The New Homestead forum

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
We've created this forum as we recognise that there's a large cross over of skills and the interests of many members extends into what we're terming 'Homesteading'.

We have a lot of members that would like somewhere off the beaten track, land of their own, to grow food and hunt, to feel warmed by the fires they work to supply etc, so here's the place to discuss these things, preserving foods, cutting wood, growing food, rearing food, building, making and modding.

Please keep in mind that this is not a forum for survivalism even though there's a fair amount of cross over, there's plenty of other forums that will accommodate survivalism as a subject if you wish to discuss it and we would encourage you to comment there rather than take things off track here on Bushcraft UK.

Enjoy the new forum...

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
A very good idea and I look forward to reading this. There's a great desire for this kind of home, I think, and almost nowhere in the Uk where it can be found!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Cool, glad it's going to get used :D

If possible i'd like to see loads of pictures of things so where possible get a few in so that we can see as well as read what's going on, what's been made etc

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
A very good idea and I look forward to reading this. There's a great desire for this kind of home, I think, and almost nowhere in the Uk where it can be found!

Too true buddy; love the lifestyle, as hard as it is, but sadly lack the means of following it. I try to dabble where I can but it is very time-consuming...
Maybe I should look for a crofting hut!!

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Guess British Red will be spending a LOT of time in here, and so will I but I'll just be mostly lurking though.
Colin

I have a home - yippee:)

Great idea Tony thank you. I may have a photo or two to contribute as some point :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Weirdly all my onions have successfully over wintered this year, Not just maincrops but garlic, shallots, Spring onions, silverskins....the lot. Which is good because last years started to grow again because it was so mild - we have plenty of soup and chutney now, but there could be a hot dog crisis in April :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
So what would homesteading be? Just land and growing vegetables and wood for the wood stove/heater or would it include animals (as I'd think a homestead would need to include)? No animals/livestock no homestead?

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
So what would homesteading be? Just land and growing vegetables and wood for the wood stove/heater or would it include animals (as I'd think a homestead would need to include)? No animals/livestock no homestead?
The people who own the huts at Carbeth, are almost homesteaders. Not quite able to live there 365 though. I am Interested in this topic, to see how others interpret what homesteading could be.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
It might be possible to homestead by stitching together the necessary rather than buy a functioning smallholding or farm straight off. For example, companies like woodlands.co.uk sell off sections of woods. The prices might be over the odds for larger woods. In some areas terrace houses can be any price but one has to live somewhere and one handy for the wood should be possible, add in a couple of allotments or give over part of the wood for forest gardening and the like and you are away if you are serious.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
The people who own the huts at Carbeth, are almost homesteaders. Not quite able to live there 365 though. I am Interested in this topic, to see how others interpret what homesteading could be.
I though that there are such things as "living huts" that can be inhabited all year round. Saw one a bit back for £16,000.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
I though that there are such things as "living huts" that can be inhabited all year round. Saw one a bit back for £16,000.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carbeth-Hutters-Community-Company/126025690861163

To be honest am not sure, our farmer would disaprove of us comuting daily while living rurally. Rent is low, we disconnect the water tanks, over the winter(prevents burst pipes). Living in the hut in December, January was cold. Yet we have had a mild winter so far.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
It might be possible to homestead by stitching together the necessary rather than buy a functioning smallholding or farm straight off. For example, companies like woodlands.co.uk sell off sections of woods. The prices might be over the odds for larger woods. In some areas terrace houses can be any price but one has to live somewhere and one handy for the wood should be possible, add in a couple of allotments or give over part of the wood for forest gardening and the like and you are away if you are serious.

As I understand it you have very little rights in the woods that they sell. I doubt if permanent habitation is one of the rights.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE