The “Isn't Life Great” thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GNJC

Forager
Jul 10, 2005
Carms / Sir Gar
I'm sure it's already been written, but... each time I see this thread's title, it makes me think of the Fast Show sketches with Paul Whitehouse as a northern lad who thinks everything is 'Brilliant!'

• Haha
Reactions: Broch

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Crisp day today, had a nice long dog walk this morning and spotted a fair bit of soggy looking wood scattered on the country roads from recent storms.

Thought I’d give myself a challenge this afternoon rather than ending up at the PC, and see if I could get a fire going with one match and a bunch of soggy tree meat. Took some very careful planning but got there! Sat enjoying my disheveled creation with a brew.

Attachments

• IMG_2770.jpeg
    IMG_2770.jpeg
    345.2 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: Toddy

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Finished knitting my bushcraft balaclava to go with my mitts and socks. All knitted in dark green alpacca wool. I shall now be cosy outside in this cold wet and windy weather. Its very satisfying making your own stuff.
I started last autumn, with a a knitted vest, or sleeveless pullover in the same wool, but a different colour. It feels good to have the whole project finished at last.

Reactions: Toddy

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
That sounds like some great gear goodjob making all that :beerchug:
Thanks, it's been a bit of a slog, but having no TV, it's a good way to pass time while listening to the radio, and I'm making good use of my time with something i can wear..
Got a bit of wool left over, so may make a beanie to go with it all. Annoyingly, not enough for a scarf which would have been the obvious next thing.
I'm always making stuff, I churned out a little butter knife last week for a change out of crafts
wondering what to do next while this weather keeps me indoors more than I'd like..

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Mostly I am sorting kit; making lists and packing into boxes.

That and leatherwork...If I do a bit every day...hopefully it will get done.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Fire’s not lit but I’m sitting by the fireplace, warm and comfortable and listening to the wind roaring in the chimney while I read a chick-lit novel.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Apple tree pruned at long last, and some nice bits of spoon carving wood to be had.
Saw some primroses in bloom today. Very cheery little yellow blooms on a dull day.

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Dog bought another stick home with him today, so thought I’d crack the Bushbox out and boil up some water for a brew in my new Pathfinder bush pot, which I am very happy with. Used some of my newest batch of char cloth to get it going. Was a nice way to spend an hour rather than just feeling tired on the sofa.

We saw a robin out this morning and the daffodils look virtually ready to burst. It was also still just about light when I got back from a day in the office yesterday and it’s been a few months since I had that luxury!

Reactions: Brizzlebush

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
It's been a beautiful day today up at the project.
Spent this morning cutting and pulling out dead wood from a hedge that we want to lay, it's getting a bit late, but we just havnt had the manpower untill today. Give it a week or so, and it will be finished. Also helped build another foot or two of dry stone wall in the afternoon. This too has been held up by awful weather and the need to sort out windblown trees ,Ash dieback and lack of manpower. Followed up with a bonfire, as the afternoon got chillier.
The place is bursting into life with snowdrops and hazel catkins in the woodland, the heavily grazed grass is growing since the sheep moved to other grazing over winter, and a little Robin , resplendant in his red bib, watched us from the hedge and sang thanks for all the nice worms and grubs we exposed for him.
It realy felt like spring had arrived at last.

Reactions: Brizzlebush
I went on a 6.3-mile hike to stalk Columbian Black-Tailed Deer (the local deer species) in order to observe them. I found and observed several groups. But the most exciting part of the hike was finding fresh Bobcat tracks in thick mud. At first, I thought they might be Mountain Lion. But as the cat walked on firmer ground, the tracks shrunk and the toes became less splayed.

- Woodsorrel

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
We had a power cut this afternoon which lasted about 4 hours.

It made everything seem very peaceful. Nice day outside and I seized the opportunity of not being able to work, and started whittling a spoon out of some elm, which was extra relaxing using natural light.

A cut on each hand from some careless cuts on the wood (it’s been a while…) to go with a few of the usual cooking burns, and I feel strangely happy about having ‘used’ hands. They’ve been doing things and have some new scars to show for it. Hopefully finish the spoon off tomorrow, too.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Two yellow sticker cabbages, 40p each. Now have a fermenting jar full of sourkrout, tickled with fennel seeds for a bit of extra oomph.
Also made some potted cheese(stilton). It looks very posh, as I found an empty harrods potted Stilton pot for 50p in the charity shop the other week., and I had the idea of making my own.
I even made my own butter for it!
I'm now awaiting a lovely cottage pie to finish cooking in the oven. I'm realy looking forward to my evening meal tonight.
Some days, I can barely be bothered to make a bowl of porridge, today, I've just had the urge to make wonderful comfort food.

Just added some soft goats milk cheese to that little lot. Am now wondering what to flavour it with, and what to do with the wey, of which I have just over half a litre.

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Two yellow sticker cabbages, 40p each. Now have a fermenting jar full of sourkrout, tickled with fennel seeds for a bit of extra oomph.
Also made some potted cheese(stilton). It looks very posh, as I found an empty harrods potted Stilton pot for 50p in the charity shop the other week., and I had the idea of making my own.
I even made my own butter for it!
I'm now awaiting a lovely cottage pie to finish cooking in the oven. I'm realy looking forward to my evening meal tonight.
Some days, I can barely be bothered to make a bowl of porridge, today, I've just had the urge to make wonderful comfort food.

What time will it be ready? I may be a bit late :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE