The Amish as a source

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Charlz9mm

Forager
Jul 1, 2012
USA
Hello, I am from the US but lurk here. I hope no one minds. I live in the souther US ( forget what Hollywood depicts, lies, lies). There is large Amish community nearby. If you are not familiar with the Amish, they are a religious sect that eschews all electrical devices, cars, phones, etc. They ride in horse carts and cook over fire daily. They are an odd lot but offer some info to the modern bushcrafter.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello :) and welcome to the forum......maybe post in Introductions and Welcomes too ?

As I understand it the Amish are a very capable people who practice traditional farming techniques. Horse power means what it says kind of thing :) I suspect a lot of their work comes under what we would call self sufficiency and would be of great interest to the prepper folks.
Very self reliant, iimmc.

cheers,
Toddy

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...as they are polygamous I doubt if they've noticed..."

I think you may be confusing the Amish with another older sect of Mennonites (or as someone has mentioned) the Mormons of times past (mostly). :)

Some of the Amish could teach us useful skills relating to working with wood, plant identification and probably a few other things of interest.

Hello Charlz9mm, we have an introductions section, you should tell us a bit about yourself and be welcomed. :)

Last edited:

Charlz9mm

Forager
Jul 1, 2012
USA
Yes, I should have started with the introduction section. My apologies. Yes I am the product review person from Youtube. Yes the Amish are not polygamous. They have large, weathered wives with historical hygiene. One item of interest is their deep concentration on edged tools, basketry and leatherwork. My sense is that the BC UK forum has an interest in these skills. I love these skills as well. I do notice that the Amish do not see the beauty in them but rather view them like we see plumbing or auto repair. As I carve my spoon I have a bit wonder. They on the other hand wonder how much the tourists will pay for it or will it stir the stew. I don't degrade them for this since their view is born out of need. They are interesting and frustrating at the same time. Their skills are excellent. All of of us in the world outside their sect are referred to as the English.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
They can tell you exactly what it is to live without electricty, as they are polygamous I doubt if they've noticed.

The Ammish aren't polygamous. That's the Mormons; or it WAS the Mormons 150 or so years ago.

The Amish are known for their NOT using electricity, gas engines, and most modern devises; as well as their total rejection of violence.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hello and welcome from another Souterner (born & raised in Mississippi, retired to Florida after several stops elsewhere in the Air Force) Where in the South are you?

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
The Ammish aren't polygamous. That's the Mormons; or it WAS the Mormons 150 or so years ago.

The Amish are known for their NOT using electricity, gas engines, and most modern devises; as well as their total rejection of violence.

Didn't I read somewhere that some of their stricter members been beating up and beard-shaving some of their members who weren't quite orthodox enough? Big court case in the USA if I remember correctly.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
People who don't appreciate beauty wouldn't put all the work into the elegant simplicity of their quilts, or their basketry, or their buggies :D
I think it's more akin to making a good job of making things. Items that look 'right' :) clean, tidy, organised, practical. Content in things well made, not pride.

A bit like BR or others who look at the shelves of home made produce and the jars shine like jewels; that's satisfyingly organised, seasonal work, and it has an intrinsic beauty that those who just run to the nearest supermarket will never appreciate.

cheers,
Toddy

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I watched the documentary a while back and found it really nice. There were one or two issues with the lifestyle i didnt like but the community spirit, craftsmanship and tool skill were second to none. I particularly enjoyed the barn raising where everyone came together and build a barn for one of the families.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I watched the documentary a while back and found it really nice. There were one or two issues with the lifestyle i didnt like but the community spirit, craftsmanship and tool skill were second to none. I particularly enjoyed the barn raising where everyone came together and build a barn for one of the families.
Now there is a benefit of living in a community......why don't we do that in this country?:lmao:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
..probably because we're too individualistic to have every facet of our lives controlled by a dictator (which is, in effect, what the elders in these cults are)....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE