The most disgusting?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
ChrisKavanaugh said:
Boiled yucca looks and tastes like grey wallpaper paste with a hint of redwine vinegar. :eek:

I've had something similar in France. A thing called "patisson", a sort of flattish, round fruit in the cucurbitacea family (cucumbers, marrows, pumpkins).

patisson.jpg

The flesh is white, has virtually no flavour, and is far too easy to overcook.

This stuff is the bland king of blandness, so you really need to add something to it. And French dressing (oil + mustard + vinegar) was on mine... but without the oil or the mustard.

As for a Dutchman who doesn't like pindakaas, I think you must be the only one!

Do you eat pink and white mice on toast?

Keith.

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Keith_Beef said:
I've had something similar in France. A thing called "patisson", a sort of flattish, round fruit in the cucurbitacea family (cucumbers, marrows, pumpkins).

ISTR that our transatlantic cousins know these as "Patty Pan" squash.

Far too bland to be entirely revolting. Taste mostly of "grey"

I can eat and keep down most things, but I am really REALLY unimpressed by:

Polenta
Risotto - any sort, tried loads incl. cooked by Italians
Couscous

They don't make me ill, I'd just rather eat rice, bread, spuds or, at a pinch, papier mache.

Nearly everything foraged I find acceptable when I've finally checked that it's non-toxic 10-15 times :rolleyes:

Jim.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Why has no-one mentioned Marmite yet?
In polite society it is the "Devils Earwax", among friends it's made of "Monkey sp*nk and brick dust".
Slow moving sea food is all poisonous, mussels, winkels, cockels etc as are insect grubs - I'd rather eat my own ears! Whereas crabs, lobster and prawns are great. How can this be?

Peanut butter and sprouts are food to the gods, but I have to agree with the cheese thing as I've recently become dairy allergic!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
JimH said:
I am really REALLY unimpressed by:

Polenta
Risotto - any sort, tried loads incl. cooked by Italians
Couscous

They don't make me ill, I'd just rather eat rice, bread, spuds or, at a pinch, papier mache.

Polenta. Quite tasteless stuff; needs flavouring. It can be nice when it's refried to a thin "biscuit" in olive oil and butter, then eaten as the carb with a stew or soup.

Risotto. Great stuff. Easy to make. Fry a chopped onion and diced salami in some butter or oilve oil. Add 1 cup of arborio rice, two cups of water, a stock cube, a handful of peas, or some other veg chopped small. Red or yellow peppers (capsicum) is good for colour. DO NOT ADD SALT as there's already more than enough in the salami. Cover, and wait for the rice to absorb the water. This can take 20 minutes for arboria rice... At the end of cooking, remove from the heat, and stir in a bit of cheese.

Couscous is almost tasteless, but has a bit of texture. Put some currants or sultanas in dry couscous, add some spices (ras-al-hanout, wu hsiang fen, or whatever is to hand). Pour over enough boiling water to wet it all, stir then leave to stand for a couple of minutes so the grains swell.

Most grains can be used instead of rice and are available from healthfood shops.

I often eat rye, wheat, spelta (a variety of wheat), barley and kamut. Often, these are sold with the husk still on; cooking times are longer than polished white rice, but the texture is better and you get some more protein and much more fibre.

Keith.

M

marcja

Just out of interest has anybody ever tried those Teredo Worms, I seem to remember them pictured in one of RM's books. There's not much I won't eat but the look of those things was enough to put me off for life!

Mauro

Aug 4, 2004
Cambridgeshire, UK
In the mediterranea island of Sardenia, it is traditional food a kind of cheese with maggots.

Now it's forbitten to be sold (due to European laws on food). But it was the staple diet with the shephards of the island. It seems they use to particularly appreciate the maggots, so much that they called in "maggots with cheese". The maggots were from a rare fly found only on the island.

I tried it once.... I really liked it!!!!

However, HEINZ Baked Beans are the worst thing I know.

Moine

Forager
Worst thing I ate in the bush was fish. Not any kind of fish, though...

"Survival" outing. I was around 12 or 13 I guess. Near a river. I had found an old rusty iron can to use as a billy. Then I saw a whole cloud of mini, mini salmons. You know, about 2-3 inches long salmons... I grabbed my baseball cap and easily got a few of them... I was so hungry (you know, I had skipped a meal ;)).

I put the fish in the rusted can, lit a fire, and boiled them. Now that was the stupid part of the plan. As I boiled them (alive), a weird smell started to hover around the whole area. Like concentrated, rotten fish oil. Then rusty colored foam started to appear on top of the water... Dark orange, almost red foam that bubbled and smelled like the end of the world. The smell was just horrible, but the taste, I have to admit, was much, much worse. It's hard to describe, actually. Think of a mix between rehydrated mommy and rotten concentrated fish liver oil, with a subtle, but very robust rust seasoning...

This is the time in my life when I was the closest to abandon the "what you kill, you eat" principle. 15 minutes afterwards, as I puked my soul out, I decided that from then on I'd poach bigger fish ;)

Cheers,

David

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Mauro said:
In the mediterranea island of Sardenia, it is traditional food a kind of cheese with maggots.

There's a similar cheese from Crosica, supposedly. But I've never found any and never met anybody who's really seen any...

It's mentioned in this page:
http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/...1/dt/4/srchdte/0/v/1/sp/328508336162364783300

In at least one book by Jean Anglade ("La soupe à la fourchette", probably, but maybe "Dans le secret des roseaux") there is mention of farmhouse cheese in Auvergne that has some sort of animalcule living on or in the rind... I don't know if it's an insect, or some other invertebrate; I think it's called an "artison"...

Keith.

Rod

On a new journey
A cold grilled green pepper - yak supreme

Sprouts - totally vile

Potted Hock - something my Scottish godmother used to force feed me as a child when I visited. Cold boiled mutton that has been shredded and set it its own juices (jelly). Better stop - I'm going to puke. Her homemade chicken soup was, on the other hand, sublime.

Not eaten anything 'au naturele' that has yet to disagree with me - so far!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE