The right to wield??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
I AM NEUTRAL ON THIS TOPIC< THATS WHY I STARTED THE THREAD:D

Do you think that you should earn a right to wield an expensive knife?? What I mean by this is, do you think it a little odd that a complete begginer buys a really expensive knife??

The reason I bring this up is because I recently remembered when I was a complete begginer I wanted a really nice knife because alot of marketing had led me to believe this was the only thing that would work. Then, before I parted with my cash, I was given a clipper on a course and I realised that although in a lot of cases, you should buy the best you can afford, one of the cheapest was frankly brilliant..... So what do you think, should people buy cheap before they buy expensive so that they know in the cheaper market there can be perfectly ample tools??

*Opinion withdrawn*

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
So what do you think, should people buy cheap before they buy expensive so that they know in the cheaper market there can be perfectly ample tools??

I'm neutral too, one could almost say apathetic ;)

I bought a clipper, loved it, I then bought an F1, loved it but very different knives and I personally couldn't do some stuff with the F1that I could with the clipper (and vice versa). I then bought a 3mm Mick Spain bushy to handle as this may be the knife that works for me (it may not mind you)

So I think people should buy cheap so that you know what works for you then build up from there. If you can afford to pick something ridiculously expensive as a first knife, fill your boots, I hope it works for you. Part of the hobby is trying and figuring things out as well as buying shiney stuff so do what you suits your financial circumstances.

my 2 cents,

Cheers,

Alan

kirbs

Need to contact Admin...
Got to agree here with you. As a first time poster and relative newcomer to the whole "Bushcraft thing" there seems to be an inordinate amount of adverts and propoganda imploring you to spend your hard earned pennies on pieces of kit that will enable you to live "for free " in the woods. If i added up all the money i have spent on kit so far i am sure i could have stayed in some top notch hotel for the week never mind the "luxury of a solar shower". I think it is important (especially for us newcommers) to understand that the whole idea of the Bushcraft chain of thought is that by knowing what you are about and what you are doing you dont need all the Gucci kit that is advertised. You need to get out into the woods and start experimenting rather than buying everything you are ever going to need in anticipation of the " Big Trip "when it is going to get used.!
My big plan for this year is to actually get out and do it rather than just reading about it and planning for it !. I realise that this has gone off the point somewhat but, i had been planning to spend £200 on a "Bushcraft Knife " until i went on one of Rays courses and saw how good a £10 cheapie could be .

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Meh, who cares?

If someone wants to spend masses of cash on something then let them get on with it, at least knifemakers make the kind of money their skills deserve because of it.

Besides, who would police who is allowed to buy the expensive stuff? Theres always some jumped up little git that would love the chance to do it and the ones who want the job are almost always the ones who shouldn't do the job.

Traffic wardens being a case in point.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I think it's ridiculous to spend a fortune on a knife if you're a complete beginner. Anyone who recalls one of my first posts about the knives I had can see why; beginners don't have the foggiest idea what makes a good knife. And I'll say now that I wasn't a beginner to knives at that point, though I was new to fixed blades. So much of knives is down to personal preference, it just doesn't make sense to assume that an expensive knife from a reputable maker will be anything more than a shiney and sharp expensive piece of kit that you have absolutely no use for, if you don't get along with the design. I'm just glad I was pointed towards Moras; I haven't looked back.

But, there will always be victims of advertising, hype and kit junkyism and I'm not going to lose any sleep over it ;) I certainly wouldn't say that a newbie has no right to own an expensive knife, but they shouldn't be surprised if they end up hating it and being most displeased with the purchase...

Pete

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Moras are cheap because they are mass-produced.

I love 'em, but some people prefer their tools to have some "history" behind them... knowing that a talented knife-maker has spent time on your individual knife is a nice feeling, rather than some chap in Sweden pulling a lever in a factory to stamp another 10000 knives from a sheet of steel.

With a cheap knife you get what you're given. Wish the blade was slightly longer? Tough. Wish you could have maple wood handle? Tough. Need the grip altering to fit your hand? Not going to happen.

If it works that's great, but the best custom makers will discuss what you want beforehand and make sure the knife you get is right for you.

A good knife will last a lifetime, and will be passed on to the next generation... suddenly £200 doesn't seem like much.

Whether that's right for a begginer is another matter... at what point are you no longer a "beginner"?? After 10 hrs in the woods, or 50 spoons carved, or three lost fingers?

It's obviously worth trying anything before you spend a lot of money, but if you can afford it then why not?

pheasant plucker

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2007
Birmingham, England
For anyone not used to using a knife I'd recommend a frost to learn with, but if someone decided to spend money on an expensive knife it would'nt bother me. For me although I've used knives since my mid teens and I'm now in my early 30's I still would not plan on buying an expensive knife, but I do own several frosts as I like them and they do the job I ask them to do.
PP

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Earn a right!?
Sounds a tad elitist and patronising to me.
Personally, I couldn't care less what knives people buy. If someone is so gullible as to believe they must have this or that item then that's their own look-out. A fool and his money, and all that...

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Earn a right!?
Sounds a tad elitist and patronising to me.
Personally, I couldn't care less what knives people buy. If someone is so gullible as to believe they must have this or that item then that's their own look-out. A fool and his money, and all that...

Yup - that about says it for me too!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No no we should apply the logic by extension.

You should not be able to drive a car that exceeds your abilities as a driver.

You shouldn't be able to subscribe to a TV package with more channels than you watch

You certainly shouldn't be able to waste money on a double bed when you haven't got someone to fill the other side

You should not be allowed to order more food in a Chinese restaurant than you will actually eat

sheesh.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Aknife is a knife no matter what it costs.If you are able to use it efficiently and safely it doesn't matter how much it costs.
When you attend a meet try telling someone who has just started bushcrafting that the knife they have is too expensive for them because thet've only just started and shoul have a cheap one.Let us know the response you get.
I started a thread about expensive knives once and really got some stick.
Perhaps you can tell me,What can an expensive knife do physically that a cheap one cannot.When you are out and about have you been in a position where you've thought that you wish your knife cost more than the one you had in your hand because it would have done the job at hand better.
No you don't have to earn the right to wield an expensive knife.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Its their money,they can do what they like with it.
What next,cheap trainers unless you are an world class runner!!?
C da C.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A knife is just a sharp bit of steel used for cutting stuff, I wouldn't have thought it mattered how much it cost as long as it did the job.
Personally I prefer to have a one or two ;) handmade pieces which are pleasing to the eye and which work for me. It's nice to know somebody has spent a few hours putting it together and that it'll last me a very long time.

If a newbie wants to spend &#163;600 on Rays latest creation then fair play to them I say.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Perhaps you can tell me,What can an expensive knife do physically that a cheap one cannot..

Look good.:D :D :D

apart from aestetics and longevity theres no difference.
a well made custom knife will outlast a cheap Mora. I use a homemade custom knife, I made it for me and designed in stuff I like such as hollow pins for easy atatchment to a pole,just in case I need to cut a chicken of the woods 6M up a tree but I still have a Mora No1 with the wooden handle.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I use a homemade custom knife, I made it for me and designed in stuff I like

And therin is the best knife ever made.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Not only should people NOT have to earn the right, they don't have to justify it to others either. (except maybe SWMBO ;) ) Nor should they expect critisism for their decision.

It's a personal thing that has got jack to do with the rest of us. Sure we can offer advice if it is asked for, and indeed we should do, but it ends there.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
This is pure elitist snobbery saying who can or should have what piece of kit. So what if Joe Bloggs has just started out and wants a &#163;200 handmade knife!!!!!!!

Who are we to tell anyone they have to earn the right to what they can or cannot have.

An absolute waste of a thread in my opinion.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
The only thing you need to earn is the money. Once you've done that, you can spend it how you like.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Completely down the middle here too,
If bushcraft is the study, acquisition and practise of skills, then the ability to make "the cut" is where knife talk begins and ends. I care not whether it cost hundreds of (hard earned) pounds, a few quid of pocket change, or a few hours in the workshop.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
This is pure elitist snobbery saying who can or should have what piece of kit. So what if Joe Bloggs has just started out and wants a &#163;200 handmade knife!!!!!!!

Who are we to tell anyone they have to earn the right to what they can or cannot have.

An absolute waste of a thread in my opinion.

how is it a waste of a thread, its not like theres a limit on the amount of threads :confused:

remember that people are allowed to express their opinion, anyway most people are agreeing with you...........

I knew I hadn't explained what I meant properly, so i'll try to re-iterate;

People who buy very expensive knives straight away can miss out on how good the market it is at the lower end of the price spectrum, and when you buy a cheaper knife you can work out exactly what you want/need so when you buy an expensive knife you know exactly what you are looking for. I love custom knives they're great, but I'm really glad I didn't buy one when I started because I thought I knew what I wanted, Now I've used a mora I know that when I buy a custom knife shortly :) I know exactly what I'm looking for...................

*Opinion withdrawn*

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE