The future is here, the future is SUGRU

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
could be useful, could be clutter. Personally i like to repair my own gear. Whilst I think it is an Okayish idea, it does not look like a long term solution.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Interesting stuff - I'll try to get my head of department to buy some so we can play with it - sorry: so the kids can make something interesting and constructive out of it...

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Many thanks for posting this, the potential of this stuff makes it a very useful addition in the workshop and repair kit.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I used a packet to repair my army boots where the leather had worn through to the toe-cap. It comes in tiny packets so wouldn't really take up much room in a kit and could be really useful out in the bundu

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Mildly dossapointed to see that it only has a 6 month shelf life - then becomes brittle.

I have reservations - more like a solution looking for a problem

Ogri the trog

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Thats been my experience too Ogri, I bought some a few months ago and havn't really needed to use it. Gave most of the packets away so far. I have used it once to make a more secure mount for my iphone but even that wasn't "required" it was just fun to do. Having some around is great but I think 6 months really limits its usefulness.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Son1 gave us some packets of it. It's kind of interesting, but I haven't really found anything to make from it except a new handle on a small threading tool.

The shelf life thing might be an issue, Polymorph works just as neatly, has no shelf life and just needs to be boiled in a cup of water.

cheers,
M

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Do you like to make your kit look tacky? do you enjoy that fixed by a five years old look? then buy this stuff! I'll even throw in a chaff term to help you explain why you have "Hacked" your glasses with some play doe, and increased there weight tenfold, for no apparent reason! INTERGALACTIC PROTON POWERED ELECTRICAL TENTACLE ADVERTISING DROIDS!

Last edited:

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I admit, I've used one packet to wrap around a key to distinguish from other similar looking keys on the same ring and another packet to mend my boots. Haven't really got a use for the other packets, yet, but for a quick repair in the outdoors, I don't think it's bad stuff

Atellus

Jul 15, 2007
Warrington, Cheshire
Someone suggested I could use this stuff to fix the cracks in the toe creases of my boots before they become holes, or to fix the holes where the stitching has parted on the uppers of a pair of old shoes. Has anyone successfully done so?

And what's this polymorph stuff? Google is not co-operating (apparently, it's also programming language). Although I did find this guy who reckons its just the same stuff as hot glue, but sold for a premium.

I'm very annoyed by the creases... they were £100 Brashers! Nothing else wrong with them.

Cheers

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I used some to patch a large hole in the leather toe of my army boots - works OK but not pretty

The polymorph stuff is harder than hot glue. It sets like Nylon but melts again in boiling water. I'll post pictures of it when I get home

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't know if the sugru would work, for this but the polymorph does; it's strong and firm enough in moments to make a replacement screw cap or wingnut.
I was impressed at it's sheer solid security and the ease of making it.

cheers,
Toddy

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but finally got round to taking a photo of the stuff I was talking about:

904185db.jpg

Used it to make a bobble on the free end of my whoopie sling this evening - has the advantage that you could make a safety bead without having to unthread the sling:

f4ce116a.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE