TGO Challenge 2012 - My Crossing of Scotland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Excellent!! Looking forward to reading this mate!!!
How is the kit list coming along??
I would imagine it's changed several times!!!
Food must be a massive problem too even though your planning on pick ups every few days!!
Best of luck rich, enjoy it!!
All the best
Steve

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk 2

Podcast Bob

I've done it 6 times now I think, and covered most of the places in your route, which from what I remember you've chosen a lovely route. So I'm sure weather permitting, you'll have a lovely time. It rained solid for 10 days last year, which killed it a bit for us. ;-(

Your first day might be more of a slog than you anticipate, as the long climb up that burn gets pretty hard going underfoot near the top. But as it's your first day, just remember to take it easy and not rush at it. Enthusiasm and adrenalin often carry people for much longer first 2 days the first couple of times they do the TGOC, and then you can feel very tired day 3-4 which leads to a negative mindset.

Day 4 makes sure you start really early. The road over the Corrieyairack Pass has got progressively worse over the years, but that I mean large rocks which can mess with your feet as you rock and roll over them, no matter the footwear you've got. If by then you've got sore feet and blisters then start early, take it slow and enjoy the rest at Blackburn Bothy.

On day 6, when you get to the Glen Feshie bothy don't camp close to it as it is the last place in the morning to get the rising sun. Pitch about 100 m away nearer the river. I've been there and had boots frozen to the ground when it gets chilly, so a bit of sunshine is more than welcome in the morning. It is also a place where a lot of Scots guys go for some male bonding, and this can mean a bit of a ****** racket late at night.

There's going to be quite a few people pitching at White Bridge I understand this year and there isn't much space for more than 3-4 tents. About 1-2km before it there's a wide open space by the river with lots of nice soft ground to lie on!! There isn't much choice after it before you hit the road.

Day 10 you'll already be warned about not camping at Glas-allt-Shiel. The bothy is a very small and dark place. If you want to camp, look for a spot before the decent down to the loch. However by then you'll have made some good friends so you'll have more choices I'm sure.

Day 11 is a long slog especially when you're getting past Shielin of Mark. Hope your navigation is good as a few degrees error adds a hell of a lot of heather bashing to get back on track. But you'll be glad of that Bacon sarnie by the time you get to Tarfside. I prefer to camp on the football pitch in Tarfside rather than stay in the hostel. Then you are right opposite the Mason's lodge for cheap beer at night and you can nip down the road to the Hostel to have a decent shower all for nothing!

Day 12 ask people for a few short cut tips to reduce the amount of road walking on the way to North Water Bridge campsite. Once you go into the village for a well earned cuppa in the cafe, there's a short cut across the river bridge and though the woods which brings you out further down the road and reduces that long LOOOOONNG slog.

Day 13 I think there's another couple of slight short cuts on this day, but it is still primarily a road walk. The cafe has closed a St Cyrus I understand which is a shame, but there's a pub a short walk down the road, which may still be open.

I'm not sure it will help, but if you visit theoutdoorsstation.co.uk website you'll find a 5 part video, and if you search you'll find the 4 audio series of previous crossings, which involve some of the places you are going through.

I hope the weather is kind to you. It was miserable last year, and the previous year I missed there was only 30 minutes of rain in 2 weeks!! I've had snow, storms, gales and rain and a little sunshine. It really is a lovely part of the world on a good day and 'challenging' on a bad one. Make sure you have plenty of tick protection/removers and watch out for the Midge. They are out in abundance due to the warmer weather. I recommend the Gehwol Foot Cream Extra and Refreshing Balm. Never had a blister since I started using them.

Hope that helps. And don't forget to SLOW DOWN!! Everyone makes the same mistake the first time out of the starting blocks. There's no rush. Say 'hi' to John and Roger for me when you get to Montrose.

Fell Monkey

Tenderfoot
Apr 4, 2012
South Cheshire
I am green with envy! I echo what everyone else says really, good to stay positive, dont forget the vaseline! Live for the moment, you will have an experience to tell forever.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Makes my Wainrights Coast to Coast look like a walk in the park!
( It was, - the National Park!! )
All the very best for it , take care.
Chris.

Cheers Chris

Looks great - best of luck Rich. Look forward to reading of your adventures soon
Regards
Dave

Thanks Dave

This sounds like a great trip to do, I will look forward to your updates mate :)

Lots of piccies as usual I hope

Nice one Rich, looks like a good slog mate.

Day 4's gonna be fun by the looks of it. Some serious contours along that route:)

Yup day 4 will be the ball breaker, an early night is in order the day before

First of all good luck and have a great time
Also Thanks for sharing your Challenge with us I am really looking forward to following it
One day I might give it a go myself;the concept definitely appeals
Kit list?

Thanks mate, kit list should be up tomorrow hopefully

Good stuff mate yerrrrrrrrrrr

Yerrrrrr, bring it on

That looks fantastic ! Good look with the trip !

What's your estimate for the pack weight? when you have refuelled for the next few days ?

Pack weight will be somewhere in the region of 8kg including fuel & food, I'll weigh it tomorrow though.

Best of luck with that certainly well planned out. BEST of luck. :)

Thanks James

Excellent!! Looking forward to reading this mate!!!
How is the kit list coming along??
I would imagine it's changed several times!!!
Food must be a massive problem too even though your planning on pick ups every few days!!
Best of luck rich, enjoy it!!
All the best
Steve

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk 2

Kit list is nearly complete, keep your eye out for it tomorrow

... Snip ...

Some great advice thanks Bob, you've given me a few things to think about. I'll have to check my notes for the Glas-allt-Shiel now, I'm pretty sure my vetter said we could camp at the southern end of the loch near the bothy?

I am green with envy! I echo what everyone else says really, good to stay positive, dont forget the vaseline! Live for the moment, you will have an experience to tell forever.

Vaseline? It's not that kind of trip :)

Looks like a great adventure ahead. Best of luck to you. :)

Thanks Martin

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
I reckon you have selected a very interesting route there - I hope the weather is kind to you but I'm sure that won't bother you too much :)

Good luck with your trek!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
shewie my mate i am well jelous and as soon as i have the light weight kit i would seriously like to join u to do this but not fit enough nor do i have the kit

Sounds like a plan Drew

I reckon you have selected a very interesting route there - I hope the weather is kind to you but I'm sure that won't bother you too much :)

Good luck with your trek!

Thanks mate, most of it will be new ground to me so really looking forward to it. We'll do a few higher routes next time if it goes well.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
cool stuff, good for you mate. I can open the blog up for you :D

Good luck with it, next year you'll have a buck group doing it with you :D

Lol, I did consider plotting a route for hammocks all the way.

Show me the way to the blog :) Is it easy to transfer it across?

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Looking good mate, you've got some cracking scenery to pass through. The perfect time of year for it too.

Fingers are crossed for decent weather and a lack of midges for ya :).

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
All the best for this Rich, looks like a good un..

Cheers Andy

Looking good mate, you've got some cracking scenery to pass through. The perfect time of year for it too.

Fingers are crossed for decent weather and a lack of midges for ya :).

Got everything crossed here mate

you lucky sod Rich, very envious of you....:(

but best of luck, it will be an awesome trip...:dancer:

Cheers Chris, really looking forward to it now

Snow down to 1100ft in the Ochils tiday, and on the hills further north.

And I'm wearing running shoes, should be a good laugh

Hey Rich, looking forward to the blog of your trip, and also fingers crossed this cold snap killed of a "few" midges and ticks for you :)

Hello stranger, after this is over you'll be sick of me saying "When I was on the TGO ..." :)

Break a leg Rich, I'm looking forward to your reports.

All the best, Michael.

Noooooo! Don't say that :)

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
Fantastic trip.
I know a lot of the areas well and your in for an absolute treat.
I hope the weather works for you as the experience will be much richer (a bit of bad weather always adds to a trip in my experience though)

Quite jealous I must say. I haven't been on a proper backpacking trip for years and look forward to seeing the pics and report.

Best of luck

Chris

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Fantastic trip.
I know a lot of the areas well and your in for an absolute treat.
I hope the weather works for you as the experience will be much richer (a bit of bad weather always adds to a trip in my experience though)

Quite jealous I must say. I haven't been on a proper backpacking trip for years and look forward to seeing the pics and report.

Best of luck

Chris

Thanks Chris, only 20 more sleeps to go

Kit list added if anyone's interested, I'll add some more info when I get back from the Lakes on Sunday night

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE