Where do we come from - What are our backgrounds?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Beagle Scout

Feb 17, 2023
Moray - NE Scotland
Long time lurker here who only got around to actually creating an account recently.

Looking back, I guess it was inevitable that I would end up with an interest in "Bushcraft".

Think it all started way back when I was a toddler, with my mum who was a Guide captain at the time, I learned a lot about tracking, knots, firefighting etc from being taken on Guide camp or various outdoor events etc. Once I was old enough, I joined, cubs, scouts etc and loved being in the outdoors. I hated living in the city and my pals and I would escape to the hills etc at any opportunity.

I'm still involved in Scouts 40 odd years later as a leader, and now living up on the Moray coast with an amazing partner who loves the outdoors as much as me.

TLDR Scouts and Guides got me into the outdoors and "Bushcraft".

Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

slingback

Jan 10, 2013
Highlands
I grew up on Salisbury plain, through a good dose of waywardness I spent alot of time put playing, joined up and found my way to learning alot about survival and the psychology of it but my out doors time became more about smashing point to point to get to the end rather than enjoying my time, undertook a fundamental course in 2007 which slowed me down and gave me a focus on more traditional skills and crafts, then started working in the outdoors in 2010 while juggling other jobs until a full time role came up so I became an bushcraft company's quartermaster/ full time instructor for a few years until moving to Scotland a couple of years ago to work as estate maintenance and horseman for the deer stalking, though I still teach part time. Books that have pushed at different times are kephart, thoroue(I can not spell) Nan Shepard( absolutely wonderful) R Mears, Bernard Mason all and any, white spider. And more but they are the main readers I think, and really not sure why I've put a list of books that I suspect are commonly known about here but hey ho, it wouldn't be me if I didn't ramble a bit, oh and hi I've been away but finding I have a slower pace of life now so more southey posts incoming

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
I was pondering all the different types of people that do bushcraft, I came into it through a childhood freedom to roam about, a sense of adventure, making dens and shelters, camping out etc as a kid. I remember once camping out, I didn't own a sleeping bag etc, it was so cold, the whole night wad just shifting about shivering, a great learning experience. I also enjoyed military surplus stuff, kit in general and edged tools ( my first career was carpentry and cabinet making).
Then I went on a Woodlore fundamental course, me and my friend figured the we'd go, it would be fun in the woods and we'd not actually learn that much as we knew loads already, our eyes were open and I was a little hooked on Bushcraft from then on, that experience was the birth of Bushcraft UK.

So, I had a little background, some freedom, some hands on experiences, sometimes awful experiences, a course and then I arrived at 'Bushcraft'

How about you?
I am a punk rock anarchist type. Did all that outdoors bit as a kid. Disagree with government and its dis-empowering of the population and making us reliant on them. I now live off grid and think that I could, if the need arose, be self supporting. I love learning, discussing and teaching others what I have learned. All in the spirit of anarchism, that is , FOR FREE. thanks for asking the question x

Reactions: Keith_Beef and MrEd

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE