*The* Gift-It-On Thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
gift it on is an extended swap, you take something then offer up something back. It's only greedy if the thing you offer back up is worth disproportionally less than what you took. Regardless of what you intend to do with the item?

;)

Anyone got a link to making a satnav from a ten Bob pop can ?
Wouldn't be half as bad if there was more contribution to forum.....

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
Surely the value of an item is what its worth to the taker. If something is not wanted or perceived to be not worth it then its not taken and is normally changed.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all.

On offer two tin can stoves and charcloth

;)

Anyone got a link to making a satnav from a ten Bob pop can ?
Wouldn't be half as bad if there was more contribution to forum.....
I agree totally, of 21 posts 13 are in the gift it on thread,all within (less than) a month of joining and he cant even drive as far as I can see , quote from Northwood post" just have to get permission to go from my parents and a lift from them too"
Nothing against Womblewill, but I hardly think taking advantage of the forums generosity' is the way forward...
rant over
peace and goodwill to all :)
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

on offer- two tin can stoves and charcloth

i'll get me coat...:AR15firin

cerbera

May 10, 2010
N. Ireland
I agree totally, of 21 posts 13 are in the gift it on thread,all within (less than) a month of joining and he cant even drive as far as I can see , quote from Northwood post" just have to get permission to go from my parents and a lift from them too"
Nothing against Womblewill, but I hardly think taking advantage of the forums generosity' is the way forward...
rant over
peace and goodwill to all :)
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

i'll get me coat...:AR15firin

Perhaps one for the mods to look into :)

I know we're doing swaps as such but I would always offer equal to or greater than what I received.

Same as Geocaching really :D

On with the gifting...

effzedess

Apr 29, 2010
Peterborough
Peace & love guys, peace & love.
Just my ha'pennys worth - I've never had the impression that the GIO thread was about actual value of the gift offered. I would humbly note that if we all offered a gift that was of equal or greater value than the one received, then 'values' would spiral upwards and the thread would very soon reach a point where only a few of us 'crafters would be in a position to join in and it would probably stall.
If on the other hand we are not talking about monetary value then surely 'value' depends on the 'Gifter' or 'Giftee'. For example, a SatNav may be of little value to me if I already have one whereas a tin can stove would be very valuable if I have no way of boiling water or heating food.
Just my thoughts
Cool Yule to you all

cerbera

May 10, 2010
N. Ireland
'value' depends on the 'Gifter' or 'Giftee'.

That was I meant, you put it better :)

At the end of the day if no one wants your offering no one will take it. One man's junk is another man's treasure :D

This thread should about gifting; let's get back to it!

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I have to say I'm starting to get a little tired of all the bickering that has started to appear in this thread (and the site in general to be fair)

The thread has been running for over 18 months, almost 5000 posts and HUNDREDS of people have benefited from the generosity of others. It started with a folding trowel and has drifted all over the place and in the main has run quite happily.

I get the feeling that some people now want to just grab for the sake of it and it saddens me a little. This is the time of year for goodwill but unfortunately it seems the materialistic mentality that seems to be gripping the world now is sadly creeping into our little oasis on the internet.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE lets live and let live, enjoy (and accept) the items that are offered here and stop the petty fighting among ourselves. If it unfortunately continues I will be considering contacting my favourite Mod and asking for the thread to be locked! please don't let it get to that position as it is the last thing I want to happen but if necessary I will ask for it!

Also please don't think I can't take a joke! anyone who knows me will tell you that CERTAINLY is not the case. However some of what are possibly intended as jokes just come across as deliberate attempts to wind people up and bait the situation further which dosn't help the situation at all.

OK enough of my moans (though I have had to endure loads of yours in the past few months) so I will leave you with the compliments of the season and wish you a happy Christmas and a Gift-it-on filled new year!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I agree with what you are all saying, but i don't have anything more substantial to gift on unfortunately ;S

I will take those!
I will put up another set of my black leather pouches - see my "Welsh Bushcrafter Leather pouches" thread in the Makers Market section for details.
I cannot get them posted before Xmas I am afraid :D

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Wow, feel guilty for upping the stakes so much! Feeling generous for the time of year, I expect. It was a brand new one my neighbours threw in a skip - I just haven't used it since getting TomTom on my phone

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Mesquite
I will offer up The Encyclopedia Of Country Living

Wow this book seems the bees knees. Here's reviews by buyers on Amazon

"By GENE GERUE "Author, Find Your Ideal Country Home" (Zanoni, MO USA)

This review is from: The Encyclopedia of Country Living: An Old Fashioned Recipe Book (Paperback)
Carla Emery was a national treasure and this book ensures her legacy. This is simply the most informative book ever written on country living, the next best thing to having a live-in grandmother who knows everything there is to getting homegrown food from dreams to dinner plates plus nearly anything else you need to know. Begun as a 12-page table of contents for a recipe book in 1969, the present ninth edition has 858 pages of far more than recipes. Veggies, vines, trees, grains, poultry, goats, cows, bees, rabbits, sheep, pigs. Planning, nurturing, harvesting, preserving, preparing. Flipping pages at random finds starting transplants, breads leavened with eggs and beating, speeding up tomato sauce-making, harvesting herbs, making cider, managing an existing stand of trees, root cellar storage, soap making, brooding chicks, secrets to safe cattle handling, cultured buttermilk, cooking on a wood stove, jams and jellies, making a wool quilt. I use my "Carla book" constantly. If your budget or bookshelf has room for only one book, this is the book to buy. Yes, even before you buy mine.

96 of 96 people found the following review helpful:
5.0 out of 5 stars The most complete and thorough book ever!, August 11, 1998
By kgilles14 (Alta Loma, California)

This review is from: The Encyclopedia of Country Living: An Old Fashioned Recipe Book (Paperback)
When I purchased an 8-acre ranch in 1985 I had a six-month old baby one on the way and had never been off of concrete in my life. Now I had 8-acres, goats, chickens, rabbits, ducks, geese, pigs, 60 fruit and nut trees and an acre garden. I had no clue how or what to do! I learned everything from reading that book. How to harvest, can and cook up your garden & orchard harvest, feed and butcher animals, all kinds of doctoring for kids and animals, crafts, and even how to cut hair. That book is so dog-eared with tape from all of my years of use. I owe my sanity to that book. It has every scenario imaginable. I recommend it to anyone living in the country or on a farm or thinking of it. What I learned from Carla Emery's book will stay with me forever! The knowledge is priceless."

I wish I had room for it

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If no one else is itching for the book, I'd like it please.

Feeling kind of guilty since I've already had good things from the thread though.

cheers,
M

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If no one else is itching for the book, I'd like it please.

Given to the lady :) PM me your address

Feeling kind of guilty since I've already had good things from the thread though

No need to feel guilty Mary... it's been sat waiting for someone to nab it since 8:30 last night :cool: and there's no restrictions on how many times you ask for things on here

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE