The Perfect Bushcraft Knife

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
No such thing as the perfect bushcraft knife for the simple reason that when you think you have found the 'One Knife' that litte bit of perfection in this unperfect world...you go and find another one you like better!!!:rolleyes:

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
To be fair, once you've dicked about sorting your mate out and either risking a confiscation or extra weight (its heavy!) or customs charge and with the crappy pound at the moment you might be just as well parting with some cash over here.

I have a mate who regularly brings stuff in for his own collection from his mates stateside who are fellow collectors or dealers so its a pretty easy situation and any costs can be split or it goes on a existing order at no cost to me, sweet!

If cost is an issue, it might be worth a punt on the wanteds on either here or on BB?

Apr 14, 2011
Canada
Thanks for all the responses. And in response to some of the posts I've made fire by using both the bow drill method and using flint and steel. And its far, far easier getting a fire going using the flint and steel if you have some charred material. In fact, I don't even use char cloth. Using the same preparation methods, you can char the soft fluff from a cattail head and its works fantastically. And you don't have to cut up your clothes to get any like you would with char cloth.

I've been into bushcraft for many years and never light a fire with a match or a lighter. Fire skills are probably the most important skill you can have. So the more ways you are able to start a fire the better off you will be. That being said, I do love the bow drill method. But in Canada, where the wood is seldom as dry and seasoned as you need it to be, the bow drill method can be exhausting. The fire plow method is completely out of the question...at least in Alberta where I live.

What I generally like to do when I'm camping or practicing bushcraft is start with my first fire with the bow drill method. Subsequent fires are then either started using the banked up coals from the night before or using a charred material with my flint and steel. I do own several steel strikers as well as many pieces of flint for that purpose.

All that aside, I do believe that a fellow on another forum has pointed me in the right direction for what I believe is MY perfect knife. Its made by a fellow named Bernie Garland. I'm also interested in an SWC knife but he isn't taking any orders at the moment.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If you have the knife you are happy with then just carry a ferro rod or lighter for fire lighting. Really what is the chance of you being in this survival situation with your knife but without firelighting gear and you just happen to be in an area with natural flint deposits. Is the likelihood of all those things coming together worth changing a knife you are happy with?

It is not only flint that will spark up carbon steel - there are several rocks hard enough in the quartz family - I often light fires with quartzite that I find just kicking around the hills, woods and fields of West Wales.... though flint is probably the best for the job:)

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I have had the perfect bushcraft knife for many years.It changes at least twice a month.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE