getting old ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
i am , just found this on a site for her majesty`s finest, According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 50's, 60's, 70's and early 80's probably shouldn't have survived, because our baby cots were covered with brightly coloured lead-based paint which was promptly chewed and licked.
We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, or latches on doors or cabinets and it was fine to play with pans.

When we rode our bikes, we wore no helmets, just flip-flops and fluorescent 'spokey dokey's' on our wheels.
As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or airbags - riding in the passenger seat was a treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle and it tasted the same.

We ate chips, bread and butter pudding and drank fizzy juice (Tizer) with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

We shared one drink with four friends, from one bottle or can and no-one actually died from this.

We would spend hours building go-carts out of prams/scraps and then went top speed down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes.

After running into stinging nettles a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and could play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark.
In the summer in didn't get dark until 2130hrs.
No one was able to reach us and no one minded.

We did not have Play stations or X-Boxes, no video games at all.
No 99 channels on TV, no videotape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no personal computers, no DVDs, no Internet chat rooms.

We had friends - we went outside and found them.

We played marbles in the gutter.

We played chicken and rounders, and sometimes that dart/ball really hurt!

We fell out of trees, got cut, and broke bones but there were no law suits.

We had full on fist fights but no prosecution followed from other parents.

We played 'knock down ginger' and were actualy afraid of the owners catching us.

We walked to friends' homes.

We also, believe it or not, WALKED/CYCLED to school; we didn't rely on mummy or daddy to drive us to school, which was just round the corner.
We made up games with darts, arrows, sticks and tennis balls. We rode bikes in packs of 7 and wore our coats by only the hood.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of...They actually sided with the law.

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever.
The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

And you're one of them. Congratulations!

Pass this on to others who have had the luck to grow as real kids, before lawyers and government regulated our lives, for our own good.

This my friends, is surprisingly frightening......and it might put a smile on your face: The majority of students in universities today were born in 1986........They are called youth.

They have never heard of Lola, We are the World, We are the children, and the Uptown Girl they know is by Westlife not Billy Joel.
They have never heard of Rick Astley, Bananarama, Nena Cherry or Belinda Carlisle.

For them, there has always been only one Germany and one Vietnam.

AIDS has existed since they were born.

CDs have existed since they were born.

Michael Jackson has always been white.

To them John Travolta has always been round in shape and they can't imagine how this fat guy could be a god of dance.

They believe that Charlie's Angels and Mission Impossible are films from last year.

They can never imagine life before computers.

They'll never have pretended to be the A Team, Lone Ranger, Cisco Kid, RedHand Gang or the Famous Five.

They'll never have applied to be on Jim'll Fix It or Why Don't You.

They can't believe a black and white television ever existed.
And they will never understand how we could leave the house without a mobile phone.

Now let's check if we're getting old...

1. You understand what was written above and you smile.

2. You need to sleep more, usually until the afternoon, after a night out.

3. Your friends are getting married/already married.

4. You are always surprised to see small children playing comfortably with computers.

5. When you see teenagers with mobile phones, you shake your head.

6. You remember watching Dirty Den in EastEnders the first time around.

7. You meet your friends from time to time, talking about the good old days, repeating again all the funny things you have experienced together.

Yes, you are getting old!!!

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Ditto, you old git!
I've been out playing in the rain today, lighting fires, getting wet & cold (good character building stuff), guess I've always done it.
As a kid my step-dad used to take me ferreting (possibly not legally :naughty: ), up 03.30, sneaking about in the dark, talking only in whispers, standing around for hours till I could'nt feel my feet or hands, but I loved it!
I use to go out and sometimes not come back until the following day (only got hypothermia once :?: ), I did'nt have money for good kit to stay warm & dry, but I did have a passion for being "out-there".
Leon-1, a freind & I (we were still at school I think)spent a New Year in a big wood, carrying some nasty old kapok filled gonk bags wrapped up in cheapo ponchos, carried swag-style because we did'nt have rucksacks, the sleet got so bad we retreated to a damp cave and spent a night I will never forget, uncomfortable but fun, a true adventure ( I have a photo somewhere).
I guess this is why I love bushcraft so much, for me its not about the best or the latest, its about being there, I rely on me not kit, I amuse myself carving spoons, lighting fires, following animals and above all enjoying myself no matter what the prevailing weather.
Neil (old-git :biggthump )

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Knowing you are old is being able to remember that 'Black Jacks' (a licorice flavour chewy sweet with a wonderfully un-PC name and wrapper :)) were 8 for 1p :wink:

My 8 year old daughter asked me what had changed since I was a kid back in the 60's. All the way though the list of things I pulled out of my rapidly forgetful brain, she looked at me more and more with a look of total incredulity. It was then that I realised exactly what growing old was :)

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
and of course let us not forget that action man was a real man in those days http://www.vintageactionman.com/gallery.html , mine had some good heroic adventures when he wasnt trying to pull pippa and marie in his scout car
:lol: ps neil1 well said mate and find that photo and scan it n post it

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Tony said:
Long live the good old days..... :super:

And you listen to Radio Two (we know you do, you're among friends, you can admit it! :roll: )
One of the many great things about coming here is I don't feel such an "odd-ball", my experiences are echoed by so many.
To the younger members - you have much to learn - and here is the place to learn! :biggthump
Neil

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
IMO thats a load of rubbish! I was born in 1987...

I cycle(d) to school/college, i only watched tv when it was dark, i never had a pc until i was 14, if it was raining i was playing/listening to music, i had full on fist fights but then made friends a few hours later, played in the street, cut and bruised myself, have heard of all of those artists (apart from Berlinda Carlisle!), wished i never heard of bananarama :nana: , and i can imagine life before computers as i only heard of them aged 7, internet aged 11 (alta vista and netscape :approve: ), and i still walk to my friends house, the last time i asked for a lift from "mummy" or "daddy" was to take me to casualty with a broken thumb .

And i think the language used in the above text was slightly verbose, conveying a very prejudice opinion (yours!) :wink:

:rolmao:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
im with jake.. im born in 1986

heard of all of that..
done pretty much all of it..
never owned a play station
dont really like tv (sept the simpsons :p)

though i will admit i know pleant of your kind of "youth" who would fit that bill pretty well.. i try to educate them!

is listen to radio 2 mostly tooo! :wink:

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
lol yeah I see myself in your thread, and know I am old.... 42 years now.
There is a difference between town people and folks from the country.
Living in bigger towns I could see too that the times have changed and myself I watched my kids all the time and I drive them to school too. I still do it because I am used to, but since we moved to the countryside I can see that most other parents still let their kids walk to school and run around the neighborhood until late evening. ....But still your thread holds.... all of them have a f--king mobil phone. And yes when I see teenagers with mobile phones, I shake my head.....Man I am f--king old. :nana:

cheers
Abbe

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i know plenty of old men (women tend to take a little longer) who have embraced the mobile phone and the internet as well as any young-en!

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
al said:
Now let's check if we're getting old...

1. You understand what was written above and you smile.

2. You need to sleep more, usually until the afternoon, after a night out.

3. Your friends are getting married/already married.

4. You are always surprised to see small children playing comfortably with computers.

5. When you see teenagers with mobile phones, you shake your head.

6. You remember watching Dirty Den in EastEnders the first time around.

7. You meet your friends from time to time, talking about the good old days, repeating again all the funny things you have experienced together.

Yes, you are getting old!!!

Damn that's me old then. Neil I freely admit to listening to radio2 and loving every minute of it.

I would have bought Brothers in arms on CD in '86 if I had anything to play it on.

Somehow accidents don't seem to exist any more someone has to be to blame. Do you remember when a policeman could give you a clip round the ear and not find himself on suspension for a month while the enquiry was conducted?

Oh for the good old days.

Bill

and i'm only 28.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
[QUOTE=tenbears10

I would have bought Brothers in arms on CD in '86 if I had anything to play it on.

I got it, played on a naff Panasonic turntable until it was scratched to hell :super:
Guess we're in bad need of a meet-up, so you young ones can prove us old gits wrong :biggthump
Neil

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Interesting. I was born in 50. Elvis was crooning on the radio and Howdy Doody was on TV. We built forts and tree houses in the old Oaks up on Sherwood Forest hill. Which was our name for a 20 acre woodlot. The rest of the area was tall sweet smelling grass and Mustand plants as tall as we were. Was a lot of fun playing hide-n-seek up there. My 9th birthday my dad handed me my first sheath knife and it was made by Case Co. We used our imaginations back then. Seem's today that the youth get their imaginations from TV and gameboy. I can see the kids today getting taught how to push buttons in certain sequences to achieve certain results. Seems that they do it pretty good though. So much is lost to the youth of today as compared to when I was a child. Then again, maybe I'm just getting old. :?:

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Mick Jagger was upset to find he had been interviewed for the AARP- american association of retired people. You also know your getting old when 1. your military kit is showing up on EBAY as collectable 2. people cannot understand why Dianna Rigg still makes your heart throb hosting a T.V. programme 3. The saleclerk with multiple piercings, tats and multi coloured hair thinks it's WAY COOL your buying PINK FLOYD and asks if you're buying it as a gift. Of course, you remember the 8track, cassette, 33 1/3 RPM incarnations of Dark Side of the Moon and wonder how long C.D.s will last. A few cute remarks always help, "Experience and treachery always win over youth and enthusiasm," and, quoting John Wayne " If you can't respect your elders, I'll have to teach you to respect your betters." My nephew got cheeky about my age, commenting that in so and so year I would be dead,whilst he would be alive. I pointed out that I had been alive a good 24 years before serious cosmic history started with his birth, and that until that august occassion he had been very much dead also. Asit says in the Bibble, 'To every thing there is a season, a time to cry, a time to Bushcraft etc."

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
To be fair...i do know wuite a few people who would fit that bill. But generalising is dangerous!

And i listen to Radio 4 :rolmao: :roll:

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Oh dear. i'm 32 and old.

i listen to radio 4 and have no TV.

I stayed in a hotel the other night and watched some telly. I could feel my IQ falling. Not much left to lose.

I work with some young uns and can't beleive how soft they have become.

I remember one of my best trips was to the local woods when i was 13 with a couiple of mates. it rained non stop and we were wet and cold no tent just some inept shelters. We told our parents we would be out for 5 days and nothing baring a direct nuclear strike would have had us running home early. I fell out of a tree and cracked some ribs. Great fun.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
As you all sit there on your PC's. Then drive to work.

Then YOU create a lawsuit because your child had a fight (not our fault all these law suits are flying around, we're too young remember?). You buy the playstation and pay for the television. You stop your kids playing out until dark, you make the children who whinge all the time whingers!

BLAME THE PARENTS :wink:

SEE! If we're generalising, i can turn it straight back onto YOU!!

It's really your parents who should be saying "i remember the good old days"

:rolmao:

Whose fault is it now?

:wink:

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
this thread has reminded me of a little song

There are jews is the world, there budists.
There hindus and mormons and then,
there are thoughs that follow mohamid but
I've never been one of them.
I'm a roman catholic
and have been since the day I was born
and the one thing they say about catholics is
they'll take you as soon as your warm.
You don't have to be a six footer
and you don't have to have a great brain.
You don't have to have any cloths on,
your a catholic the moment dad came
Because.........

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE