Pulling a log upto the fire.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 16, 2011
England.
Good morning!!

First of all, my name is Mike and no, I'm not a Commander in the military. The name comes from the time I didn't know what to register a forum one day and I had Under Siege on in the background, and who was on the screen? You got it; Commander Krill!

Well anyway, I live in England at the moment and I'm moving to Sweden hopefully within the first half of next year. England is very limited in where you can go and what you can do when you get there, Sweden on the other hand is very lax and there aren't many rules and regulations to limit the outdoorsman in having a blast.
I came to the conclusion to move because I want to be closer to nature where I can pick up my belt and go into the wild and be in my element. Other than that, it's mainly the political trials and tribulations in and around the UK that I really can't stand, but hey, I don't want to put a damper on peoples spirits by going into it all.

I've worked a job that paid ridiculous money for what I did and I learnt very fast that material wealth only gets you so far, and money doesn't necesarily make you happy. So now I'm in the mindset that as long as I earn enough to pay the bills and put food on the table with a little aside each month to buy a new bit of kit like any normal bushcrafter with an underlying kit addiction wants to do.

When I get settled in Sweden and start learning the language more, I will hopefully be starting my own online store to sell outdoor/survival/bushcraft items. I will be reviewing every single item I sell extensively so people know exactly what they're getting, and because I know what it's like to receive an item that has a hyped up sales pitch and it actually being a pile of junk, I want people to see it in action, it's practical uses and some proper knowledge about the item and situations it would be pertinent in.
I will be looking to do the best deals I can possibly do whilst keeping the lights on. Obviously I will need to earn a living from it, but I think it's of much higher importance than is realised to be more self-sufficient. And a lot of self-sufficience requires some things that are prepared for us, but those things can then be used to manufacture and harvest other things to maintain your hobby or sustain life. So I definitely want to make it affordable for people to get into the craft side of things and also the preparedness side of things.
If you take a look at NASA's predictions of a solar storm in May of 2012 that could potentially knock out power on Earth for 4-10 years, it makes you wonder just how difficult the majority of people will find life without things on a silver platter for them, without electricity, potential food shortages etc. It's extremely important to have some primitive knowledge if you will. We came from the land and the land still offers ways of providing for us if we know how to harvest its offerings.
Also the Youtube channel I will be starting will cover alot of survival skills, I will be documenting expeditions I make in all seasons in the scarcely population Northern Sweden, taking the average kit most campers/hikers/hunters would take but also showing how people can survive being minimalistic, which is something I've really grown to love lately.

I just realised how much of a sales pitch/advert the above looks, but it's totally not, I just think that helps explain and paint the picture of the person I am and what I want to do and what I'm about.

Cody Lundin is probably my biggest inspiration. Before I learnt of him I was already into the survival/prepper scene, but when I saw him on Dual Survival and his approach to things, it really made me think.
I've always been someone that doesn't take things at face value, there is always something else that goes unseen that plays a part in the complete picture, atleast that's the way I see it.
And with all the politics and wars around the world in the name of religion, acts of terrorism in the name of religion, it made me think about God. I've never been a religious person and I don't think I ever will be, but the more and more I think about things, I just can't fathom how everything came from nothing. People can talk to me about exponential growth of the universe etc but to me I ask " Okay so how did the universe get there? "... My understanding is that there may or may not be a God, but there is definitely something more to it than what we see. Everything doesn't come from nothing, and if it does then it makes you think. If everything came from nothing, when we lose everything and go back to nothing, we haven't lost anything. And the life cycle is kinda the same. We came from the Earth and when we die we go back to it and we're recycled into the whole cycle.
But yeah I guess what I'm trying to say is that if there could ever be anything that is considered God or the governing body of our existence, it's Earth; and it will be until I see a shimmering gold hand decend from the clouds lol.

So yeah, I think the connection to the Earth is important. If you saw me in the street the last thing you would think of me is that I'm any sort of hippy or anything. I don't think I am either, I guess I'm just a normal guy that thinks into things and I guess I feel it's better to keep some things to myself.
Stereotypes exist in people whether they like to believe it or not, so generally it's best to just keep personal beliefs like that to yourself. But on here atleast I feel that there are probably like-minded people that are the same as me and keep it to themselves, or a normal bushcrafter that can appreciate the beauty of nature in ways most other people don't see or couldn't care about.

Anyway, I think the only thing missing on this post is a binding and some covers, so I will shut up now lol.

But I look forward to meeting you all in conversation and hopefully learning new things which I think people should never be afraid of admitting, no one knows everything! And I hope that I can help a few people along the way aswell.

In advance, it's a pleasure to meet you all and thank you for reading!

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
You're right about the binding and cover LOL! But an interesting read nonetheless. First thing I've heard about this NASA prediction of losing jiuce for a few years. not sure whether to look into that further, make plans or slot that in with other weather forecast preditions and open the window to check instead of fret what might be in store for today.

All the very best with your enterprise moving to Sweden, sounds exciting. Looking foreward to getting to know you a bit better too.

Welcome!

spartacus

Forager
Sep 10, 2010
Bulgaria
Hello and welcome I enjoyed your post even if it was missing the binding. I know exactly where you are coming from. Over three years here in Bulgaria and loving it. Where does the time go is about all the negative thoughts I get lol.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Hello, and thank you for that very, um, er, provocative post. :)

If you've been reading the Telegraph, now might be a good time to cancel the subscription.

Nobody knows what will happen in the next solar maximum, but speculation by half-crazed journalists isn't very helpful. The power grid in the UK is one of the more robust systems on this planet. I don't see why anyone would predict the loss of electrical power for years at a stretch when a small generator costs something in the region of a hundred quid.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE