The 'Luxurylite' camp bed; opinions please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

auscam

Feb 13, 2010
Australia
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Ultr...450?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae1a2288a

At the end of August, I'm going to walk the Bibbulmun Track at least one way unsupported, and already have a TTTM hammock, tarp and poles, but have recently come across this bit of kit. It's not especially cheap, weighs about 1kg, seems as compact as such an item is likely to get, and may be a viable alternative, considering the following points;

'Free camping' (hammocks etc) is discouraged on the Track, I can't assume that there'll be space in the shelters that are spaced one day's walk apart, and what's left of my back precludes sleeping on the ground if at all possible. There's also our legions of Killer Beasties to consider. A search of the site revealed one thread on this subject in 2009, so it seemed reasonable to start another.

Sleeping kit will be Buffalo Special 6 shirt and HA salopettes, and the patrol bag and bivi from the US modular sleep system. Weather will be end winter/early spring.

Anyone tried one of these? Pros/cons etc?

Last edited:

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
One of our team had one of those in namibia last year. Seemed very nice and incredibly light
Quite a bit of money though. You pay for the lack of weight of course

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I got the opportunity to check these out, as Rob from 1-2-1 Wilderness was so kind to post one to last years Moot. Didn't sleep on it, but it was a close call when I was playing with one on a sunny day.

Takes a bit of practice to get the hang of putting those tubes in places (see YouTube for some vids). They're also bit small, as they're 183cm in length - I'm 193 and managed to get comfortable by placing my rucksack at the foot end. Even laying on my side and belly was comfy (as I'm not a backsleeper I thought this would be important ;))
The official website shows you to put a small foam mattress on the bed if it's getting colder. I put my Exped 7 down airmattress on it ... and was happyzzzzzzz

It's high on my "I want one of those" list.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I were doing the bibbulum track, I'd hammock it all the way. Just be discrete. There is a heck of a lot of forest there. If you use webbing around the trees it isn't going to do any damage.
I've slept in the the shelters. Unless they've changed a lot, you sleep on a solid wooden bench. It's less comfortable than the ground outside.

I've heard the attitude to fires has changed and they are pretty much banned year round. That's a shame, but I can understand why. When I lived in WA most of the big bushfires where started by people making a campfire.

I did set off once on the track - we lasted two days. The map was utterly inadequate and when we asked the forestry commission about it they admitted that a lot of the track markers get moved, or ripped down by jokers. Would be tempted to take a GPS if I tackled it these days.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
Great bit of kit, but pricey. Not quite sure about the length problem though as I'm 6'5" and have no problem at all.
If it's cold you will need some kind of insulation though as you get the same sort of issue with compression and conduction you do with a hammock.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE