The End of Internet Knife Sales. Law change could target one-hand opening folders

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
What they should have to do is prove the new legislation has made a measurable difference to the statistics within a year or be made to repeal the law.

Reactions: santaman2000

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
What they should have to do is prove the new legislation has made a measurable difference to the statistics within a year or be made to repeal the law.
The government can make sure the statistics show an improvement, you can be sure about that, same with the unemployment figures, unemployment goes down, yet we are producing less goods, etc, any economist will tell you that don,t make sense.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Yoga! I know. The idea of competitive yoga sounds crasy ... until you actually talk to some middle class yoga types :lol:

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
Me and Tipi are having some problems thanks to this new law. He bought my Skookum and I sent it from Belgium to the UK. After several days the tracking-program stopped logging any changes. We contacted both BPost (Belgium Post) and Royal Mail. After quite some effort we started getting some feedback.

Looks like the knife is being held at customs, we have no idea what they will do now.
- Send a letter to Tipi for him to come and pick up the knife
- Send a letter to me to prove that it is not a weapon of any kind
- Send the knife back to me

Very painful affair, as I'd like Tipi to be able to get what he paid for ofcourse.

I'm also wondering, would I be able to send the knife with a third party like DHL or FedEx without all this fuss?

Any feedback from you guys is much appreciated.

(I was not aware that the new law was already being enforced)

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
As this is not an illegal knife to own, there is no reason for it to be held up by Royal Mail or whatever, as long as there are no restrictions in posting it at your end, the Law (new proposals) have not come into force as yet, tell your buyer to contact his MP and his MEP and demand a reason for his goods being unlawfully held up, do this as quickly as possible,( it can be done by email, quickly). Posting it with any other carrier would not guarantee a beter result, as it is the customs in this country that stops it, and all mail goes through the customs before being released.
Make sure the MP knows he has sent a copy to the MEP, and vice versa,

Reactions: Ruud

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Last Saturday in poundland, as I was looking at the DIY section I overheard an old biddy complaining that they were selling blades, yes the tiny scalpel like blades. Were doomed I tell you, doomed.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Probably dreads......

That is the power of media. People get neurotic about anything.

Read a couple of months ago that they invented a package for raw chickenbreast ( deboned, skinless, boneless, joyless) so the young generation does nit have to touch the yucky raw meat.....l
Sorry, ‘Protein’..

But now I am diverging..

People with media presence and tv fame need to take a stand for logical knife regulations.

One short article from RM or BG can be more effective than all you guys writing letters to your MP’s.

Specially as they make a pile of cash selling them, so it is in their interest.

Last edited:
Reactions: ProjeKtWEREWOLF

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
One short article from RM or BG can be more effective than all you guys writing letters to your MP’s.

Specially as they make a pile of cash selling them, so it is in their interest.

The new laws will have no impact on the way they sell their knives or affect the income they make from them so why would they bother?

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
No?
When the general population starts seeing a normal knife as a tool for mass murder, people will buy less and less of them.

If you guys are risking having your tool taken by an overzealous police officer, you are less likely buying an expensive one.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
If someone under 18 illegally buys a knife plastered with 'Bear Grylls' branding on-line and uses it to stab someone then that might also impact his knife sales. It would also look really bad if he'd put out a statement saying 'I think unrestricted on-line knife sales are the way forward'. The press would crucify him.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
  • The general population already sees knives as weapons. They have been buying fewer for years. The folk who are interested in bushcraft are a very small subset of the outdoor market, much less the general population.
  • Mr Mears and Grylls are most unlikely to receive a particularly significant portion of their income from knife and tool sales. Yes, Bear has a deal with Gerber, but he has deals with Craghopper, and does TV shows, and books, and goodness knows what else. Ray has an exclusive Spyderco, some high end hand made knives with his name on them, and sells Moras, along with a LOT of other gear, and courses, and books, and TV. Gerber sells knives through outdoor shops here, face to face.
  • As DaveO says, if the media wanted to, they could crucify them. That could lose them more business than a few knife sales that are missed because of where they need to be delivered. All the more so since it could be pointed out that they do make money from selling knives, which the media would say means they are biased and have a vested interest.
  • The new laws do not make any change to what a police officer can do if he finds you in possession of a sheath knife (and may not make a difference for folders...TBD). If they should make a difference on OHO knives, people who buy high end will still by high end, but a different style.
  • If you are found by police to be in possession of a knife, the knife being confiscated is the least of your problems. If you have the reason for it, they should not have any reason to keep it, if you don't, you are looking at court and jail time. I would rather have to explain an expensive, custom or serialised knife than a cheap plastic one.

My 70+ mum gets rather a kick when she is out shopping from helping out knife-less people when they need to cut things. She has an S30V Spyderco UKPK and enjoys the looks of surprise when she offers it to cut their string or open a package. I do have to watch her though as she MUCH prefers her yellow Mini-Griptilian, and would carry that all the time if she could!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Your mum is a legend!

Grylls not making much from knife sales?
I think we would be shocked if we knew how much he makes from them. Those Gerbers sell all over the world in huge numbers. You should see the range in the US!

I did not mean they should endorse knife carrying. But I think they could do an educational statement. The general public know them and like them.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
  • The general population already sees knives as weapons. They have been buying fewer for years. The folk who are interested in bushcraft are a very small subset of the outdoor market, much less the general population.
  • Mr Mears and Grylls are most unlikely to receive a particularly significant portion of their income from knife and tool sales. Yes, Bear has a deal with Gerber, but he has deals with Craghopper, and does TV shows, and books, and goodness knows what else. Ray has an exclusive Spyderco, some high end hand made knives with his name on them, and sells Moras, along with a LOT of other gear, and courses, and books, and TV. Gerber sells knives through outdoor shops here, face to face.
  • As DaveO says, if the media wanted to, they could crucify them. That could lose them more business than a few knife sales that are missed because of where they need to be delivered. All the more so since it could be pointed out that they do make money from selling knives, which the media would say means they are biased and have a vested interest.
  • The new laws do not make any change to what a police officer can do if he finds you in possession of a sheath knife (and may not make a difference for folders...TBD). If they should make a difference on OHO knives, people who buy high end will still by high end, but a different style.
  • If you are found by police to be in possession of a knife, the knife being confiscated is the least of your problems. If you have the reason for it, they should not have any reason to keep it, if you don't, you are looking at court and jail time. I would rather have to explain an expensive, custom or serialised knife than a cheap plastic one.
My 70+ mum gets rather a kick when she is out shopping from helping out knife-less people when they need to cut things. She has an S30V Spyderco UKPK and enjoys the looks of surprise when she offers it to cut their string or open a package. I do have to watch her though as she MUCH prefers her yellow Mini-Griptilian, and would carry that all the time if she could!

All fair points but just to note, Ray Mears has made a statement about this to the gov. Bear, I can't see that he has.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
As someone who dabbles in law enforcement, I often feel the need to clarify some of the beliefs about being caught in possession of a bladed article. Chris rightly states our powers have not changed in relation to section 1 PACE (power to stop+search). I can confirm:

1) if you’re in a rural setting with a belt knife, are friendly, and have good reason to carry it and don’t try to hide, you’ll have no issue. It’s like with shotguns/firearms. I have worked rurally and on many an occasion chatted happily to someone with a gun slung over their shoulder where in a city it would have been a full firearms authority.

2) if you head into an urban setting, put the knife in a bag. You’ve still got good reason to carry it as you’re going from A to B.

3) police have no interest whatsoever in persecuting law-abiding citizens. If you’re not committing offences while in possession of a blade, are always polite and reasonable, and follow the two rules above, you’ll be extremely unlikely to find difficulty.

Remember, just have a good, lawful excuse to carry it. Work? Perfect. Doing a bit of forestry? No prob. Gardening? Ideal. Self defence? NEVER!!!!!

I always carry my UKPK.m, both on and off duty. When I head to the woods, my knife is always on my belt, sometimes even breaking my rule for a trip to the shops. But I always clearly look like someone who is working rurally. I never worry.

Feel free to contact me with any other questions.

Cheers.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE