The music of native peoples

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I have a contact who has made it his life work to collect spiritual/ faith music from cultures across the world. This set me thinking. Perhaps those on this forum who are in contact with native peoples around the world could describe/ post recordings of music that relates to their historic/ perhaps primitive life style. Things like: the tradition behind it, the instruments used, who sings/ plays it, when it is used etc.

Perhaps we could have a go at some of them on bushmoots.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have a contact who has made it his life work to collect spiritual/ faith music from cultures across the world. This set me thinking. Perhaps those on this forum who are in contact with native peoples around the world could describe/ post recordings of music that relates to their historic/ perhaps primitive life style. Things like: the tradition behind it, the instruments used, who sings/ plays it, when it is used etc.

Perhaps we could have a go at some of them on bushmoots.

You mean their indigenous music not them singing Christian hymns in local dialects I hope?
There are too many "faiths" competing for the souls of people in this region in my opinion.

Will try for the former, though I getting quality recordings is difficult without good (and heavy)gear and I think the music loses its meaning if performed outside the traditional venues.

What do you mean by"have a go at them on bushmoots"? Listen to them or play the instruments?

I'll try and find a sape (ancestor of the sitar and guitar) for the BCUK boys to bring back after their expedition

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Right on Bod. In this question I am asking about the indigenous music.

And I'm interested in use of voice, rhythm, feet, drums, hands, body movements, costume, context etc., as much as any specially made instruments.

I'll be very interested if you come up with something.

As for "having a go" I had in mind something like a percussion work shop I went on once where everyone got an instrument or an object to make sound with and made beautiful (usuallly!) sounds and rhythms together.

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
I went to the south Pacific once, to a place called Vanuatu. On one of the islands the local women put on a show of what they call "Water music". Basically they stand waist deep in a river and kind of slap and scoop the water with flat and cupped hands. The flat hand produces a high tinny note and the cupped hand a kind of reverberating bellow. The go through a set rhythm, a bit like bell ringers.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Okay here goes

This is a video recording of a impromptu improvisation by Kenyah hill tribes people during a break in hill rice planting. It was done with a small camera but I think the quality is still not bad.

The Kenyah and kayan are known for their musical ability and wood carving and boatmanship. They live in upper river regions of the interior of Borneo straddling the Sarawak Kalimantan border

The water music sounds interesting

I'll also try and get you a nose flute Rich

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I went to the south Pacific once, to a place called Vanuatu. On one of the islands the local women put on a show of what they call "Water music". Basically they stand waist deep in a river and kind of slap and scoop the water with flat and cupped hands. The flat hand produces a high tinny note and the cupped hand a kind of reverberating bellow. The go through a set rhythm, a bit like bell ringers.
Sounds fascinating. Did they inform about its history, meaning etc.?

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Okay here goes

This is a video recording of a impromptu improvisation by Kenyah hill tribes people during a break in hill rice planting. It was done with a small camera but I think the quality is still not bad.

The Kenyah and kayan are known for their musical ability and wood carving and boatmanship. They live in upper river regions of the interior of Borneo straddling the Sarawak Kalimantan border

The water music sounds interesting

I'll also try and get you a nose flute Rich
Wowa, that was great. There was clearly a lead voice, a percussion instrument, several harmony voices and interesting use of rhythm and use of close notes - a bit like in India.

Were they using any other instruments? How was the percussion done?

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
Sounds fascinating. Did they inform about its history, meaning etc.?

Yep. As you can imagine, the women generally do the clothes washing (in the river), and so the music became a way of alleviating the boredom during the household chores. Also a way of ensuring that the clothes got the full wash cycle, if you see what I mean.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE