The secret household kindling

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
I 'accidently' set alight to a sponge with my firesteel - a normal green kitchen sponge. It was a great starter,and did not burn out too quickly.Just got me wondering, how many household items are cheap and burn well.

Please leave your item suggestions below.

Hope this helped,

Ph34r

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
I read on here I think about lint - the fluff from your tumble drier and gave it a go. Not done a scientific study but boy did the stuff I collected after a long spell drying cotton towels catch a spark well! At least as good as char cloth. Of course it is really dry and smoulders perfectly.

ATB
Dave

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
I read on here I think about lint - the fluff from your tumble drier and gave it a go. Not done a scientific study but boy did the stuff I collected after a long spell drying cotton towels catch a spark well! At least as good as char cloth. Of course it is really dry and smoulders perfectly.

ATB
Dave

Awesome, will have to try the lint Or a lint cloth....
:pokenest:

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Sawdust mixed with left over candle wax, poured into cardboard egg boxes.

Leave a bit of cotton wool sticking out the top and all it takes is a spark from a ferro rod to light.

Burn for ages, we use them to light our house fire.

Simon

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Costa Coffee wooden stirers, now Im not saying go and and clear every sugar station of the stirers but if you want to thats your choice

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You know those little round or oval cotton pads women use for makeup removal ? 100 for 69p kind of thing ?
Wipe one with some vaseline and it'll burn for ages :D

Most savoury snacks burn really well, Doritos and Whotsits are particularly good, but try nuts too. Cut the end of a brazil nut so that it can stand upright and light the tip. It's a mini candle that'll happily burn for several minutes :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Dynamite_1303

Feb 25, 2009
North Yorkshire
Tampons are floorless .... remain free from damp in plastic tube and catch in a second, and with enough feathered kindling make a nice easy fire. Don't know how cheap they are though as I nick them from the better half ;o)

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
Tampons are floorless .... remain free from damp in plastic tube and catch in a second, and with enough feathered kindling make a nice easy fire. Don't know how cheap they are though as I nick them from the better half ;o)

hmm not sure i'd like to carry a handful of tampons with me though, might get some funny looks if anyone looks through my bag :p

jute gardening twine is good (the dark green stuff thats not made of plastic), fray out one end and rub with vaseline, that lights then it holds the ember for ages, the longer your bit of string the longer it lasts.

TJ

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE