TGO Challenge 2012 - My Crossing of Scotland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Looking forward to your photos from this trip :)

Thanks mate, really getting excited now.

Just packed and ready for the off, total weight all in including food and fuel for three days, 8.2kg, I'll take that

My kit list is unchanged from this with the exception of the Heatholder socks, they've now been swapped for some PHD down socks, and the only other thing I've changed is the cup, I've switched for a bigger plastic pot rather than the paper cup or a nasty ti mug. I've also added a hip flask full of sloe gin, a top up is being sent to Braemar :)

Food is exactly as described here, plus I've added more cereal bars, cheese, protein shakes, chocolate, energy tablets and nuts. I think my food for three days weighs as much as the rest of my kit put together.

Two more sleeps to go :red:

Last edited:

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
8.2Kg, my day sack is heavier than that! Good luck, stay warm and enjoy. Or as we say in the media industry, 'break a leg'.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I've really enjoyed following this thread, and top marks for the detailed presentation of your kit lists. All the very best for your trip, Rich.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Best of luck Shewie. I've already started planning my route for next year in the wild hope I get selected in October!

Looking forward to hearing all about it on your safe return!

ATB

KP

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
8.2Kg, my day sack is heavier than that! Good luck, stay warm and enjoy. Or as we say in the media industry, 'break a leg'.

Lol, cheers Bob

I've really enjoyed following this thread, and top marks for the detailed presentation of your kit lists. All the very best for your trip, Rich.

Thanks Ian

Best of luck Shewie. I've already started planning my route for next year in the wild hope I get selected in October!

Looking forward to hearing all about it on your safe return!

ATB

KP

Cheers KP, good luck if you decide to enter.

I'll probably try and do one every three or four years I reckon, it's eaten up so much of my holidays that my canoe trips will suffer this year.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Missed this thread due to my laptop being knackered for more than two months :(
What a crackin' post, Shewie, like others, really looking forward to read about yer trip, don't half envy yer, good trip. ;)

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Hi,

MUGSHOTS are good food, quite tasty.

I would appreciate how rideable the section below is, rideable by MTB. It's a bit of the route I have not ridden. Is it muddy, steps or blocks more than a foot in height etc. Of course you may not remember a week from now ! :cool:

Thursday 17th May - Day Seven

Ruigh-aiteachain to White Bridge

13.96 miles
588 metres of ascent

DAY7SCREEN.jpg

Ruigh-aiteachain bothy NN846 928 – Geldie Lodge NN957870 – Geldie Burn – White Bridge NO019885

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Final packing done and I've managed to creep it back up to 8.8kg, the water filter's made it's way back in the pack as well as a couple of other small items. I've also chucked in a bit more food for the first couple of days, at least I know my pack will drop by around 1kg each day until I pick up my next parcels anyway.

Play nicely

[video=youtube;69AvNm8zubo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69AvNm8zubo[/video]

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi,

MUGSHOTS are good food, quite tasty.

I would appreciate how rideable the section below is, rideable by MTB. It's a bit of the route I have not ridden. Is it muddy, steps or blocks more than a foot in height etc. Of course you may not remember a week from now ! :cool:

Thursday 17th May - Day Seven

Ruigh-aiteachain to White Bridge

13.96 miles
588 metres of ascent

DAY7SCREEN.jpg

Ruigh-aiteachain bothy NN846 928 – Geldie Lodge NN957870 – Geldie Burn – White Bridge NO019885

I believe the section between Feshie and Geldie Burn is a bit of a free for all, plenty of river/stream crossings and a good measure of bog thrown in.

Sounds perfect :)

I'll try and remember to get some snaps

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
Took the guys into Queen St. station this morning after a good nights kip. They were both raring to go and a glint in their eyes (might have been rain). They were knackered unloading all that weight they're carrying from the car :)

Everything's started well and according to plan, long may it continue.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE