The Irony of knife recomendations on BCUK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
when some asks for advice on knives on this site the first thing suggested is a Mora Clipper or 780. A stick tang with a very short tang and about 2.5 mm.

As soon as the price goes up the next thing is the most cloned knife around the woodlore style about 4 mm thick so its strong with scary tales of stick tangs being weak but no evidence of this.

OH the Irony:fishing:

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i don't understand it either, sure custom knives look the part but can they do anything that a mora can't? no, not unless you pay attention to those 'destruction tests' on youtube :rolleyes:

pete

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
This threads a bit like going onto a two stroke motorbike forum and asking what fuel oil mixture people use and why people use that exact ratio:)

Before long there's people talking about Amsoil mixed at 100/1 and others saying they use theirs mixed at 32/1, those threads never get resolved.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Fortunately there was no question in the original post...just a statement, so no one need feel obliged to respond at all :D

Some hope :lmao:

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
This threads a bit like going onto a two stroke motorbike forum and asking what fuel oil mixture people use and why people use that exact ratio:)

Before long there's people talking about Amsoil mixed at 100/1 and others saying they use theirs mixed at 32/1, those threads never get resolved.

Not another forum to go on :eek: I do like a spot of 2T action and miss my 350 LCII Like mad :(

Ohh Im likeing Puukkos by the way in case I haddent mentioned it :)

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Not another forum to go on :eek: I do like a spot of 2T action and miss my 350 LCII Like mad :(

Ohh Im likeing Puukkos by the way in case I haddent mentioned it :)

Buy yourself an MZ then, 2 stroke oil and tyres, always provokes a good row an the list.

Richard

Ropeman

Forager
Apr 16, 2005
Aberdeen
when some asks for advice on knives on this site the first thing suggested is a Mora Clipper or 780. A stick tang with a very short tang and about 2.5 mm.

As soon as the price goes up the next thing is the most cloned knife around the woodlore style about 4 mm thick so its strong with scary tales of stick tangs being weak but no evidence of this.

OH the Irony:fishing:

I'd go from 'buy a mora' at the low end to 'buy a mora and a spare mora' in the middle to 'buy a mora and an axe' at the top end.

if you don't know what you want, don't buy a custom knife. Wait until you know what you want or don't want in a knife.

everyone knows 2 strokes aren't proper motorcycles though.:pokenest:

They are the Diesels of the motorbike world. Perfect machines. As long as you can carry 5 cwt of tools and spares on board :D

forestwalker

Thats is a minor point of argument. Just as long as you aren't one of the heretics putting grease in their balls (the ones on their series Land Rovers, I hasten to add). Almost as bad as the morons who think that just because Land Rover initially only put 90w in there all substitues will make your vehicle explode or something.

Ropeman

Forager
Apr 16, 2005
Aberdeen
Thats is a minor point of argument. Just as long as you aren't one of the heretics putting grease in their balls (the ones on their series Land Rovers, I hasten to add). Almost as bad as the morons who think that just because Land Rover initially only put 90w in there all substitues will make your vehicle explode or something.

So that's why the guy who sorted out my Land Cruiser ones used oil instead of the grease he should have put in there. Thanks, that had been bugging me.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Marvelous, the thread now covers:
Two strokes versus Diesels
Sticktang versus Fulltang
Sticky up eared Rabbits versus floppy eared rabbits.
Grease versus EP 90
Brie versus ?
Can we add Fair weather biker versus all weather biker (FWB v AWB)
Harleys versus Massey Fergusons
and lets not forget Husky Versus Stihls:)
01 versus A2 in a Hand plane iron.
Skandi grind versus everything in the whole wide world ever, ever, ever, honest guvnor.

Now where's that innocent whistling smilie when I want him?

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I usually suggest that people get a mora if they've not used knives much before, they might always stick with it, some decide to. It gives them some time to look at other knives, get to know how they're used etc and then they can make an educated decision about what they want for themselves, be that a £10 knife or a £1000 knife, I have never cared how much anyone spends on a knife or what sort of knife, that's entirely up to them and not my place to judge, after all, don't we all buy things that other people don't appreciate as much as us...

On another note, i'm missing my bike, I had an plain jane GL1100 for a few years and i was talking about it yesterday....now more bike talk...Umm...I keep reminding myself that it's dangerous around here on a bike......Umm

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE