The New Homestead forum

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think we really need your input on this one milius - I really hopes you would see the new forum :)

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have only just noticed this particular forum, I think it is a good idea, I seem to spend more time on my own little piece of land than I do out and about in the woods these days.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have only just noticed this particular forum, I think it is a good idea, I seem to spend more time on my own little piece of land than I do out and about in the woods these days.

Me too, it's been a while since I was here on BCUK I missed the newer stuff. Looks like a great thread there and I shall read it with interest. My own "Cabin in the woods (with WIFI)" is progressing. of sorts. The main room is much more livable now and I can swing a cat without hitting too many breakable things. My added bit of good news is a neighbour with a big warehouse in the local town has offered me space in there to store all my extra stuff I can't store in my 6m x 6m house.

See my cabin in the woods signature below if you want to have a read of what I've done up to December last year. Yes I know I NEED to update the blog, sorry. :eek:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I tend to agree with you Rik, I think that it's possible for multiple people to share land, resources etc and be a part of the experience but I doubt that it's possible to have the complete experience. When it comes to multiple people contributing to land, or an island etc then they would basically have to give the money to some sort of trust that's got rules and abide by those rules for ever more.

If we ever collected money for woodland or some such it would be governed by rules we'd all have to abide by so everyone would have to go into it very aware, I do dream sometimes though of having small woodlands all over the UK so that our members can use them as a place to escape to, practice skills etc, they'd still need to be managed and all that but it would be brilliant for everyone to have somewhere they can go.

A "homestead" would normally be considered as a single family. That gives the freedom and a measure of independence that most people seem to be seeking when they consider homesteading as such.

A "group buy" would certainly be possible but it would change the dynamic in the way you and Rik have suggested. Rather that an independent lifestyle, you'd actually just be creating a new village in and of itself (albeit themed to a common interest) A colony or commune by another name.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE