The End of Internet Knife Sales. Law change could target one-hand opening folders

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
It is a bit Off Topic, but when I got my two knives from Siberia, they were accompanied by a document each. I had a Russian friend translate them, and they stated basically that the knives were intended for eating and for bushcrafting, that they were not intended for self defence or military application.

It was the blade smith / knife maker that had to go to the lical Police station and had them inspected.
My friend said it was the overall design including the blade length that determined the category.

Not a bad idea if the British maker had to do the same? Assuming the Law specifies what a Knife Permit can be isdued for.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I think it's time I dusted off my cape, binned my med's and go to my alter ego to fix these streets. Only 'the anti badger' can answer the midnight cries of this frightened and dieing nation! He may not be the one you asked for, but he is the one we need.

(Online and instore retailers need only see photographic i.d like a picture of your drivers license or passport prior to order completion and have the mailman require an adult to sign for the package, that's as fixed as it'll get, asking for more won't do jack. Beyond that, bad kids need help and bad parents need to try harder)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
It is a bit Off Topic, but when I got my two knives from Siberia, they were accompanied by a document each. I had a Russian friend translate them, and they stated basically that the knives were intended for eating and for bushcrafting, that they were not intended for self defence or military application. The nice knives don't get used in dirty situations, cheapo chuckaway knives do.

It was the blade smith / knife maker that had to go to the lical Police station and had them inspected.
My friend said it was the overall design including the blade length that determined the category.

Not a bad idea if the British maker had to do the same? Assuming the Law specifies what a Knife Permit can be isdued for.

It's easy to buy supermarket or online marketplace knives that are used in crime. You could send a pointy pencil and say it's not intended for self defense or military application while Staff Sargent needs a new pencil. Pointed objects are covered by the same deliberately vague law.

Makers of artisan custom (art) work should be able to let their product arrive at any buyers home. It'll be a sickly and devious, point making government that disallows this.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm moving on legal, custom knives because the maker cannot send them from his country. The PO actually want to see the item before it is packaged, and then refuse it because it's a knife. We had a similar thing happen here where the graphic of "Weapons" on the Post Office list of restricted items was a pic of a knife. Post Office moron staff were asking what was in the package and disallowing it as a weapon.

Thankfully they replaced the knife graphic with an Uzi. :). Honestly, I despair of it, I just send cutlery, custom cutlery, bushcraft tools, camping equipment. Never use the K word, it freaks their little 'wannabe a policeman' brains out.

Word of the day...discretion.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Now this is a new fangled idea, but i suppose if someone had a room somewhere, maybe in a town centre, and you could go and order knives from pictures in a book. Maybe they could sell guns too, and hip flasks.Then you would have to wait for your order, and get age verified. Well just have to give up on the internet as old tech.

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I was wondering if you could just remove the thumb stud on such knives?

I also wonder how long before the 338s are banned after the 50 cals?

1. I guess so but unless you have the threaded hole spot welded it would still qualify as an assisted opening knife.

2. Not long at all I suspect along with similar in capacity wildcat variants and any rifle action that allows manual rapid fire.

K

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I think it's time I dusted off my cape, binned my med's and go to my alter ego to fix these streets. Only 'the anti badger' can answer the midnight cries of this frightened and dieing nation! He may not be the one you asked for, but he is the one we need.

I wouldn't do that round here just yet as they be shooting badgers round these parts.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Knife Carry Licence....?

Yes, fine with me, bring it on.......have seen them in South Africa.

I'd be cool with that too, making multitools, locking blades etc legit aswell.

I wouldn't do that round here just yet as they be shooting badgers round these parts.

The anti badger fears not guns, knives with sharp tips or corrupt politicians!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
So in general, our LORDS and masters want to impose further intense authoritarian efforts leading to an ever greater strain on the population?

Who'd a thunk it eh?

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Hopefully as the legislation progresses it will be amended to the point where it has been effectively neutered from a rabid attack dog to a puppy that might nip. It already hints at an expansion to the legitimate carry clause and pressing your MP for clarification about this may be the way forward.

Of course if Tesco has secretly joined forces with the Health & safety Brigade and are planning a coup-d'etat to corner the market in pre-sliced produce.then we're all screwed.

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
I think there is a danger of getting bogged down with the assisted opening/ flick/ gravity knife thing. There are so many knives from big manufacturers that open one handed that I doubt they will come out to be flick knives. (But they may, the lock knife thing was perverse)
The big one, for me, is the internet ban. I think there is a reason to do this probably based on dealers, not like the ones mentioned in this thread, selling knives which will appeal mostly to those to young or too stupid to be allowed to own one. However it will catch a lot of people in the same net. So long as a solution can be found that will address problem "A "whilst minimising the impact on the rest of the population then they may consider it.
Commercial concerns and damage to businesses will play on a politicians mind so they may be more open to influence on this. A lot of retail companies do allow click and collect so this may be a (Slightly annoying) answer if these could implement ID and age checks. I would happily buy from a local store but they don't exist with the selection that the internet can provide.

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
The gov are looking to ban 50cal, as they consider them to be 'material descruction devices'. But they can only be classed that way, when using certain types of ammunition, which long range target shooters are not permitted. (Explosive, armour piercing etc.)
And there are lots of things with a half inch hole down the middle, that are not the military looking high power rifles which they seem to be fixating on. So expect yet another messily worded act, with too many unintended concequences.

They are also looking at banning the lever release rifles. As they see them as exploiting a loophole, due to previously badly written acts.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Dave,
Your post has been deleted. Too much general political moaning. We did say that at the start of the thread. You knew, 'cause you said you didn't mind if we deleted. cheers ;)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
[Fair enough. :) I could have gone on and on and on and on and on.....no really.........Im great company! ]

This new proposed legislation is very poor IMO. And greatly effects those whose income relies on knife sales, who should be compensated, because I do not believe it will deter knife crimes.

Last edited:

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
Your scenario is not that bad. Would work.
I assume that being able to get the ‘knife permit’ , we would need to state a need. Bushcrafting, hunting, fishing, camping.

How much is a shotgun permit these days?

On that basis let's require a license for any item or activity which could cause harm.

Golf is a silly game but the clubs make excellent weapons and have been used in assaults.

Martial arts? What's the point? You have oriental arts, boxing, MMA, archery and many more. These skills and weapons can hurt. I think we should licence them and only allow "safe" people to learn them.

And on, and on and on.....

There has been a slow and steady erosive loss of tools and rights over decades. Media spin driving public opinion and legislative change has seen a massive difference between the UK of my youth and the one I see today. This proposal is another step in producing a UK that my grandkids will have to live in.

If you want to cook a live lobster you can drop it 8n to a pan of boiling water and it'll fight like buggery. Put it in a pan of cold water and gradually turn up the heat and it'll accept the warm bath until he's cooked.

I don't want to be a lobster.

Chui

Feb 18, 2010
London
Golf is a silly game but the clubs make excellent weapons and have been used in assaults.

- yes, people on other forums have mentioned this, including baseball bats etc.

However, the reason some folders are being focused upon is their potential deadly use in the wrong hands/wrong time and their total ease for being carried covertly - concealed - whichever way you wish to look at it.

Teenage kids don't go to school with golf clubs and baseball bats in their pockets...

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
There has been a slow and steady erosive loss of tools and rights over decades. Media spin driving public opinion and legislative change has seen a massive difference between the UK of my youth and the one I see today. This proposal is another step in producing a UK that my grandkids will have to live in.

What tools have we lost? Most restricted or banned items are usually banned because their primary use is as weapons not tools.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
What tools have we lost? Most restricted or banned items are usually banned because their primary use is as weapons not tools.

Everything can be used as a weapon, and cause harm, an Item only becomes a weapon when it is used to cause harm.
A tool is anything that is used to do something, for example, a stick can be used as a lever, thus it becomes a tool, a brick can become a hammer, etc, etc,
Hit someone with a stick, or a brick, and they become weapons, a knife is a bit of metal sandwiched between two pieces of wood, use it to cut a limb off a tree, its a tool, use it to cut string, its a tool, only when it is used to hurt or scare someone is it a weapon, if its sitting in a drawer at home, its just an item, and funny enough we are losing the knives, but not the sticks or the bricks, etc.

Guzzi Goose

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2011
London
The gov are looking to ban 50cal, as they consider them to be 'material descruction devices'. But they can only be classed that way, when using certain types of ammunition, which long range target shooters are not permitted. (Explosive, armour piercing etc.)
And there are lots of things with a half inch hole down the middle, that are not the military looking high power rifles which they seem to be fixating on. So expect yet another messily worded act, with too many unintended concequences.

Aren't all explosive rounds Section 5?

Lets see If the landed Gentry root through their gunrooms for any old .500 Nitro Express Holland and Hollands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE