Porthmadog, Gwynedd
I've taken to using every moment I can to look at things I haven't before:
The pond by the dentist.
Taking a slightly different route between anywhere and and anywhere else.
Being nosey about what's up the alley ways in town - surprising how many little birch trees and ferns one can find (tinder ahoy!).
Finding out exactly what is in my garden, flora fauna et al.
Having a crack at a Kuska.
Looking at what's on in this forum - when I'm trapped indoors - and trying out some or other technique.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I walk the dog and depending on the time of year sometimes take a little collins gem book on Mushrooms/birds/trees/food for free with me so I can try and identify stuff.

Keeps me interested anyway.

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
When i go for a run round my woods near me i usually take a small brew kit and sit by a fire for an hour or so then jog on home :)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Knives, leather and wood work and tree/plant/animal recognition every 5 mins :rolleyes: Thanks for the mental nudge i need to get back in the garage and make something! Have been very lazy lately and a lot more time has been spent cleaning/maintaining kit rather than enjoying making it :eek:

Cheers for the reminder ;)

What a gem of a thread!

I've already been inspired by the handful of posts so far and who needs a whole weekend to get out or do bushcraft anyway? It obviously helps to be in the vicinity of a natural environment - or as Geoff said - the bottom of your garden to put a little firecraft time in. I'm lucky in that I have that both at home or at work.

Lunchtimes usually find me by a local wear eating a packed lunch - but I think the posts so far have tempted me to be a little more adventurous with the eating arrangements.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I have managed to find a number of woodlands close`ish to work which I can usually squeeze a short bimble into most days. Even if it`s just for half an hour I love to mooch about looking and listening. I`m out and about with work quite a bit so I`m always on the lookout for clumps of trees to explore. It`s sometimes tricky explaining why I`ve walked a trail of mud through the office though when I get back in.

Rich

O

oilyrag

Good thread.

If I've a spare half day then I'll head up into the forested hills behid me and have a brew and practice various ways of erecting a tarp, drilling myself to know it off by heart and the best pitch for the current conditions.

If I only have an hour or I'm sat in front of the TV then I practice making feathersticks and keeping things sharp. A bumper pile of feathersticks is always useful when lighting BBQ's etc.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Oiling and honing/stropping shiny things.....making feathersticks, oiling/polishing leatherwork, planning future craft projects, making cordage/thonging, making small projects such as billies from tins and trivets from hinges, whittling "ethnic" heads to see if a knife is sharp (most end up as firewood..) Scouring New Posts for inspiration...
All these fill the odd moment indoors...strolling down my local woods to harvest blackberries/hazels/sloes etc in season (or just to watch and listen) does for the outdoors.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
In between running after my two children, feeding them and all the wonderful things they get up to, i make a brew on my stove in the back garden, carve walking sticks, bake bread and other trail type food and practice knots and map reading.

Trying to teach my 3 yr old basic compass skills and how to set up shelters.

It is the little things that keep you going in between the big things.

When I can make the time

a bit of fire & cooking/baking craft, mostly backgarden cos of firebans
carving, whittling, sharpening
just walking (need a bit more time to go out and find some nice spot...after all I am in Holland)
DIY with billies, stoves, backpacks
Staring into the flames, dreaming of more time/opportunities to be "out there" (weeknights)
Thinking of "things to learn"; eg. I bought some books about flora/fauna/weather and need to learn (in practice) more about those subjects....

Grtz Johan

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Pack my small brewkit, call the dog. Off out the door and into the woods and brew up at the first stream I come to. Sit down with the dog and the cup of tea and listen to the sounds of the woodland and its wildlife. Just like I did yesterday! It's life's little jewels that matter the most.:)

Jembly/Sloth

Dec 6, 2007
Appledore, Kent
With my bushcrafting skills somewhat lacking I spend as much time as possible out in the garden in any free hours practising; carving, feather stickage, firelighting/camp cookery and in Winter as now getting home in the dark I'll often be reading up on whatever I can get my hands on Identification and recipe wise.

I've found that there's an amazing amount of 'stuff' to be found in and around towns and nearly always carry my Wildflower key and birdy book with me to and from school. :11doh:

I guess the more you practise in comfort, the easier it is in harder conditions...

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Since I spend most of my working day doing fairly bushcrafty things, when I get spare time away from 'work' I'm carving spoons or doing a spot of archery, that sort of thing. I can't really take an hour off work to do bushcraft, coz it would just be another aspect of my job :D Not that I'm complaining!

Mind you, I usually have a procrastination project or 5 on the go ;) At the moment I am making a flatbow out of oak :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE