The importance of the knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
In survival - quite high, it's an important tool.

In camping - hardly necessary

In bushcraft - quite useful but not essential

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Essential to survival. If you have a knife you might have a life. :D nooo, just joking. A bit more specs would be great :) If I had to choose I would choose axe instead of knife. More power but the same sharp edge...

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
You need water, shelter, food, fire.

A knife can help you with all of those, if you know how to use it to obtain them.

So it's about knowing how to use one, not about having one.

I often say if I could only take one thing with me, it would be my Jerven bag. The second thing would be some sort of container.

Then I might start thinking about a knife. But I could make something if I had to, they did it in the Stone Age.

Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
You need water, shelter, food, fire.

A knife can help you with all of those, if you know how to use it to obtain them.

So it's about knowing how to use one, not about having one.

I often say if I could only take one thing with me, it would be my Jerven bag. The second thing would be some sort of container.

Then I might start thinking about a knife. But I could make something if I had to, they did it in the Stone Age.

How many people know how to use a knife though?

A bombroof way to make fire would in my opinion be better than a knife.

Then again with enough knowledge you could get by quite comfy with just a knife.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
How many people know how to use a knife though?

A bombroof way to make fire would in my opinion be better than a knife.

Then again with enough knowledge you could get by quite comfy with just a knife.

Problem is, the most bomb proof natural ways to make fire, usually mean needing a knife.

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
One lesson that was drummed into me at scouts, in my youth, was that “if you see your kit disappearing over a cliff and you can only grab one item you should grab your knife. If you know how to use it properly it will keep you alive”. Probably not actually true in all environments but it does cover a lot.

When the knife law thingy was all over the press in the UK I did try walking without it. It made me feel really uncomfortable. Having taken advice from the local constabulary I have now returned to carrying it if I’m out walking in an isolated area, much better :) .

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
As Santa says it depends on where you are.

Out in the bush at home in Oz water and shelter from the sun are number one.

Don't need a knife to catch lizard, frogs and insects to eat

Yeah, out West here shelter from sun gets more important too. Something to dig with is always good. I suppose digging, fire building and other odd chores is an advantage a medium or large metal knife has; it's ability to multi-task as more than just a cutting tool.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
In my area a knife is a luxury item but a machete is truly essential to survival. Here the machete will literally touch on every aspect of survival in the wilderness from opening a path, constructing a shelter, harvesting vines for water or lashing, preparing materials for fire, harvesting wild edibles such as palm hearts, constructing traps, etc. The machete is the master key that unlocks the jungle environment, without one you would be hard pressed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE