The painful reality of a walk in the woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I never really thought too much about the visual impact I portray when dressed in primitive clothing (by that I mean scruffy mountainman look). People at demonstrations, craft fairs and country shows know well enough that what I'm showing is part of a show and while the skills and crafts I demonstrate are real, the persona I portray is not.

Well, on Christmas morning I had to really think hard about how I come across to others. It was a cold and clear morning and I was up early checking out my new bagpipes that Santa brought. The wife got sick of the racket I was making so I decided to go for a bimble in the woods. I figured nobody would be around with it being Christmas day, so I wore my army blanket capote and took along my hobo stove and tin mug to make a cuppa en-route.

I walked a couple of miles, admiring the frost on the twigs and branches, having a close look at spider webs standing out bright and white against the darker vegitation behind. I found a nice clearing about 25 yards from the footpath. I decided to stop fo a cup of tea before going back home for lunch.

I set up my hobo stove, got some dry twigs burning in it, was adding small sticks and waiting for the water to boil when a small dog bounded over and started yapping at me. I befriended the dog and was petting it when a middle aged couple walked over and said hello.

I greeted them and wished them a happy Christmas, passed the time talking about what good weather we were having for the time of year and such, then they wandered off with their dog. They had not gone 50 yards down the path when they came back and asked me if I'd like to come home with them and share their Christmas lunch. Then it dawned on me.
They thought I was a homeless person. I explained that I was just out for a walk, and the blanket coat and my hobo stove were just part of my hobby. I don't know who was more embarrased, me or them. They both blushed profusely though. Anyway, I thanked them for such a kind and selfless gesture but assured them I was OK.

Anyway, when I got back home I felt slightly shaken. I suppose I must have looked like a tramp to them as I had taken the persona completely out of context. So, after lunch I trimmed my beard and moustache and got the shears on my head and gave myself a No1 all over. Now my wife says I look like a gangster. Bloody hell, I can't win, can I?

Eric

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oh dear lord Eric - thats absolutely priceless

Bless them for their generosity of spirit (and you for not figuring "what the hell - I can manage two dinners" ) :D

I've just mulled this over - that, for all its comedic value - totally restores my faith in people - I'm sending those people some karma points - I really, really hope the world pays them back!!

Red

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think everyone on here probably feels the same Eric when we`re out, I`m just glad it happened to you first.

Thanks for giving me a giggle

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I wouldn't worry too much Eric. I have to put up with peoples misconceptions all the time. At least that was a good reaction.

People will always react to something or someone that is different according to their own prejudices.

Kids can't understand why a man has long hair because they only see it on girls or women.

Lads sporting thug cuts assume I'm a hippy and don't understand why I'm just not frightened of them when they act tough for their mates.

Middle class types assume I'm a drop out and are surprised that the camera equipment I use is the stuff they wish they could afford.

Customs men always stop me and search for drugs and old ladies are surprised when I display the good manners that are so rare these days.

None of these things are my problem. I live the life I choose, the way I choose and that is just fine by me.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
I know Im always worried about what people think im doing in my local green space. Im often kitted out like im walking across the country (and have even been asked how far im going..TWICE),with big boots and camo rucksack to match. Im always Very wary about carrying a knife.

I just dont want to scare anyone. Now youve got that hair cut mate, your in no danger of that.

Go on....Post a Piccy of Eric with a No1.

Stu

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Well I think its great these people asked you in for christmas dinner. The spirit of christmas isnt dead after all. doesnt matter if you look like tramp, you get to see the best or worst in people in that case

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Two things spring to mind, like others have already said:

1. The couple have restored some of my faith in humanity & the Christmas spirit.
  2. I'm glad it happened to someone else & not me! LOL:lmao:

Simon

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
10 out of 10 for the couple for inviting you home - would I have been so generous? It shames me to say, probably not.

As for what you wear, I came across the "naked rambler" when I was on the Pennine Way a few years ago. Nice boots...;)

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Must admit since I cut my long hair off a couple of years ago after having it for 15 years, people give me less grief/funny looks, but both I and the mrs are missing it, so havent cut it for a few months now, saying I'll grow it again.

Oh Eric...I'm really sorry bud that you felt you had to do some body mods to feel like you fitted in! We all loved you the way you were! ;)

And Wayland, I know exactly how you feel, I got those type of reactions right through while on my MA and Post Grad and it continued right through into my present profession (one of the alleged all inclusive, liberalprofessions outside of social work you can get! ). I grew a beard a year or so back and with the long hair and all that my employer made every effort to exclude me from Scot Exec contact due to my appearance. And I was informed in a roundabout way that the beard looked too scary! I ended up shaving the beard off but keeping the hair.

And you are so right about the kids/young adults perceptions about hair. I work with some of the most dangerous young people that society creates and having long hair = TARGET.Now I'd really like to take one of your viking axes into work...;) for some reality education lessons! pmsl

I wouldn't worry too much Eric. I have to put up with peoples misconceptions all the time. At least that was a good reaction.

People will always react to something or someone that is different according to their own prejudices.

Kids can't understand why a man has long hair because they only see it on girls or women.

Lads sporting thug cuts assume I'm a hippy and don't understand why I'm just not frightened of them when they act tough for their mates.

Middle class types assume I'm a drop out and are surprised that the camera equipment I use is the stuff they wish they could afford.

Customs men always stop me and search for drugs and old ladies are surprised when I display the good manners that are so rare these days.

None of these things are my problem. I live the life I choose, the way I choose and that is just fine by me.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Interesting, the hair thing. When I was a long-haired 20 year old - back in the 70's - I was cast as the bad guy. Now it's the other way around.

Oh dear lord Eric - thats absolutely priceless

Bless them for their generosity of spirit (and you for not figuring "what the hell - I can manage two dinners" ) :D

I've just mulled this over - that, for all its comedic value - totally restores my faith in people - I'm sending those people some karma points - I really, really hope the world pays them back!!

Red

Finding myself alone with no parents at the age of fifteen and wandering all over the southern part of the U.S. ...(even ventured north once...got frostbite and barely kept my toes) I owe my being alive to just such people as those. Later...striving to be one of those people whenever possible I can tell you Karmah is always returned.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Must admit I kind of have a 'I'm on my own kit' ie not gonna see people so possibly camo,o.g sass smock spose army kit + 'posh walking kit' berghaus n.f kit not scruffy and 'suitable' for walking mountains and seeing people!
Daft really as at one time IDGAS what people thought and had blue hair at one point.
Dave

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Fitting in is hard to do, too many cliques and too many cultures mixed in together these days.

I am the office guy to the factory crew and the artist to the office folks, the city worker to my farm neighbors and the country guy to all the city folks, the old guy to my kids friends and the kid to my clients, a survivalist to bushcrafters and just a camper to the real survivalists, an expert to some and a beginner to others.

The best you can do is to be yourself. Let everyone else think what they will.

I pray for the old couple, the next guy they ask home may not be so kind as our lovable brother Eric.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE