The most disgusting?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

Wondering: what is the most disgusting you have ever been eating, when in the woods, practicing bushcraft?? ;) :D I mean... you do eat natural plants you find don't you?

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Sprouts. Honest. I hate them. Really hate them.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Um hedgehogs in mauritius taste bad, fried wasp larve or locusts are nice and crunchy but are like eating chips that have been stuck in the fryer for far too long

I havent found a plant that really tastes bad yet most that I'm not fussed on are those that just taste like leaves

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Sprouts no contest. Texture wise though it has to be Jews Ear. Fairly tasty in a stew (as long as the stew is reasonable) but the texture is awful.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Martyn said:
Aren't slugs supposed to be edible? That would disgust me - I dunno why, but snails sound OK - but slugs - yuck.

Sprouts are worse!
;)

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Martyn said:
I like sprouts - but then I like tripe too (only the bleached stuff, nice with vinegar).
Then I'm certain you'd like slugs too! ;-)

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Tvividr said:
Mopani worms may look pretty bad, but fried they are surpricing acceptable....

If they are like the smallish grubs that live under the bark of a tree, I've eaten similar and they can be quite tasty fried up. Not too bad raw, but I eat berries or other foods to help with the flavor.

This one was very different in taste, appearance and texture. They are quite large, being around 12cm long and 3cm thick and look like a big ugly marshmallow that are very soft and mushy feeling. They taste very bitter and my auto rejection mode kicked in, so it didn't make it into my stomach. I'd rather chase down a PO'd rattle snake and swallow it head first, than eat another one.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I like sprouts :lol: well, as long as not over cooked.

I have heard that there is nothing you can do with slugs that make them worth eating, they are just too slimey to fool with. Can't say that I have tried though.

Texture wise, boiled tendon, as in soup or stew, that gelatinous crunch just turns my stomach.

I reckon that as far as contents goes, tinned sausage is probably the nastiest thing you could eat while in the field. Mechanically separated chicken is a lot worse than almost any grub you could find!

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

I've heard that if you want to eat slugs (then :You_Rock_ ) you must boil them in water and thereafter let them dry.... This should remove most of the slimy stuff!? ;) :-D Never tried though!

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Kath,

You're not supposed to eat the sloes until after they come out of the gin and you've covered them with melted chocolate! Trust me, they're good like that! Don't think it works on sprouts though.

Not natural food, but I'm not at all keen on Quorn.
I've gone off rabbit lately too, shame cos theres loads about.

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE