The “Isn't Life Great” thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you had a 'big' drop spindle, would you use that to make something like Lopi ?
It's a beautiful knitting wool, but it's really like a skinny roving.

I cleared out stuff to pack away for Tengu, and in that lot there's a big wooden whorl that I wondered if she could find any use for....I could pass that down to you, and you'd just need to carve a spindle for it. Bit of hazel would do well for that. It would let you spin some of that lovely Jacob's fleece into a thick yarn (think 5 or 6mm diameter singles) like Lopi.
There are other drop spindles in the bag for Tengu, so I doubt she'd miss this.

Spinning thick and warm is easy if you've a drum carder to get the fleece into rollags first.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thats a great tutorial.

We sell those looms at the Crannog Centre. I was wondering what they were.

Now I know.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Spinning and plying use so much time even with a wheel. Janet is ok making socks but a jumper would be an investment of many evenings even in chunky.

I’ve seen a simple spinner that consists of a sewing machine motor driving a conventional flyer via a the foot pedal. I’m not sure it would be quicker but you could get it out and put it away easier which means you’d use it more often.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My default setting on spinning is fine worsted. It's how the elderly ladies who taught me to spin made their yarns for weaving. To spin an open airy bulky wool, evenly, not a lumpy mess, means I have to pay attention. It's worth it though, especially if there's a lot of fleece available because it makes something really sound, and it spins up fairly quickly, certainly much more quickly than my fine worsted.
I used to do that kind of yarn for jumpers. They knit up very quickly too, and they're comfortable and warm. Lopi yarn isn't plyed, so it's not like making Aran wool.

It makes jumpers, etc., like these.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brizzlebush

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
If you had a 'big' drop spindle, would you use that to make something like Lopi ?
It's a beautiful knitting wool, but it's really like a skinny roving.

I cleared out stuff to pack away for Tengu, and in that lot there's a big wooden whorl that I wondered if she could find any use for....I could pass that down to you, and you'd just need to carve a spindle for it. Bit of hazel would do well for that. It would let you spin some of that lovely Jacob's fleece into a thick yarn (think 5 or 6mm diameter singles) like Lopi.
There are other drop spindles in the bag for Tengu, so I doubt she'd miss this.

Spinning thick and warm is easy if you've a drum carder to get the fleece into rollags first.

I'll certainly give it a try. Thank you, I'd love it. My spindle is made from a kids wooden spinning top(from the ubiquitous charity shop,) so is very small.
I have a white exmoor fleece that could be used for spinning, as a pure white rug would get dirty quickly, so I'm not keen on using it for rugs.
The Jacobs are multi colour so hide a multitude of marks!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thats a great tutorial.

We sell those looms at the Crannog Centre. I was wondering what they were.

Now I know.
You can see what I meant about using them to make mats though ? I've used everything from the thin field rush to flag iris leaves. Fresh cut long grass works too, but mind and pack it tight, it shrinks a lot as it dries and opens up. I just used stripped off lengths of nettle skins for the cords. Roughly spun and doubled up. If you're in a hurry garden twine or sisal works fine too.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Still looking for a Christmas liqueur, Grand Marnier not available. Wine bought. Any ideas? Otherwise feeling quite ok.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Happy Midwinter.
All berries on the holly tree gone. We didn’t see the fieldfares passing through this year but they’ve been thorough.
Rainbow clouds made the Solstice extra special! Very very rare this far south.

Looking forward to 18 around the table on the 25th and cupboards bulge accordingly.

Happy times to all.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Still looking for a Christmas liqueur, Grand Marnier not available. Wine bought. Any ideas? Otherwise feeling quite ok.

Make your own. Shred the outer peel from oranges and soak in vodka (or brandy, which is better if you're in a hurry).....sweeten it up when you strain it.

Lovely stuff, especially over mince pies and ice cream :)

Reactions: TLM

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
But for us the light is coming back, it'll slowly lengthen and strengthen and even though the cold and wet is still with us the days are longer :)
Hey!!! I’d like to hang on to the dark days a bit longer please. I do enjoy the low midday sun flickering through leafless branches as I drive past. I’ve only had a couple of days when the frost nipped my nose and ears. Tradition says that winter shall be “vanquished” but I shall wait a while before wishing it a fond farewell and look forward to its return.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE