The edible plant calender

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
leon-1 said:
Nice job Johan:D

I notice that Jon has been mentioning some of the homeopathic ones which are on the list that we have been talking about, hopefully we can chat about them when you come over:)

Thanks Leon! Glad you like it :D
I'll bring the lists, so we've got some reference and guidance during our chats :beerchug: ;)

Jon Pickett said:
I personally find a field guide invaluable. For example I was doing some plant surveying today for our local countryside wardens on an area of wet meadow. I found some Mercury...............

<snipped picture>

Now is it Dogs Mercury mercurialis perennis or Annual Mercury mercurialis annua ? They both look similar in the book and can grow in similar habitats, but the field guide told me that dogs is hairy and annual is not. This lot was hairy, so it is dogs mercury...................Jon

:D
My Flora learnt that both Mercurialis perennis and Mercurialis annua have hairs. Albeit that M. perennis has significant more hairs (on it's fruit) as opposed to M. annua.
;)

What field guide do you use Jon? (Makes me wonder we might use both the same sort of book, but we both know it under another name :confused: )

gunnix said:
Well yea, I think there are uses for a flora and a field guide. To make my "herbarium" I ofcourse use a flora.
Yea I heard the Heukels flora is very good. Do you have the new version?

I do have the new edition (23th edition - 2005; the 22th edition is from 1996 ...).
The new edition has over 2000 species in it. That's an 8% increase!!! :D

Dutch version of the list is completed and already send out (e-mail) to those who showed interest.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I mainly use Collins new generation guide, wild flowers of britain and northern europe, because it is quite compulsive,(but not as compulsive as your guide) though for identification it is not the best. I also use collins herbs and healing plants of britain and northern europe, which is great for identification and locating plants quickly, as it goes by colour, but it is not compulsive, I also take hamlyns wild flowers of britain and europe which goes by colour, but again not compulsive. If I cannot positivly identify a plant with these books, then I will take photo's and look them up on the internet at places like www.botanical.com or www.ukwildflowers.com and a few others. If that fails I will put it up on a wildlife forum or ask a good botanist I know......................Jon

Saskia

Mar 2, 2006
The Netherlands
I really like the scheme.

I only have a small addition for the tolerance test.
This test is usefull when you are not sure about the species and when you want to eat them uncooked.
For example Urtica dioica (nettle) is not edible when you follow these rules (it itches), but is very good to make soup. So more plants (or plant parts) are edible when cooked.

Also, washing the plant before eating could avoid nasty diseases.

bartjen 2

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2006
belgium
hallo mijn naam is bartjen 2 ik woon in belgie Ik las dat je de nederlandstalige versie hebt van die kalender van eetbare planten. Wil je mij die ook es doorsturen??? Alvast bedankt als je geinterseerd bent ik heb ook al wat dvd en dergelijke
badankt

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
bartjen 2 said:
hallo mijn naam is bartjen 2 ik woon in belgie Ik las dat je de nederlandstalige versie hebt van die kalender van eetbare planten. Wil je mij die ook es doorsturen??? Alvast bedankt als je geinterseerd bent ik heb ook al wat dvd en dergelijke
badankt

Hello Bartjen,

I have indeed a dutch version of this calendar, and won't mind forwarding it to you - this is if you supply an e-mailadres by PM (private message).

You must note though this is an UK based forum, so the language spoken on here is English. I've seen at least one other post from your hand writtten in dutch. I would like to urge you to post from now only in English. So our fellow bushcrafters (mainly from the UK) know what you are talking about. You probably don't mean to, but writing in a language the majority doesn't understand, can be explained as being rude / impolite. And, by posting in English will gain lots more response, as more people can help you ...
So please use English, if the person you talk to speaks dutch. However, you can use dutch when you send messages by PM, as these are private, and thus not open to the rest of the forum

Cheers mate.

sparkplug

Forager
Jan 24, 2008
East Anglia
For some reason when I read the thread title I was expecting this to be the sort of calendar which you hang on the wall with the days of the month on it!

On further reflection though - that's exactly the sort of thing a novice like me might find helpful.

Each month could have pictures of three or four different plants which are in season that month along with a brief description of how to use them.

It's such an obvious idea that it's probably been done before?

If not, I can produce the artwork if someone can provide the knowledge and some pics :)

EatWeeds

Nov 18, 2008
Devon
www.eatweeds.co.uk
Problem with these kinds of calendars is that the growing season varies across different parts of the UK. What is out in one part, often isn't in another part. Also with 'warming' happening seasons are slowly shifting.

G

Glasgow

I'm new to this site and I can't see the calendar. what do I need to click on to see it? :) Oh, it's OK - I've found it.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Glasgow

That's great information. I'm working on a foraging website. Can I use your calendar?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE