Thank you to Ikea

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
For ages I've been using a modified ikea cutlery drainer as a stove. From the pictures on here there's lots of others who do the same.

So my query is what is your favourite bit of gear that was marketed as something else entirely?

Looking forwards to answers to this one!

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
a thin three part steel pipe, about 4 foot long when assembled, originally from an Ikea lamp that works very well as a fire blow pipe.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
That's nice... You could use the slot ladle to funnel water off a ground sheet into a bottle too if you did a complex job involving duct tape...

galopede

Forager
Dec 9, 2004
Gloucestershire
Not me personally but Pete Flood, the drummer of Bellowhead has one of those Ikea cutlery drainers with assorted cutlery in as part of his drum kit, along with assorted old frying pans!

Gareth

Buster80

Forager
Apr 12, 2015
Scotland
I just made a hexy cooker out of a sink strainer,not it's original purpose but seems to work and is ridiculously light.

Buster

Buster80

Forager
Apr 12, 2015
Scotland
With regards to the hobo stove what pots have you found that nest inside?

Do you carry it inside your pack or inside? Seems like a bulky item to take although it doesn't weigh very much.

Cheers

Buster

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
My Hobo kit is a cutlery strainer with a 10cm zebra billy inside with a stainless mug inside with my brew kit inside....oh and the suede bag in the pic goes on the outside to keep the soot of the other gear in my pack:)

attachment.php

Attachments

• P9220473.jpg
    P9220473.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 93

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
An old voile door curtain as a mozzy net. And an old crutch and spade to make a collapsible spade

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Works surprisingly well too. It isn't pretty but it gets the job done. Putting matches inside a drinking straw and melting the ends shut make a good waterproof container for them too.
Making a chimnea burner for the garden out of an old gas bottle this weekend too I'm all about repurpose and upcycle

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
Works surprisingly well too. It isn't pretty but it gets the job done. Putting matches inside a drinking straw and melting the ends shut make a good waterproof container for them too.
Making a chimnea burner for the garden out of an old gas bottle this weekend too I'm all about repurpose and upcycle

What are you using for a chimney on the chimnea? I'm just about to do the same thing and trying to come up with a decent plan for the chimney

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE