The Amish as a source

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not to get into the religiousness but the article on the Amish portrays the classic cult control of telling those within that it's awful outside and therefore its better inside being instructed by leaders. Relevant because some attempts at returning to nature, settling off the grid by practising bushcraft, include a dominating leadership and isolation from the outside world as their basic set-up...

Except that cults usually do so to benefit (usually finacially and usually to an extreme) the leader/founder. The Amish are a multitude of independent communities spread around the world whose leaders are selected by virtue of age.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Except that cults usually do so to benefit (usually finacially and usually to an extreme) the leader/founder. The Amish are a multitude of independent communities spread around the world whose leaders are selected by virtue of age.

I'd also bet that most cults don't make apple pie and ice cream as well as the Amish.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Not to get into the religiousness but the article on the Amish portrays the classic cult control of telling those within that it's awful outside and therefore its better inside being instructed by leaders..

Rather like you are saying that other ways of living are "awful" and people are better off living differently I assume?

For me, people are better off learning about as many ways of life as possible and selecting ones that best suit their own choices. I have certainly encouraged my daughter to experience as many cultures, beliefs and lifestyles as she can - and learn from them if not adopt them. Even if thats just the recipe for great apple pie.

I don't find that demonising (or worshiping) and one lifestyle is a sensible approach to life.

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Mate she's just completed here first degree and is moving on to her masters. She grew out of thinking American sports unifroms were cool after spending a few weeks there on an exchange at 12. A little late in life I agree, but there you have it :)

If it made her happy though - why not? Its everyones right to dress like a numpty if they choose ;)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Mate she's just completed here first degree and is moving on to her masters. She grew out of thinking American sports unifroms were cool after spending a few weeks there on an exchange at 12. A little late in life I agree, but there you have it :)

If it made her happy though - why not? Its everyones right to dress like a numpty if they choose ;)

Indeed, look at some of the hats and clothes bushcrafters wear :)

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!

Ahem, Point made I believe!:)

254095_10150284038904073_7573135_n.jpg

Charlz9mm

Forager
Jul 1, 2012
USA
Ahem, Point made I believe!:)

254095_10150284038904073_7573135_n.jpg

Where I come from the picture with the NRA hat would be considered formal wear. Perhaps you are going to a wedding? I suggest wearing a nice 1911 commander in stainless as an accoutrement. It would be gauche to carry a Glock to a formal event, or avante gaurde in the least.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
What really annoys me is the ban on buttons notwithstanding that Amish men wear trousers and not breeches, the vanity of it, I wonder what Calvin and Luther would have to say about that :)

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Where I come from the picture with the NRA hat would be considered formal wear. Perhaps you are going to a wedding? I suggest wearing a nice 1911 commander in stainless as an accoutrement. It would be gauche to carry a Glock to a formal event, or avante gaurde in the least.

:lmao::lmao:I will wear my best dress Sig 226 :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Could be an alternative to a 3 piece suit for a Florida wedding: Shorts, tank top, and flip flops.

I'm thinking of getting a tattoo of a revolver on my stomache so that it looks like I've got a 38 tucked into my bathing suit.

Charlz9mm

Forager
Jul 1, 2012
USA
Could be an alternative to a 3 piece suit for a Florida wedding: Shorts, tank top, and flip flops.

I'm thinking of getting a tattoo of a revolver on my stomache so that it looks like I've got a 38 tucked into my bathing suit.

Make sure it is not a 44magnum or people might think you are compensating. One must keep up appearances deary.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
For me, people are better off learning about as many ways of life as possible and selecting ones that best suit their own choices. I have certainly encouraged my daughter to experience as many cultures, beliefs and lifestyles as she can - and learn from them if not adopt them. Even if thats just the recipe for great apple pie.

I don't find that demonising (or worshiping) and one lifestyle is a sensible approach to life.

Red

Like that Red,
I use an analogy that may be controversial; The supermarket and the hard to steer trolley,;) as you struggle around your local Frescomart you put into your trolley those items you need, those you enjoy, those that work for you and occassionally those new things you would like to try.
If those new things meet with one or more of the other requirements they may become a constant in your trolley otherwise you leave them on the shelf for someone else to find and to consider adding to their equally obstinate trolley. They are as welcome to them as I am glad to leave them on the shelf.

However, I got here while looking into barn building! I have been asked to re-build one, HillBill post #74 popped up on google and the part at 2.05 is what I hope to avoid:yelrotflm
interesting thread also as I have long admired the work ethic of the Amish and their hand tool skills. I got interested after going to a Shaker exhibition in London in the early 1990's and admiring some of the furniture they produced, they did use some powered tools but kept to very simple decoration, if any.
Hand tool skills are sadly lacking in the newer generations of carpenters and joiners in the UK, due to lack of training and the reliance on power tools to earn the money faster.

In bushcraft we will often employ four main tools, none have a power cord attached, a knife, an axe, a saw (buck or folder) and possibly a spoon knife. In doing so we re-connect to the material in a very personal way and re-kindle a part of the vanishing skillsets of today.
Should we not look at the "pre-modern" lifestyles as we do the Hasda tribes people or the aboriginals who try to keep their culture alive and borrow from them the skillsets we are losing?
I am sure I could learn a lot from them that could improve my skillset and be put to use, as many other things are, when I am out and about.

Right back to work for me!

Rob.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Should we not look at the "pre-modern" lifestyles as we do the Hasda tribes people or the aboriginals who try to keep their culture alive and borrow from them the skillsets we are losing?
I am sure I could learn a lot from them that could improve my skillset and be put to use, as many other things are, when I am out and about.

Right back to work for me!

Rob.

Increasingly in my life, I find lifestyles of older times and simpler ways more relevant to me. I'm fascinated by Bushcraft - but its really not that relevant to my daily life. The agricultural engineer who taught me to make ammunition, the hedge layer, the district nurse who taught me to make soap, the farmers wife that taught me vinegar making. These skills are still relevant to my life - but also dying out.

Funnily enough I was discussing home made fungicide with a member last night.

Years ago "Bordeaux mix" was what any gardener could make. Nowadays - not so much!

Its all fun though!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE