TGO Challenge 2012 - My Crossing of Scotland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Me too!

Just ordered a large map of Scotland so I can start plotting routes in the (remote) hope I get selected for next years!

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Oh aye cheers, I'm no technophobe , but I've always wanted a large map on my wall with route visualised. Once I've decided on a couple of likely ones I'll put them into my satmap active 10 or a.n.other online thing to get a fly-thru of them.

I hate having to scroll in and out, left and right all the time when looking at all the options!

ATB

KP

East Coaster

Forager
Oct 21, 2008
Fife/Scotland
Me too!

Just ordered a large map of Scotland so I can start plotting routes in the (remote) hope I get selected for next years!

There's no law which says you have to enter the TGO Challenge to have a walk across Scotland. Plot your route and off you go :D

Looking forward to the write up Shewie, particularly to how you felt about the lightweight approach and how the gear stood up to the challenge.

Well done to all who completed.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
There's no law which says you have to enter the TGO Challenge to have a walk across Scotland. Plot your route and off you go :D

Looking forward to the write up Shewie, particularly to how you felt about the lightweight approach and how the gear stood up to the challenge.

Well done to all who completed.

So true...

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Just wondered where about's on the TGO this is ? Looks a cracking spot !

(I'd been Googling the Trailstar tarp with a view to making a DIY version)

TGO-Challenge-2010-035.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thursday 10th May - Day Zero

After consuming the best mixed kebab on naan that I’ve ever eaten as well as several lagers with Stuart and Josh the night before I woke up feeling fairly good, and just a little bit giddy about what was to come. We had plenty of time for a brew and some last minute checks of the rucksacks and then Stuart gave us a lift to Queen Street station for our 10:10 to Inverness.
I expected Queen Street to be full of other TGO’ers but I only saw a handful, we grabbed a nasty coffee from one of the kiosks and retired outside to top up the nicotine ahead of the journey. Time was almost up so we headed for our carriage, found our seats and met our first fellow Challengers of the trip, Mike and Marion Parsons, or “We just stopped for an early lunch” as we later referred to them. We had a good chat on the way up, their routed sounded much more adventurous than ours and we were probably 30 years younger than them, “We’re keeping it nice and simple for our first crossing” was our excuse.
The connection at Inverness was fairly painless and we were soon chugging westwards through some pretty baron landscapes along Strathconon Forest, a rip off eight pound odd for a 4 mile ride and we stepped off the bus at Sheil Bridge bus shelter. The camp site was a few hundred yards away so we headed over and got booked in, not the fanciest of camp sites but the basics were there, plus they sold cold beers in the shop.

Tarp setup at Sheil Bridge camp site
P1000640P.jpg

After having some grub we took a stroll up the hill behind the campsite, enjoyed a couple of cold ones and discussed the plan for day one.

River at the back of the site
P1000642P.jpg

Friday 11th May - Day One

Shiel Bridge to Glen Affric

14.53 miles (planned)
775 metres of ascent (planned)

17.42 miles (actual)
862 metres of ascent (actual)

DAY1SCREEN.jpg

Friday morning was wet, cold and grey, I’d slept really well though so got up to face the elements and take a stroll over to the shower block. By the time I got back Mick was unzipping his tent and was getting up. I noticed some of the likely looking one man TGO tents had already disappeared, it was only half seven and we had to wait until nine before we could start the Challenge, maybe the others new where we could get a decent breakfast from? Into the rations then for breakfast, golden syrup porridge with granola and milk powder, washed down with a Kenco 3-in-1.

Walking to our sign out at Kintail Lodge Hotel, that’s a Llama I think?
P1000644P.jpg

Dipping the toes in the west coast ocean
P1000646P.jpg

Me
P1000647P.jpg

Mick, steady
P1000648P.jpg

Walking under Carn-gorm on our way to the Mountain Rescue Post
P1000650P.jpg

Turning SE into Gleann Lichd
P1000652P.jpg

Heading to Glenlicht House
P1000654P.jpg

Approaching Allt Grannda waterfalls
P1000658P.jpg

Heading for Fionngleann
P1000659P.jpg

Looking back to the west, Alltbeithe roof reflecting
P1000660P.jpg

We’d pushed on for a couple of extra miles on the first day, not for any particular reason other than we were being a bit fussy about campsite selection. Although we were following the river down the valley, the obvious campsites we’d spotted in the planning were either under water or looking very soggy. We made our way down the glen as the landscape started to change again, we could see trees in the distance which meant we were getting close to Loch Affric. A quick check of the map showed a couple of promising spots, the first one being a large crescent shaped beach with flat drained grassland behind it, it was perfect. Tent and tarp were pitched and we relaxed in the last couple of hours of daylight. Another challenger arrived as we were about to retire, Julian was his name, we would refer to him as Wing Commander. We found out later that he was actually in the forces, total fluke that one :)

Campsite for night one, Loch Affric
P1000663P.jpg

Last edited:

Suffolksteve

Forager
May 24, 2010
Suffolk
Looks amazing!

I have been keeping an eye out for this ever since I read your pre trip posts and I'm looking forward to the updates.

Thanks for taking the time.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Good photos, looks like a good challenge to do.

I was down round Braemar on the 20th May with a local walking group [there were 17 of us], met quite a few people who were doing the TGO - maybe you were one of them! Good to see people out 'n' about having a good time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE