The local woods beckon- but where do you all go?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BrutonW

Jun 16, 2004
The idea of going out into the woods for a night or two is familiar to almost everyone on this forum, and I agree with you all there's nothing like spending time in the woods, and being close to nature.

But where do you all go???

What I mean is what woods do you go to? Are they privately owned or public woods. I haven't been able to find anywhere locally where I can practice bushcraft (using open fire+sleeping out etc.) Everywhere I've found locally is protected and does not allow the use of open fires, or allow overnight stays etc.

I'm especially interested in areas in Lancashire and the NW

Will

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Each year in summer my dad and I go to Sweden, either hiking or canoeing. This year it's canoeing, BTW. :wink: Normally for 5-6 days.

And then there's home, sweet home, which is (for me) a good place to bushcraft. Not excellent or ideal, but good. :wave:

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I haven't been able to find anywhere locally where I can practice bushcraft (using open fire+sleeping out etc.) Everywhere I've found locally is protected and does not allow the use of open fires, or allow overnight stays etc.
Nearly all land open to the public has no fires, no camping allowed. You need permission of the land owner to camp on their land, its the same with fires. I have a couple of private areas that I use and a wildcamping site in the brecon beacons where you are allowed to have fires.

You need to try and find a friendly land owner or tenant farmer who will let you use his land.... maybe for a small fee

Ed

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
Sorry, I can't help you with the UK. I spend my life between central Pennsylvania and Belo Horizonte, Brazil.

In PA the best place to practice bushcraft that I have found is Saint Anthony's Wilderness. It is the second largest roadless tract in the state, located just east of Harrisburg below PA 319. The Appalacian trail cuts through the center and there are many other trails that loop through the area. Once you leave those trails you own the place as nobody but a fool would leave the trail there.

In Brazil I have a place between Ouro Preto and Itabirito that is PRIME for bushcraft or survival training. The lowlands are covered with single canopy tropical forest. Above this is an area of scrub forest land. The surrounding mountains are a tropical alpine ecosystem totally different than the lowlands.

While none of it is true jungle or true desert the techniques necssary cover both those climates. The only problem is that it's illegal to hunt in Brazil. can't have everything... Mac

S

Skippy

I have a couple of regular local sites where luckily I can get away with overnite stays, and if sensible also an open fire....but although public places are getting harder to find everyday, there is no need to lose out on practice.

I have spent many summer evenings in the backyard trying out a new fire trough, or drill, and almost set light to the rabbit hutch into the bargain. :?:

there are plenty of skills you can master in the comfort of your garden or local park, (obviously NOT trapping skills).

hobbitboy

Forager
Jun 30, 2004
Erm... it's variable
In Staffordshire either...GibbTor Woods, or Gradbach woods, probably not the best but the closest/best to where i live (Stoke)

Not found anywhere in Sheffield yet (my adopted home[University]) any clues guys????

Brainflex

Nov 6, 2004
£11,500. Bought in two lots, so spread the cost a little. Got very lucky but I am broke now.

S

Skippy

had a chance to buy a very small copse on the isle of sheppey a couple of years back, for £150.00 yep the price was unbelievable, only catch was there was no access to it, owner of the surrounding land wanted to charge access fees, i am sure there was a legal way round it but could not afford the legal costs at the time.

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
I do not have anywhere specific to go at the moment, but I can still wander through common land and rights of way. Noone can stop you examining plants and gathering a little food (I try to keep clear of areas where crops are cultivated for the obvious pesticide problems). Also a wander to a park can prove excellent tracking territory for everything from birds to foxes and if you are lucky, badgers and deer, (I have seen Roe deer on Southampton common, and found foxes in one of the small parks in Sidcip, Kent!). The way I see this is that when I do find somewhere, I will be that much more experienced to enjoy the surroundings. Additionally, some camp sites allow fires, and in winter can be good places as the owners are more likely to allow you a little more leeway as you are a paying customer out of season, bare in mind you really do have to go out of the way to find places like this, i.e. places that do not do quite so well usually because they are on the edge of a tourist attraction. As an example, I got to light a fire and mess about in the local wood that belongs to Brighstone holiday camp on the Isle of Wight, but only because it was out of season and the owners needed money. Don't forget the wonders of beach combing either, long walks down the coast can also foster new places to wander. The problem of course is it takes forever to get to know where you can "play".

Greg

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Ed said:
Nearly all land open to the public has no fires, no camping allowed. You need permission of the land owner to camp on their land, its the same with fires.

sorry Ed but this does not apply to scotland

it seems camping and lighting fires are ok in scotland unless there is a reason for them to be disallowed eg fire risk , crop / livestock damage etc

there is more on another thread in here somewhere

Tant

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
You are quite right :biggthump

BrutonW was looking in the lancashire / NW area, the reply was aimed at the origional post I quoted ... sorry I should have made myself clearer :oops:

Isn't there places in the lakedistrict (those above a certain height) that you can camp?

Ed

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
:wink: Ed s'ok

i just couldnt resist it

if ya go north from the northwest, Brunton you should find the natives in the south west much more friendly :lol:

Tant

RobertsonPau

Tenderfoot
Dec 7, 2004
North Yorkshire,UK
Ed

I've been 'informally' told by NT staff and Rangers that above 300m/1000ft that you can camp anywhere in the Lake District National Park and they won't get stressed. But, they also say that the land owner might get stressed and ask you to move on. I've wild camped all over the Lakes area, used to live there and still visit as often as possible, I've never been asked to move on, never been hassled by landowners other than for a brew when they've been passing. I would recommend Sty Head Tarn at the top of Borrowdale, the trout leap from the water!:wink:

Paul

Cairodel

Nomad
Nov 15, 2004
Cairo, Egypt.
Either somewhere in the Western Desert, Ras Mohamed protected area or, more often an oasis we came across in Sinai. The last one is the only place where there is any wood (palms) to provide any cover. Obviously we carry everything we need, but no problems with open fires, sleeping out although we always take a tent ( you never know what might crawl in beside you !??! ). Never any problems with the locals, although they don't seem to understand "mad foreigners" who actually WANT to sleep in the desert!!!...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE