The most disgusting?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I don't like sprouts or cabagge and I am not a huge fan of chesse but if it's mild I will eat it.

I absolutly hate Liver :yikes: . From any animal the smell of cooking and fell of it when I am eating just turns my stomach.

I have eaten it but would reserve it for emergances.

James

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
RovingArcher said:
If they are like the smallish grubs that live under the bark of a tree, I've eaten similar and they can be quite tasty fried up.
No, they're not small at all - average size is about 8 cm or so, although I've seen some as big as 10 - 11 cm. We used to collect them in the bush when I was a kid running about learning bushcraft in southern Africa. Flying ants was eaten the same way (mostly fried, sometimes boiled) - average size of a flying ant is about 4,5 cm or so.
This is a live one
mopani%20worm.jpg

And you may see a closeup of a dried one here http://www.nfi.org.za/Displays/Worm.jpg

You may read more about them here
http://www.nfi.org.za/inverts/BIG12/mopani.html
http://www.scienceinafrica.co.za/2003/june/mopane.htm

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
MartiniDave said:
Kath,

You're not supposed to eat the sloes until after they come out of the gin and you've covered them with melted chocolate! Trust me, they're good like that! Don't think it works on sprouts though.

Not natural food, but I'm not at all keen on Quorn.
I've gone off rabbit lately too, shame cos theres loads about.

Dave

hmmm I've still got about a gallon of sloe gin here with the sloes still in.....

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Tvividr said:
No, they're not small at all - average size is about 8 cm or so, although I've seen some as big as 10 - 11 cm.

Nope, different species. I hope that they are able to protect them better than they do some of their other protected species. Otherwise, the poachers will be on them and as we all know, they don't care about the environment or leaving the trees undesturbed for future generations of worms. They only care about the money they get when done with the job.

S

Strider

Hmmmn....
would have to be Guinea Pig-the national 'delecacy' of Ecuador.
Appearance wise was(the first taste is with the eye...), we were off to a bad start, as the thing had been panned, shaved(mostly) and then deep fried. Served in all its oily glory with little squinting eyes and splayed out claws :yikes: What was disturbing was the fact that their faces seemed rather more point that a guinea pig's which led us to the possability that we were eating rats...
I took one bite of some of the ''meat'' off of a hind leg- tasted like bland, Very chewy and oily chicken. That was my first bite, and after finding something hard-ish in it, my last also.
Our guides were happily noshing away, laughing at our faces of horror.
Worse though was when i cracked open the poor little blighter's skull and had a taste of the brain. This was absolutley rank, tasting slightly of egg(slightly!!!), but it was a dare from a mate and consequently I had all of my drinks bought by him later on(Needless to say, I drank rather alot :lol: )

Cheers.
PS Simple rules of survival eating:
Do not eat anything the name of which you cannot spell or pronounce; which is larger than your head... or tomatos!!!!

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

Could one of you deepen what a limpet is? :roll: I'm dane and sometimes have to look up the dictionary... :wink:

Cheers :uu:

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I've heard that if you want to eat slugs (then ) you must boil them in water and thereafter let them dry.... This should remove most of the slimy stuff!? Never tried though!
I steer clear of slugs.... they can feed on some nasty toxic stuff thats builds up in their bodies, not really good for you if you know what I mean.... snails on the other hand are another story ;-)

Worst wild food..... ummmm.... Has to be rosehip.... a nice cup of that soon made me oraly shed my daily calorie intake.... not a pretty sight.... :yuck:

Ed

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i have to agree with those of you who have said that limpits are pretty disscusting, but the texture is ok, where as winkles.... they are soo much worse texture wise and dnot taste much better!

Danzo

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 8, 2004
Close to Sherwood
Wayne said:
Cheese in all its foul incarnations. why anyone would choose to eat the stuff is beyond me.

The smell makes me violently sick. What's worse my wife loves the stuff.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Cheese is the devils sperm.

:censored:

Danzo

Hjaltlander

Life Member
Feb 4, 2004
Shetland Isles
hmmm, I'm surprised no one has mentioned baked beans, the very thought of a baked bean on my plate with my breakfast would make me run a mile and go hungry for at least a week! (well 5 minutes, lol)

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Dock leaf, verrrrryyyyyyyyyy bitter, yeuch

I wasn't too taken with the taste of Burdock shoots either, will probably give thew root a try this weekend

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Yes, very bitter ... must try dock pudding though one day!

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I once ate a ladybird by accident... thinking about it, they really do advertise the fact that they taste like s :***: t being covered in bright red with black spots.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Maybe it is disgusting to someone else, but I actually liked stone-grilled grasshoppers and wood larvae.

-Emile

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE