The most disgusting?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
mealworms aren't bad at all, crickets have no flavour - they're just sharp and silkworms taste soapy. I don't mind hakarl but it's kind of a long trip to get any from here.

Anyone tried young stinkhorns? I'm wondering if they're worth a taste.

Realgar

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Greywolf said:
roast chestnuts, I love them but my system doesnt and autorejection kicks in, they really taste bad coming back :(
Greywolf

My dad said that if you thought you might be sick, eat strawberry jam, it tastes the same coming back up as it did going down :D
Disgusting?... nowadays it's just meat of any kind. Thirty years ago, when I did eat meat, it had to have been finding bones and tendons in food. The Scots phrase is, "It fair made me boak" , i.e. it made my gorge rise. :(
Taste wise I detest coconut and boiled spinach, absolutely revolting stuff.

Cheers,
Toddy

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
'll eat most things (and I probably have) but the thing that makes me sick whenever I think about it is a pigs face I had to eat in Irian Jaya (it's a long story)

It had been about 6 hours in a hangi under several tons of rocks. It looked like roadkill and when I realised that there was baked pig snot still in it I had to force it down and then make my excuses and go throw up!

George

ronsos

Forager
Dec 10, 2004
For me its boiled eggs and its twin culinary evil,egg mayonnaise. These have made me vomit since childhood.When I worked on the wards as a nurse there was nothing which could 'turn me '. As a student I once threw up over a ward sisters shoes as she dished up egg mayonnaise.I can cope with any bodily fluid/discharge/waste product or horrific sight but those eggy spawn of auld nick himself -yeuuch(am gagging now).

Greywolf

Forager
Jun 5, 2005
East Riding of Yorkshire
Parmasan!

why would anyone want to eat stuff that smells and tastes like baby sick?
The smell makes me ring head north via me stomach
kotz_2.gif

Greywolf

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Tomatoes. As a child, I went to a "pick your own" farm and made it to the tomato field. You know what PYO farms are like? one for me, one for the basket. In the end, I threw up pure tomato and had the skin and pips stuck in my teeth. :(
From that day forward they became known as "The devils testicles" :eek:
I 'm alright with any tomato products (soup, ketchup, pasta sauce) cooked into food. It's just raw tomato. Oh, except when you have a lovely fry-up and they put cooked plum tomatoes on it !!!!! You might as well put it straight in the bin then.

Martin

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
TheViking said:
Hi...

Wondering: what is the most disgusting you have ever been eating, when in the woods, practicing bushcraft?? ;) :D I mean... you do eat natural plants you find don't you?

I think that there is no food, apart from garlick, that I really loathe. Ramsons, then would be my bushy bugbear.

Maybe the only times I've spat out something that I've harvested and munched would be crabapples or unripe fruit.

I once spat out a mouthful of supemarket-bought apple. I took a bit, another bite, a third bit.

Thought "this has a funny flavour", sort of like the dry musty smell of dry rot in wood.

I looked inside, and scurrying around in the core were a dozen woodlice. And a half woodlouse.

Woodlice were apparently given as a quack rememdy for something or other... I don't know what.

Keith.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Mine's similar - bit a maggot in an apple in half once, not realising - looked at the pear, there's the other half in the middle of the part I'd bitten. I'd swallowed by then so it was too late. I wasn't sick but I got a horrible paranoia for the rest of the day, checking every inch of my food :eek:

Povarian

Forager
May 24, 2005
High Wycombe, Bucks
Worst veg: Celery - induces technicolor yawn every time, even just the salt of it.. Oh and Rhubarb which is just celery with custard on it.

As for sprouts and cheese, I love 'em. Don't get sprouts very often since the missus detests the things. Funnily enough, I'm not overly fond of the smell of a whole field of the things though.

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
For me it would have to be tomatoes, baked beans or anything else made from nasty, stinking, tomatoey badness.

I did once eat a chocolate covered boiled sprout. I can report that unfortunately the vile sprouty flavour somehow diffused into the chocolate and made that taste foul too.

Pappa

zackerty

Nomad
Dec 16, 2004
Christchurch...New Zealand
Take one animal, kill it, eat it.
Or if you want more protein, gut it, and leave for a day...the maggots that "arrive" will provide more to share with your buddies.. :D
Visually disgusting, the writhing mass of off-white wigglers, but when curry powder is sprinkled on the meal, it taste good..just keep your eyes closed. :D

snag68

Tenderfoot
May 29, 2005
Birmingham UK
When I was hunting rabbit with my buddy we shot a few pregnant does' (sounds bad I know, but it's pest control). We were camping over night and we were eating some of our shot rabbits (Mmm pan fried bunny) My mate decided to deep fry a rabbit foetus and eat it, I nearly threw up watching him crunch it.

Dazz

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I was at a filipino party and offered what I took to be a hardboiled egg. Only it was a duck egg delicacy called balut- something akin to poultry veal with a partly developed duckling inside quickly boiled. It wasn't quite as bad as the half rotten whale blubber an inuit offered me during a visit or the boiled stalk of Yucca at a california Indian pow-wow with rabbit and acorn cakes. Boiled yucca looks and tastes like grey wallpaper paste with a hint of redwine vinegar. :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE